Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Thoughts on Treeman?

Treeman
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Cold Steel Recon Tanto.  Sorry, no pics of mine.

Google, or Bing, or Duck Duck Go some Cold Steel Recon Tanto torture test videos.  This thing is nearly indestructible.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd look at Spartan Blades

I just picked up the Phrike

(Top knife)

Now I'm thinking about the Horkos

Or the Ares

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Do It! I dare ya! :)
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thoughts on Treeman?

Treeman
View Quote

I have one.  Fit and finish was much better than I expected.  The entire knife looks to be made by CNC, so they're perfect like a Chris Reeve.  C4 kydex sheaths are top notch too.  Interchangeable scales are a cool feature and they're well made too.  All around a great deal even considering the premium price.  Nice people to deal with too, always helpful and pleasant.  

O1 steel is a feature for me, it might not be for someone who wants boutique stainless steel.  O1 is tough, easy to sharpen, and it takes an extremely fine edge.  That's a plus for me, but like I said, for some it's not.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bill Harsey, Rustick Knives, Chris Reeves, American Kami, Spartan Blades, Wilmont, Winkler. In no particular order
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The knife in this post is the model Seal Pup SEKI - JAPAN made.
Here, some Wiki infos ;
SOG manufactures a knife used by the United States Navy SEALs dubbed the SEAL 2000.[3] The SOG SEAL 2000 is a 7" bladed fixed blade knife with a rubber handle that was designed for the US Navy SEAL Knife trials in 1992. The knife was manufactured from 1995 to 2007 for SOG by Kinryu of Seki Japan. Both the Seal 2000 and the smaller version, the Seal Pup are on display in the knife exhibit at the US Navy SEAL Museum in Ft.Pierce, Florida.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sure this is open to debate and is high subjective, but in your opinion and if price was no object who makes the very best combat blades? In terms of aesthetics, durability, and quality.

This, SOG

<a href="http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/M9M4/media/M9M4%20SOGknifeSEKImadeJAPAN_zps9sttiniw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g450/M9M4/M9M4%20SOGknifeSEKImadeJAPAN_zps9sttiniw.jpg</a>

Is that the SEAL or the Pup? If it was the SEAL what year was it made? The new ones aren't nearly as good as the old ones.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Here, some Wiki infos ;
SOG manufactures a knife used by the United States Navy SEALs dubbed the SEAL 2000.[3] The SOG SEAL 2000 is a 7" bladed fixed blade knife with a rubber handle that was designed for the US Navy SEAL Knife trials in 1992. The knife was manufactured from 1995 to 2007 for SOG by Kinryu of Seki Japan. Both the Seal 2000 and the smaller version, the Seal Pup are on display in the knife exhibit at the US Navy SEAL Museum in Ft.Pierce, Florida.

And I have one of each

Eta:  of the originals...
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have one.  Fit and finish was much better than I expected.  The entire knife looks to be made by CNC, so they're perfect like a Chris Reeve.  C4 kydex sheaths are top notch too.  Interchangeable scales are a cool feature and they're well made too.  All around a great deal even considering the premium price.  Nice people to deal with too, always helpful and pleasant.  

O1 steel is a feature for me, it might not be for someone who wants boutique stainless steel.  O1 is tough, easy to sharpen, and it takes an extremely fine edge.  That's a plus for me, but like I said, for some it's not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thoughts on Treeman?

Treeman

I met him and his wife at a knife show. Good people. I bought one of his recon hunters. I love it and the sheath is top notch kydex! I recently purchased a knife from a different maker and the kydex was terrible. Makes me appreciate the treemans kydex more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Money no object yet people are naming cheap imports like Cold Steel and SOG? Randalls are pretty and well made but there modern metallurgy has produced steels that are superior in every way to what they've been using since the 1970s.
For a general purpose combat knife I'd probably choose something like the Sibert Scout.
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b489/trbrst/7107fee7b1b5630e8392ee5453111063_zpsfjzeymdl.jpg
View Quote

That's a nice looking knife.  The website doesn't mentioned which steel is used to make the blade.

ETA - Nevermind, I found it on another page:

Crucible Steels premium CPM S30V stainless is used exclusively. Knives are professionally heat treated by MET-TEK with a
triple temper and cryogenic soak to a Rockwell hardness of 59-60. S30V exhibits better edge retention then
ATS-34 or D-2, while still retaining a higher degree of toughness.

