Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2015 5:17:16 PM EDT
This belonged to my Dad, found it going through his stuff after he passed.  Was hoping that someone could help me identify it.  No markings on it other than what you see in the last picture.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the Marine Raider or OSS dagger, modeled after the Sykes-Fairbain
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the Marine Raider or OSS dagger, modeled after the Sykes-Fairbain
View Quote

As much as I would love it to be a USMC dagger, the info you gave led me to this:

http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/p2/fs_knife_p22.htm

Looks to be a 2nd pattern British fighting knife.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
2nd Pattern Fairbairn Sykes knife with hand ground blade.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Any idea on value?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any idea on value?
View Quote

Almost all the F&S that you can find in USA, have the : Made in England on the guard. These markings were for the export.
Your model have not ENGLAND.
Some price here : http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/fs.htm

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
It's well used, look at sold auctions on Ebay. I would guess about $5-600?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Indeed, 2nd patters S-F. Has the British Broad Arrow acceptance mark. Very cool piece of history. Any idea how your dad got the knife?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Indeed, 2nd patters S-F. Has the British Broad Arrow acceptance mark. Very cool piece of history. Any idea how your dad got the knife?
View Quote

I dont...he never mentioned it.  He was in the Navy in Korea '50-'51 so maybe traded for it or something?  Just speculation as I don't know how he would have come across it.

Found it in a box with some old switchblades.  I'll put some pics of those up soon.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I dont...he never mentioned it.  He was in the Navy in Korea '50-'51 so maybe traded for it or something?  Just speculation as I don't know how he would have come across it.

Found it in a box with some old switchblades.  I'll put some pics of those up soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is an awesome heirloom, even if your dad didn't talk about it.  I hope that you hold on to it.

I have always loved the FS style knives, I wish that someone made a quality repop of the smaller agent version.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think I'll keep this one.  As cool as it is, I'd much rather see it go to someone who would appreciate it more than me.  As it is, it holds no sentimental value like some of his other items do.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]
The field modified scabbard is a nice touch. it looks like the OE elastic strap is long gone. Still a cool piece.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think I'll keep this one.  As cool as it is, I'd much rather see it go to someone who would appreciate it more than me.  As it is, it holds no sentimental value like some of his other items do.
View Quote

If you have an contacts with the British Royal Marines most of them would be interested in getting it.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you have an contacts with the British Royal Marines most of them would be interested in getting it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wish I did, I trained with those guys way before email addresses

What would be the best venue to sell this piece....ebay?  
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eBay or the EE here.  There are also a couple knife forums out there where it may get more exposure.  How much are you planning on asking?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I dont, thats why I was thinking of eBay.  Prices are all over the place there so its hard to gauge.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top