Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 11:59:32 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting my 9yo son his first pocket knife.  I was wonder what the input from other parents is toward what knife to get.  
I want something with a lock on it that he can operate, I don't want a frame lock as I think it would be too easy for him to close the blade on his thumb trying to disengage the lock.
Boys pants don't seem to have very deep pockets so I want a clip at the minimum but a belt sheath included would be nice.  A Buck 110 is probably too big.  Of course money is a consideration but I'm not looking to go to cheap.  
He doesn't need anything assisted either.
Some ideas so far are Buck vantage small, Byrd meadowlark, Ontario Rat 2.

So give me your input on what worked for you.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking at getting my 9yo son his first pocket knife...  A Buck 110 is probably too big.  Of course money is a consideration but I'm not looking to go too cheap.  

Thanks.
View Quote

If you like Buck...

Buck 55 (2 3/8" blade) - ~$35 @ Amazon

Buck Bantam BBW (2 3/4" blade) - ~$22 @ Amazon

This knife is available with a number of handle patterns - see (above) link for photos
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say something like a Case XX Stockman knife or a Victorinox "Swiss Army" knife.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want something with a lock on it that he can operate...
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the "Knives for Kids" program at Knivesshipfree...
Knives for Kids

$10 for a Buck that they personalize with a laser engraving of your child's name...  I got one for both of my kids for Easter earlier this year.

Josh
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Any SAK.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you like Buck...

http://www.buckknives.com/images/products/hero/0055BRS-B.jpg

http://www.buckknives.com/images/products/hero/0284CMS18-B.jpg
This knife is available with a number of handle patterns - see (above) link for photos
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm looking at getting my 9yo son his first pocket knife...  A Buck 110 is probably too big.  Of course money is a consideration but I'm not looking to go too cheap.  

Thanks.

If you like Buck...

http://www.buckknives.com/images/products/hero/0055BRS-B.jpg

http://www.buckknives.com/images/products/hero/0284CMS18-B.jpg

I came here to suggest the buck 55 as well. If he manages to hold onto it, it'll have enough class to still be a nice knife for him as an adult.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I had thought about the Buck 55, may have to go check one out.  While I had thought about a SAK, my daughter managed to cut herself pretty good with a knife that didn't lock so I was looking to prevent more stiches the second time around.

I like the Buck options, really would prefer a USA made knife.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Let him pick it with your help. Explain the quality and why you like models chose by you. Or you pick one and let him pick one, buy both.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My kid is seven and does fine with a frame lock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My kid is seven and does fine with a frame lock.

View Quote

Mine has his own fixed blade and has used my frame lock Sebenza and Axis locked 940-1
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Swiss Army knives make models with locking blades and they are great.  But I think a nice Kershaw would be best.  Inexpensive, well built, and warranted for life.  Something like the Kershaw Leek for around $40.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
When my son was 8 I started him off with cheap Spyderco knockoff from our junk drawer that was extremely dull. I told him if he still had the knife when he turned 9, I'd take him out let him pick a better knife. He guarded that POS knife like it was worth a million dollars for a whole year. When he turned 9 he picked out a little $30 Kershaw and loved it. He turned 10 this past June and I gave him a Kershaw Cryo II ($65). What he doesn't know is that there is a NIB ZT 0350 in my safe for his 11th birthday.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
What about getting him a fixed blade?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Kershaw leek is what you seek
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#15]
swiss army cadet is always a good one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Kershaw leek is what you seek
View Quote

Too delicate for a kid,  will break the tip guaranteed.  

Something along the lines of a cryo would be my choice.

Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I know you asked about folders, and if you find one you like, great. I suggest looking at a Mora Companion. No locks or folding mechanisms to worry about, plenty of handle to hold onto, a good working blade, and you can get them for less than $20.  I beat the crap out of mine and it's never let me down yet.  I started each of my kids with one (in blaze orange to make it harder to lose) and they love them.  Hell, for what they sell for get him a nice folder AND a Mora that he can be a little harder on while he learns responsible knife handling.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#18]
My first knife was like this, but it didn't have the stag handle

Uncle Henry Rancher
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't buy anything that doesn't have a lock on it. I bought my son a Kershaw Leek. He wears it proudly in his pocket when we are out and about.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for a Swiss Army. If you get him a cool knife he will try to be cool with it. SA's are neat not cool.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#21]
A tad late to the game but listed below are the knives I bought over the years for my boy.

-age 5 Case #118
-age 6 Gerber Multi-Tool "Suspension"
-age 7 Victorinox BSA Stay Glow Climber (glow in the dark swiss army knife)
-age 8 Benchmade Mini Griptillian
-age 9...not quite sure yet, possibly a fixed blade of some sort.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top