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Money no object yet people are naming cheap imports like Cold Steel and SOG? Randalls are pretty and well made but there modern metallurgy has produced steels that are superior in every way to what they've been using since the 1970s.

For a general purpose combat knife I'd probably choose something like the Sibert Scout.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b489/trbrst/7107fee7b1b5630e8392ee5453111063_zpsfjzeymdl.jpg
View Quote
That is pure sex!

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do It! I dare ya! :)
View Quote

That may have to be another day. Just bought the new Southard/ Spyderco collaboration. My Carbon fiber fetish is too strong
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the Bowie knife has the best track record for fucking people up with a knife.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#14]
*shrug* I like bayonets and bowie knifes for fighting / combat, not that I have ever been in a knife fight, nor do I want to be, but seeing as the Bowie was born of knife fighting it seems to be a logical way to go. I don't own a bowie, I do own some U.S. Army bayonets, I think i'll soon buy a Glock straight blade (can't remember the nomenclature off the top of my head) and BK9. BK9 is a heck of a knife for the money.

Not into blades enough to care about the super duper special custom whiz bang stuff. Though I do plan to make my own before to long using a piece of a huge elk shed as a handle, not sure if I want to do a hidden tang or full tang design with it yet, but I think I will make the blade bowie-ish. And maybe make a 2nd more as a skinning knife. I will likely value them over the others as it's something I made. Not sure what steel I want to use yet. Has the OP considered making his own custom blade? So long as you have a good bench grinder, a few files, sand paper etc. you can make something decent, you don't need a torch or forge and BFH.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I met him and his wife at a knife show. Good people. I bought one of his recon hunters. I love it and the sheath is top notch kydex! I recently purchased a knife from a different maker and the kydex was terrible. Makes me appreciate the treemans kydex more.
View Quote

Those sheaths are made by Frank Landau.  I have a couple of Frank's sheaths for Busses.  I'm spoiled now, I want one for everything I have!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Requirements for a good fixed blade-

Must be FIXED blade. Not some broken blade

Under 4 inchs blade length. 4 inches is plenty to hit vitals while not being absurdly long. Longer the blade, easier to strip from your hands.

No serrations. Serrations gets caught in clothing very easily. You want a blade that can move easily in and out of many clothing options.

Handle must have orientation for finger placement. You may have to fight in the dark. Having a groove to indicate where your fingers should be based on edge orientation.

Enlarged pummel for easier draw. Preferably a curved design.

Correct choil placement.

Spearpoint design. Blades just as the Izula Esee aren't good for fighting. Why? No spear point for penetration. When fighting with a blade, you want to concentrate on "entries." Not slashes. The Romans proved stabbing was far deadlier than slashing.

Grind- I like convex or flat grind. Easy to sharpen both of these grinds on multiple mediums.

Lastly...A GOOD SHEATH. No one talks about a sheaths for some odd reason. It's literally half the battle.

Take classes! Sayoc, Pekiti, etc. There are a lot more wackos teaching blade work than in the firearms industry. Be careful who you learn from!

To the OP, it would be wise to take advice from FMA practitioners. Folks who have a background in blade arts.

What blades I do like. Gerber Guardian, Cold Steel Secret Edge, Rat Blade from Head Hunter blades of Guro Harley, any Joe Watson Blade.

When folks post their favorite blades, try asking why they like it. It's very telling if they have good answers or not.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And I have one of each

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sure this is open to debate and is high subjective, but in your opinion and if price was no object who makes the very best combat blades? In terms of aesthetics, durability, and quality.

This, SOG

<a href="http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/M9M4/media/M9M4%20SOGknifeSEKImadeJAPAN_zps9sttiniw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g450/M9M4/M9M4%20SOGknifeSEKImadeJAPAN_zps9sttiniw.jpg</a>

Is that the SEAL or the Pup? If it was the SEAL what year was it made? The new ones aren't nearly as good as the old ones.

