Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/13/2015 1:43:35 AM EDT
Recently picked this up and I am looking for some more info on it.

I believe it to be a WW2 Japanese military sword a Shin-Gunto.  Its almost exactly like this Kanetomo 55.  I believe its a early war model since it has a metal scabbard and not a wooden.

http://quanonline.com/military/military_reference/japanese/sword_55.php

Any help of input would be greatly appreciated.  

Sorry for so many pics, but I know details are crucial with these things.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO it looks like a recent copy that's been 'aged' for suckers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
try in GD...there is at least one advanced collector that will be pointed in your direction...

good luck
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
WW !! Officers sword . Looks good to me
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMHO it looks like a recent copy that's been 'aged' for suckers.
View Quote

This.

My buddy collects these swords and is a walking encyclopedia on them. I'll send him the pics and see what he says.

ETA: My reasoning for thinking something might be up is because of the fancy hamon on the blade. To my knowledge they didn't bother with that during the war, as evident by the link that you posted. I could be wrong, though.

ETA 2: Turns out I was wrong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what he wrote:

That is a legit WWII Japanese sword. However, as indicated by the Seki stamp and the maker, it is a Seki made showato, otherwise known as non-traditional oil quenched blade. It's a collectors piece for militaria guys but not much interest for Nihonto Japanese collectors.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the stamp near the handguard indicates a mass produced wartime blade. The overall presentation corresponds to a wartime military sword, and not an older blade with wartime accouterments. It has value, but there are many repro coming out of China in the past ten years.

At one time, the Japanese employed us prisoners, and other pows, to fashion blades for nco's. I know a gentlemen who was a blacksmith, and later an infantryman who was captured. He was forced into making these blades, I recall his disdain for them, as well as his captors, any time we saw one of these at a show or sale.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top