Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/22/2015 2:01:49 PM EDT
Ive been watching tons of youtube videos and reading a bunch of blade forums and I finally
made the decision between the knives I was looking at. I  was looking at esee6 and ka bar fighting knives.
I narrowed it to the BK7 or BK9. If your going to be a bear be a grizzly. I went with the big boy.
Should be here in a week. Im pretty stoked! Cant wait to get it.
. I also want the Condor Moonstalker and the Ka Bar Bull Dozier. I want the Condor Ninja sword too And the BK7 too.
But I don't have the money for those yet.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Enjoy the sickness.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The guys on Blade forums seem to love the Bk 15-17 knives as well. I ordered a Bk12 from knife works, not sure when it will be here

Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys ill post a pic when I get it.  I have been obsessed with knives lately.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:39:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys ill post a pic when I get it.  I have been obsessed with knives lately.
View Quote

There's a cure but you won't like it
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You and me both, brother! Can't wait for pics!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations on your new addiction! Great knife, throw a set of the Becker micarta handles on it, the stock handle is pretty slippery, you can find them on amazon, but they make a great knife even greater.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The BK9 is a beast. You'll love it if you like big utility type knives.

I put a few Case peanuts and a mini Leatherman in an Altoids tin in the sheath pocket so a smaller blade is always at hand too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congratulations on your new addiction! Great knife, throw a set of the Becker micarta handles on it, the stock handle is pretty slippery, you can find them on amazon, but they make a great knife even greater.
View Quote

This, or you can wrap ranger bands (thin cut bicycle innertubes) around the included handles....or stippling works too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Im going to try roughing up the handles with sandpaper at first, maybe try stippling then get better scales.
I cut the sheath back some. Cut the bottom circle off and the belt loop off and added a couple of mini gear clips
to the back of the sheath to attach to belt loops to carry scout style. Works good. Im going to sew the belt loop onto the back of the sheath for a scout belt loop.
This blade came out of the box very sharp. I love it already and have named her Becca the BK9.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Since you seem a little green on knives, this thing will rust.  The BK line is all made of 1095 carbon steel.  If you use it frequently you should be fine, just don't put it up wet.  You can also get an apple or something like that and patina the edge if you want.  I've also just rubbed my edges down with olive oil if i knew i wouldn't be using for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I live a block from the beach. Thanks for the apple and olive oil tip. The only other knives ive bought have been
filet knives and a set of Ronco kitchen knives.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice. I have a BK7 I like and I just got a BK15 from Knifecenter for $42 which is really like so far.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I want the BK7 next.  I need the 13 too. So many knives so little money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Since you seem a little green on knives, this thing will rust.  The BK line is all made of 1095 carbon steel.  If you use it frequently you should be fine, just don't put it up wet.  You can also get an apple or something like that and patina the edge if you want.  I've also just rubbed my edges down with olive oil if i knew i wouldn't be using for awhile.
View Quote

I slid the edge across a natural white candle to store my original Cammillius Becker BK4 & 7 (not the Kabar version)...

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I slid the edge across a natural white candle to store my original Cammillius Becker BK4 & 7 (not the Kabar version)...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you get really spunky, you can strip the black coating off, and then patina the entire blade with some mustard or lemon (most fruits will do a nice forced patina). Mine is stripped with a natural patina on it just fro regular old exposure and use.
The below image was found through google search for mustard patina.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you get really spunky, you can strip the black coating off, and then patina the entire blade with some mustard or lemon (most fruits will do a nice forced patina). Mine is stripped with a natural patina on it just fro regular old exposure and use.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Hau2fgqr3WI/UgF3Xm15BSI/AAAAAAAABYQ/OOKriBuVhJ0/w1153-h865-no/IMG_0882.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I slid the edge across a natural white candle to store my original Cammillius Becker BK4 BK6 & 7 (not the Kabar version)...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Hau2fgqr3WI/UgF3Xm15BSI/AAAAAAAABYQ/OOKriBuVhJ0/w1153-h865-no/IMG_0882.JPG

If the coating wore off due to use it should naturally develop a patina indicating that use pattern.  Which would probably look better than that, IMO.
Since mine are both mint... I'm not going there.

Correction... BK6 Patrol machete
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want the BK7 next.  I need the 13 too. So many knives so little money.
View Quote

Get the micarta grips first, then get another knife...I love the Bk series, but the handle is the weak link...too slick and slippery,  plus they make the knife look a ton better, almost like a custom made knife.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome man. You can't, not have a BK 9. So you've got the king already, I'd skip the 7 and go for the 10 or get something more bushcrafty, a BK 16. Or get them all, which is the right answer here or on BFC. Now there is a BK7 that would be good in salt water envronments but it's $$$ and and no longer produced, (BK77). It's just an S30V BK7. very nice blade.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top