Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 6/4/2015 7:45:27 PM EDT
She leads a girl scout troop and recently attended the outdoor survival training the organization puts on.  Not extreme by any means, but she's now saying she wants a knife of her own.  

I tried to sell her on a small (Izula) fixed blade, but she wants a single-blade locking folder.  And, here's the kicker, she wants it to have green scales.  Girl Scout green if she can get it, but any green will do.

She scoffed when shown the official Girl Scout Trefoil knife.

Benchmade made a mini-Griptilian in something close to girl scout green, but apparently it is now discontinued:

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone has a good idea for a decent quality folding single blade locking knife in green?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Spyderco Delica 4 FFG in green (FTW) > here.  ($57)

Or if she wants something a little larger >>> Endura FFG

...or pick your favorite ESEE and get this color aftermarket scales from the Knife Connection >>>
<oh wait, she wants a folder...  nevermind...>

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ontario RAT Model 1 for $34 but the green is darker.  BladeHQ lets you search folders by color.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
She leads a girl scout troop and recently attended the outdoor survival training the organization puts on.  Not extreme by any means, but she's now saying she wants a knife of her own.  

I tried to sell her on a small (Izula) fixed blade, but she wants a single-blade locking folder.  And, here's the kicker, she wants it to have green scales.  Girl Scout green if she can get it, but any green will do.

She scoffed when shown the official Girl Scout Trefoil knife.

Benchmade made a mini-Griptilian in something close to girl scout green, but apparently it is now discontinued:
http://www.soonerstateknives.com/BM-555SGrn-Benchmade-Griptilian.jpg

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone has a good idea for a decent quality folding single blade locking knife in green?
View Quote

You can still make your own custom griptilian or mini-griptilian on benchmades website. You can add a Girl Scout image and choose green handles. Heck, there is even an option for a green blade.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the green Delica suggestion.

The FFG version is a hell of a slicer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Cold steel recon 1 is a tough mother
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 6:09:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Search "Zombie Knife" then click images and see if she likes any of them.

Most of them are Girl Scout green or close to it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
ebay search "benchmade green" give her quality
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#9]
These threads always cost me money.

Kershaw makes Ken Onion Scallion folders and Shuffle folders in green.  (dark green and lime respectively)

Both are small knives though, if she wants more of a bushcraft knife they won't be suitable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for your responses!  I still think the Izula is the way to go, but will take a hard look at the Spyderco and the custom Griptillian on the Benchmade website.  Maybe put the number of the troop she leads on the blade for her and a girl scout logo on the knife.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
get her both the Izula and a folder. Both in green. ESEE used to offer blade engraving..... Show her why the Izula is so practical. She is probably like my wife, bless their hearts.... lol

Not to mention, I becha all the "instructors" at the survival expo all had folders and touted their usefulness over fixed blades...
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to mention, I becha all the "instructors" at the survival expo all had folders and touted their usefulness over fixed blades...
View Quote

You nailed it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd go with the Delica.  I'd also add a Light My Fire Fire Knife (simple fixed blade with a firesteel) - also comes in green
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had a Spyderco Delica 4 several year and recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#15]
The Benchmade Mini Grips are just functionally better than the Delica...just my opinion and I typically prefer Spyderco over Benchmade.  My daughter has a purple Grip, my wife actually has the yellow Ritter version of the Griptilian and my son's first serious folder was the lime green Grip.  

Tough choice, but I much prefer the Mini Grip over the Delica.  Of course the Izula with custom scales is a great option as well!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]

The spyderco and Ontario are fine knives I am not a benchmade fan so I can not comment.

How about some good questions ?
Whats your price range?
What will she use it for ?
Knife laws in your state ?
What lock style best suits her ?
How big ?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought my girlfriend a Benchmade Mini-grip a couple years ago in pink. She loved it.  Carries it daily.  That led to her wanting more knives and trying to take mine.  
To stop that, I've bought her an Izula, a Candiru, and a Tops FDX.
The Benchmade is a great knife, I've got quite a few different models.  They are strong, hold an edge well, the mini-grip and full size griptilians are great.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#18]
UPDATE.  I got a custom mini-griptillian and had them laser-engrave the girl scout logo on one side and the number of the troop she leads on the other.  

She loved it.  Thanks to you all for the advice.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
You chose very wisely.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:48:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
UPDATE.  I got a custom mini-griptillian and had them laser-engrave the girl scout logo on one side and the number of the troop she leads on the other.  

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/thecreeper23/IMG_3540_zpsso4rdx3y.jpg
View Quote

Very nice. I hope she enjoys the mini-grip and shows it off to the entire scout group. I'm still puzzled by the survival instructors recommending a folder
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Spyderco Delica 4 FFG in green (FTW) > here.  ($57)

https://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/large/C11F_L.jpg

http://girlscouts-hawaii.org/wp-content/uploads//2012/05/Girl-Scout-Servicemark-White-on-Green.jpg

Or if she wants something a little larger >>> Endura FFG

https://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/large/C10F_L.jpg

...or pick your favorite ESEE and get this color aftermarket scales from the Knife Connection >>>
<oh wait, she wants a folder...  nevermind...>

Spyderco and never look back

http://www.theknifeconnection.net/images/thumbnails/866/648/detailed/2/TKC-IzulaHandleKit-NGBG10.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Very nice. I hope she enjoys the mini-grip and shows it off to the entire scout group. I'm still puzzled by the survival instructors recommending a folder
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/thecreeper23/IMG_3540_zpsso4rdx3y.jpg

Probably because it is a group of children and more about having fun outside with basic tasks than "survival". Either way, nice knife and it's nice she is involved in getting kids outside.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top