Here, some Wiki infos ;

And I have one of each

Got a Tigershark in 07, steel seems the same but the handle is a little bit softer. This was before they started putting the ridiculous handguard and skull crusher on the handle. IOW it's another nice example of the old SOGs.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#18]

You always seem to have good taste in your knife selection
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks! I
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want the best fixed blade currently on the market the Busse Team Gemini Light Brigade fits the bill perfectly, you can get stupid with the knife and it is big enough to be used as a fighter.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you want the best fixed blade currently on the market the Busse Team Gemini Light Brigade fits the bill perfectly, you can get stupid with the knife and it is big enough to be used as a fighter.
http://i.imgur.com/01Qn2UQh.jpg
View Quote

No longer made; in fact, it looks like there are no more Busse Combats are available?  Or end of year sell-out for Christmas kind of thing?

Busse Combat Knives
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No longer made; in fact, it looks like there are no more Busse Combats are available?  Or end of year sell-out for Christmas kind of thing?

Busse Combat Knives
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/01Qn2UQh.jpg

Busse Combat Knives

No one is really sure whats up currently I know TGLB's are readily available on the secondary market. My guess is by Black Friday or so knives will start being released. The Team Gemini has been discontinued and will probably not be made for a while unfortunately.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I am by no means a knife expert

when I went ti iraq in 03
I carriesd a cold steel voyager tanto 4" 1/2 serrated
that knife opened countless spam cams of war saw pact ammo, cut into tons of us made c-4 cakes, opened 1 year=s worth of ME=REs cut hundreds of feet of detcord, 550 cord.  not to mention hundreds of hours od guard duty where I bored MIND NUMBED  oped and closed it nonstop for entire nights at  a TIME.   and never broke.

I could n't ask anything to perform better  

that was my answer when this question came up for real.  

in fixed blade I like the Ontario 1FT I like bayonets & I like tanto blades
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#24]
No love for Mick Strider ?

names that come to mind are
Pete Skike
L.T. Wright
Battle Horse
RMJ
T.M Hunt
Jericho blade works

For production knives
tops
busse
zombie tools
southern grind
spartan blades
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No love for Mick Strider ?

names that come to mind are
Pete Skike
L.T. Wright
Battle Horse
RMJ
T.M Hunt
Jericho blade works

For production knives
tops
busse
zombie tools
southern grind
spartan blades
View Quote

Nope not for combat knives, Strider's heat treat makes the blades chip easily, and shatter if say you land on it in full ruck. Skike is getting out of the fixed blade market with the launch of his new "Rogue Shark" knives and honestly LT Wright and Battle Horse IMHO aren't good battle blades. Busse combat is still the way to go and if you are on a budget ESEE is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my 3 Randalls (Model 1, Model 14 and a Model 4-6)....great knives....some of the best "fighters" made BUT I would grab my Winkler II Belt Knife if I had to "grab and go" - It is my favorite hands down.

You should look into the Winkler, you wouldn't regret it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#27]
After having been overseas and running the gamut of large knives to small knives, fixed blades and folders. In my experience the perfect combo is a good folding knife with around a 3" blade and a fixed blade with a good steel around 8-9" overall with around a 3-4" blade. Having been making my own knives for a few years now one of my latest knives is what I consider a perfect EDC/COMBAT/SAR/HUNTING/ANYTHING knife. Not really a plug just showing that my tastes have evolved with experience into a small simple fixed blade.

I also think the Strider DB looks like a very useful and simple knife.

Godrilla47 also makes one that I would consider a great all around knife, I think its the 5to5 model.

Here is the Reaper (my EDC knife, and combat blade)

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I guess I cringe at the prices, but "feel" my comfort zone is fixed blade less than $150 for the mainliners (Cold Steel, ESEE, etc).

On the "high end" I guess I would go $200-$400 but become very wary at what I am getting at for those prices;  I am still leaning towards Treeman but now Cold Steel is using O1 "high carbon" steel too.

The Busse Gemini Light Brigade is $800-1000, which seems quite a bit up there (did this happen due to the Walking Dopes anti-gun Daryl?)

Meh, I will keep paying attention here
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nope not for combat knives, Strider's heat treat makes the blades chip easily, and shatter if say you land on it in full ruck. Skike is getting out of the fixed blade market with the launch of his new "Rogue Shark" knives and honestly LT Wright and Battle Horse IMHO aren't good battle blades. Busse combat is still the way to go and if you are on a budget ESEE is hard to beat.
View Quote

I'm an LT Wright fan but I wouldn't consider them combat knives either.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Under 4 inchs blade length. 4 inches is plenty to hit vitals while not being absurdly long. Longer the blade, easier to strip from your hands.

