Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 8/23/2015 3:00:38 PM EDT
I just had the opportunity to try this grinder out at a friends house.  I sharpened my Emerson and Surefire Echo on it and holy crap they are indeed "scary sharp".  I've never had them this sharp before and I love it.  Both these knives have chisel grinds and the Ken Onion  produces a convex grind.  WOW I am impressed.  I think I need this sharpener in my shop.  I'm a diamond stone kinda guy but it's hard to argue with the ease and efficiency of the sharp maker.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice review.  I have yet to get the hang of mine, but expect to get great results too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Spent about an hour and sharpened all the knives in our church kitchen (about 35).  Not shaving sharp, as many folks who work in there don't seem to get the idea that knife = sharp , but put a nice edge on them quickly with an intermediate grit belt.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I also have one. It made knife maintenance so easy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Spent about an hour and sharpened all the knives in our church kitchen (about 35).  Not shaving sharp, as many folks who work in there don't seem to get the idea that knife = sharp , but put a nice edge on them quickly with an intermediate grit belt.

Doc
View Quote
Every time I help someone by sharpening their stuff, someone cuts themselves somewhere along the line.

Now, I just make fun of them about it and don't bother.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
They work great.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine arrived on Saturday and since I have sharpened all of the wifes kitchen knives and some of my outdoor knives.  Next I want to work on some axes and machetees.  I think they are a great afordable product.  Best to spend a little extra and get the Ken Onion model with the variblle speed motor.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm leary of anything with a belt.  Probably just a personal prejudice.  Love my Edge Pro Apex.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I love mine, but haven't really tried any of my Emersons on it.  It has gotten knives which i have never been able to get sharp to scary edge status.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one...I used it on cheap knives for about 6 months to a year before i got the courage up to use it on a Bark River Bravo one that I just could not sharpen by stropping.

I pretty much used the two finest grit belts and had it set to 20 dg and was able to get it back to being hair shaving sharp..

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I just recently purchased one of the KO work sharps.  Holy cow, this thing is amazing.  there's almost no learning curve and you can take a junker damaged edge to shaving-sharp in minutes.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top