Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 5/20/2015 3:55:27 PM EDT
I ordered a Blackjack 1-7 and while the blade came pretty sharp (but not as sharp as my Spyderco Tatanka), the whole blade is covered in uniform grind marks running straight from edge to spine. Is this because of the steel used or not enough polishing? It's as if they skipped the finish polishing step. It's so bad that when I run a cloth along the blade to wipe prints off, it leaves a film of cloth on the blade!
You can feel the grooves, almost like a vinyl record. I love everything else about this blade, it's all top notch, but the blade just looks half-finished. Are all the new 1-7's like this? If so, what polish should I use to smooth it out?
Thanks,
                 Ray
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Ray is this blade coated or plain? You could take it to a buffer and use various compounds to polish it out. A used 400 grit belt on a vertical belt sander is what I use for my final grind. Often times It does not need to be polished on a buffer depending on the belt. If you have a buffer or belt sander available I think you could get the finish you want.

One word of caution here--- Tape up your edge a little and make sure the buffer is taking the blade away from you when you polish. The last thing you want is a sharp knife hurling towards you when the buffing wheel grabs it and it will if your not careful.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the 8nfo Tacklenut. It's a plain blade. I have a grinding wheel, but no belt sander. The blade is A-2 tool steel, I was wondering if I could get a buffer wheel for the grinder and buy some polishing compound?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
you can get buffing wheels at Harbor freight with polishing compound. Start with one wheel with aggressive compound and then go to different wheel with a finer grit. Polish the course in one direction and then the finer grit cross wise to that if you can and see what that does.  A2 is good steel. I use it a lot.
Give us an update with your results.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If the blade is as rough as you claim all you will get is polished scratches if you buff it. In order to get a good finish you will need to hand sand the blade with a wet/dry sand paper. I come off the grinder at 400 grit and start my hand sanding with 400 grit and work my way up in 200 grit increments. Once I've got to 2500 grit then the blade goes to the buffer. If this is going to be a working knife I'd hand sand it to 600 grit and call it good. It would never touch a buffer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the blade is as rough as you claim all you will get is polished scratches if you buff it. In order to get a good finish you will need to hand sand the blade with a wet/dry sand paper. I come off the grinder at 400 grit and start my hand sanding with 400 grit and work my way up in 200 grit increments. Once I've got to 2500 grit then the blade goes to the buffer. If this is going to be a working knife I'd hand sand it to 600 grit and call it good. It would never touch a buffer.
View Quote

I don't need for it to be polish bright, I just want to get rid of the thick grind marks. What brand/type of sandpaper and lubricant  do you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you can get buffing wheels at Harbor freight with polishing compound. Start with one wheel with aggressive compound and then go to different wheel with a finer grit. Polish the course in one direction and then the finer grit cross wise to that if you can and see what that does.  A2 is good steel. I use it a lot.
View Quote

I'll update you guys. I really dig the blade, overall (hell, it's sitting on my chest as I type this on my phone, in bed,lol).
I just don't want to blur the sexy lines on it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I don't need for it to be polish bright, I just want to get rid of the thick grind marks. What brand/type of sandpaper and lubricant  do you recommend?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use 3M wet/dry auto body paper normally. I use WD40 as the lubricant.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'll update you guys. I really dig the blade, overall (hell, it's sitting on my chest as I type this on my phone, in bed,lol).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've taken up knife making after Ciraxis' thread so not terribly long.  I'd use a sturdy sanding block, some 220 and 320 sandpaper with wd40.   I currently have problems keeping the top of my grind line crisp during sanding.  I'm ending up rolling over the top edge of the grind and making it less crisp.  With the blade being heat treated that may be less of an issue for you.  I haven't reached getting any blades heat treated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll get some tomorrow, weather permitting. Home Depot? Or Pep Boys?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've taken up knife making after Ciraxis' thread so not terribly long.  I'd use a sturdy sanding block, some 220 and 320 sandpaper with wd40.   I currently have problems keeping the top of my grind line crisp during sanding.  I'm ending up rolling over the top edge of the grind and making it less crisp.  With the blade being heat treated that may be less of an issue for you.  I haven't reached getting any blades heat treated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll probably start with 400 or 600 grit and finish with 800. Although I'm a little nervous about losing the nice lines around the false edge and point so I might just start with 600.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I order paper in bulk from Supergrit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I'm not gonna order 10k sheets of each grit, lol. I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow and get some, I couldn't go today.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not gonna order 10k sheets of each grit, lol. I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow and get some, I couldn't go today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The price will shock you!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way! Really? I guess I should look in my dad's old hobby crates. I remember a whole bunch of different sandpaper, foam sanding blocks and stuff from when he used to make balsa models and doll houses.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No way! Really? I guess I should look in my dad's old hobby crates. I remember a whole bunch of different sandpaper, foam sanding blocks and stuff from when he used to make balsa models and doll houses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon sells 5 sheets of 3M 400 grit for 8 bucks. The box stores will certainly ask for more than that. Depending upon how deep your grind marks are 5 sheets may not be enough. If you are planning on starting with 600g it will not be enough. Supergrit will sell you 10 sheets of 400g for $3.75 Supergrit
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Amazon sells 5 sheets of 3M 400 grit for 8 bucks. The box stores will certainly ask for more than that. Depending upon how deep your grind marks are 5 sheets may not be enough. If you are planning on starting with 600g it will not be enough. Supergrit will sell you 10 sheets of 400g for $3.75 Supergrit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'll order some if my dad doesn't have what I need. The grind marks don't look too bad, they just feel horrible. I wish I could post pics and get y'alls opinion. I guess the Effingham blades were finished a little better, from pics and videos.
ETA: oh, and I bookmarked the supergrit site, thanks!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top