Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/24/2015 8:28:42 AM EDT
So I have a "Tactical Tomahawk" that I need to put an edge on.

It has the primary edge put on, but it need the final edge. The way it is ground, I can either put a compound bevel, or a compound convex. I cannot do a full convex edge.

While this Tomahawk will be used, I would consider it a "light duty" tomahawk. I want to use it, but I dont want to be beating it to death.

The steel material is S7, not sure if that matters.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you plan on using it on softer materials then just do a flat grind edge like a knife. If it will be used hard against tough material then convex.

I would do convex.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you plan on using it on softer materials then just do a flat grind edge like a knife. If it will be used hard against tough material then convex.

I would do convex.
View Quote

I would do convex as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would do convex.

Yup, Think I am going to go with the middle one of the picture above. It already has the main bevel on it, so I cannot do just a straight convex.

I still think for my intended use though, I think that edge will be plenty good for what I need.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't worry too much about 'shaving' sharp. Just get a good clean profile and a moderate good edge. You will dull them in time anyway. I keep a double sided smooth file on hand. one side I sanded on the belt sander to take some cut off. It works well to finish the edge.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top