Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/18/2015 9:58:58 PM EDT
I don't know a lot about steel. Local knife maker has a little skinner I like made from 1084. Is this stuff decent? I know its non stainless so rust may be an issue but I want to use it as an edc.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a good carbon steel. I made many a knife from it in my early career.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have read that it is a good steel for beginner knifemakers along with 1080. Would these be classified as good steels for the maker but More of a mid-level steel for for a user? I cant find much user-end experience reviews on these steels.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have made MANY springs from 1075 and 1095.

Your steel OP, would fall between them

1075 is way easier to anneal.
But 1095 would make a better cutting tool.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have read that it is a good steel for beginner knifemakers along with 1080. Would these be classified as good steels for the maker but More of a mid-level steel for for a user? I cant find much user-end experience reviews on these steels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1084 will make a fine users knife but will not stay pretty like the stainless blades. You may also find you can get a keener edge on the carbon steel as opposed to stainless. Many stainless blades will develop a wire edge during sharpening while the carbon steel blade will be less likely to do so.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1084 will make a fine users knife but will not stay pretty like the stainless blades. You may also find you can get a keener edge on the carbon steel as opposed to stainless. Many stainless blades will develop a wire edge during sharpening while the carbon steel blade will be less likely to do so.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome info thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
1084 is a high performance steel. With it being labeled a "beginner steel," as far as heat treatment is concerned, I think people get the wrong idea. It is an awesome steel and the majority of those high end, super expensive Damascus customs are made with it(and 15N20).

From the horses mouth:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1270000-Is-1084-considered-a-quot-beginners-steel-quot-or-is-it-quot-custom-knife-quot-worthy
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
1084 is great it's not glamorous like the latest super steels but one of my absolute favorites.
I make most of my personal knives out of it or 52100
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend 1084 especially if you are going to do your own heat treatment.  Because it is easy to heat treat by basically heating to non-magnetic and then quenching in oil (canola oil works great) and then tempering in an oven at between 350 to 400 degrees it is considered a beginner steel.  Just because it is a beginner steel does not mean it does not perform well. A well heat treated 1084 steel knife will out perform a crappy heat treatment in any other steel.  I highly recommend steel from the NJ Steel Barron.  That is where I get most of my steel and he sells 1084.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top