No serrations. Serrations gets caught in clothing very easily. You want a blade that can move easily in and out of many clothing options.

Handle must have orientation for finger placement. You may have to fight in the dark. Having a groove to indicate where your fingers should be based on edge orientation.

Correct choil placement.

Spearpoint design. Blades just as the Izula Esee aren't good for fighting. Why? No spear point for penetration. When fighting with a blade, you want to concentrate on "entries." Not slashes. The Romans proved stabbing was far deadlier than slashing.

Grind- I like convex or flat grind. Easy to sharpen both of these grinds on multiple mediums.

Lastly...A GOOD SHEATH. No one talks about a sheaths for some odd reason. It's literally half the battle.

Take classes! Sayoc, Pekiti, etc. There are a lot more wackos teaching blade work than in the firearms industry. Be careful who you learn from!

To the OP, it would be wise to take advice from FMA practitioners. Folks who have a background in blade arts.

What blades I do like. Gerber Guardian, Cold Steel Secret Edge, Rat Blade from Head Hunter blades of Guro Harley, any Joe Watson Blade.

When folks post their favorite blades, try asking why they like it. It's very telling if they have good answers or not.
View Quote

Great points on selecting a knife for fighting.

I carried a Gerber Guardian as an Infantry LT in Korea.  Loved that knife!  Somehow lost it years ago.  I might have to buy another one, although this thrad has me wanting an Applegate Fairbairn as well.

Those Joe Watson blades look really nice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I carried a Gerber Guardian as an Infantry LT in Korea.  Loved that knife!  Somehow lost it years ago.  I might have to buy another one, although this thrad has me wanting an Applegate Fairbairn as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct choil placement.

Glad to see that someone else on Arfcom gets it. Few do.

The guardians are cheap enough to have a few to use at throwers too!

Seriously look into a JW blade. He works with titanium and CPM 154. He has EXCELLENT heat treat and the craft is phenomenal. Design is superb, unlike many knive makers. Very functional and intentional in every detail in his blades.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
click me

Microtech jagdkommando

I think this should win the thread
View Quote

Uh no. Fuck no
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Might depend on what you consider the "best." It's not high up there in price, but I know a ton of guys overseas who all carry ESSE fixed blades. They're all built like tanks, have a kick ass warranty, and can take some abuse.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

After having been overseas and running the gamut of large knives to small knives, fixed blades and folders. In my experience the perfect combo is a good folding knife with around a 3" blade and a fixed blade with a good steel around 8-9" overall with around a 3-4" blade. Having been making my own knives for a few years now one of my latest knives is what I consider a perfect EDC/COMBAT/SAR/HUNTING/ANYTHING knife. Not really a plug just showing that my tastes have evolved with experience into a small simple fixed blade.

Godrilla47 also makes one that I would consider a great all around knife, I think its the 5to5 model.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/11885690_859395850822944_639021412889088363_o_zpsjczsfkxf.jpg

View Quote

That's a good looking knife.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#35]

That Horkos looks damn near perfect. Never owned anything by Spartan.....that may change.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/11885690_859395850822944_639021412889088363_o_zpsjczsfkxf.jpg

Thanks. It's probably my favorite knife I've designed and it's definitely my most popular.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#37]
How have we gone 4 pages with no mention of Jay Fisher? If money were no object I'd have a few.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Forgot to mention in my previous post in this thread, albeit either would be hard to find at this moment..the Simonich Mid-Tech Raven Combat in S30V.

In depth review.

http://www.tactical-life.com/tactical-knives/bucks-raven-legacy/
Pic from review.

Mine in its sheath.

And the Busse Combat Active Duty. Knife not seen below it in pic is the Busse Mean Street. Both are in INFI steel.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Strider's heat treat makes the blades chip easily, and shatter  

This has to be the most uneducated statement I have ever heard...
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Also Pete is not going to stop making fixed blades all together not sure where you get your usless information from. I know Pete personally and although he is focused on his 100 pre ordered rouge sharks he will return to regular orders when done.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Walter Brend
Phillip Patton
Bill Bagwell
elite knives

They each have some good choices.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#42]

Wanted one but they were unobtainable at the time.  So I took the issue knife

Now I have one.  And truthfully it won't do anything the issue knife wouldn't do.  But it does do it with much more style.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top