Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 12:04:58 PM EDT
I'm not going to say all convex edges suck but all the ones from Bark River do.  For all the Bark River lovers out there please don’t be offended because I do like their knives they are some of the most beautiful artwork that I have ever seen but as far as knives go I've seen sharper butter knives.  I have never really understood this because almost every review or video you see of them the reviewer always mentions that famous "razor" sharp convex edge.  I've owned 6 of their knives and none of them are anywhere near what I would call sharp.  

Anyways what I'm looking for are recommendations on who can reprofile a convex edge to a traditional V grind?  I was thinking about trying this myself on my Edge Pro but am kind of afraid of messing it up because of the fact that the edge is so thick on these knives and I was also worried about the heat treating.  Is the whole knife heat treated or just the edge and if I grind down the edge would I lose the hardened edge and expose soft steel underneath?  So if I can find someone who doesn't charge an arm and a leg I might just let him give it a shot.

Please don’t waste your time typing about sending them back in to have the factory sharpen them.  First of all they all came out of the box duller than a butter knife which in my opinion is unacceptable of knives in this price category.  And second I actually did send one back to the factory and when it came back it was still not sharp so I think I can confidently say with 6 examples and one sent back to the factory they know how to build beautiful knives they just don’t know how to sharpen them.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Rather than reprofiling them, have you considered getting a convex sharpener like the Work Sharp?  I have the Ken Onion edition and it puts a hair popping convex edge on just about anything in minutes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]

I believe Northern Knives can do this for you if you want someone else to do it for you. I've got a couple ZT's I just sent their way for some work.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rather than reprofiling them, have you considered getting a convex sharpener like the Work Sharp?  I have the Ken Onion edition and it puts a hair popping convex edge on just about anything in minutes.
View Quote

Never really thought about that.  I would rather just have a regular edge that I can touch up on my Edge Pro.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The beauty of a convex edge for this type of knife is that it has the most metal behind the edge.  This makes the edge stronger and less likely to deform under hard use...  so getting a Worksharp Onion would be your best bet if you want to retain this type of grind.  Having said that, if you really want to go to a V grind, I would suggest taking the smallest of your group and try reporfiling it using your Edge Pro yourself.  Don't worry about the heat treat - I don't think you can harm it with an Edge Pro.  The heat treat is full thickness and goes at least hafl way up the blade (from the edge to the spine) if Bark River uses a differential heat treat...  and if they use a "regular" heat treatment - the whole blade and tang is treated...  The only way to damage that type of heat treatment is to overheat the blade and the chances of doing that with an Edge Pro are about zero!

I like the do-it-yourself approach because it is cheaper, faster, and gives you the opportunity to learn something about your technique and the blade steel of your knife...

If you reprofile your edge to a V grind, what angle are you considering using?

P.S.:  I only have 1 Bark River knife in my collection - it is a little PSK.  It has a convex edge on 154CM steel and I must say that my limited experience is definitely different than yours...  it came to me shaving sharp out of the box...  just sayin'...
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]

He's a buddy of mine so I'll disclose that first. On the flip side, it means I'm also very familiar with his work.

But I like to recommend http://www.knifesharpeningseattle.com/  Albert is really good at his job, and is pretty highly regarded by a lot of people. His prices for the level of experience and skill are pretty darn good.  As far as your question about heat treating, I can't say what he'd do for sure, but typically he water cools knives while sharpening them. Here's a random googled link of one of his customers. http://edcforums.com/threads/seattle-edge-seattle-area-professional-knife-sharpener.73884/ showing some of his work.

I would shoot him an email or give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#6]
i will second sending them albert.  he is a wizard when it comes to sharpening.  i make knives for a living, but he can sharpen knives better than anyone i have seen.

TPS
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He's a buddy of mine so I'll disclose that first. On the flip side, it means I'm also very familiar with his work.

But I like to recommend http://www.knifesharpeningseattle.com/  Albert is really good at his job, and is pretty highly regarded by a lot of people. His prices for the level of experience and skill are pretty darn good.  As far as your question about heat treating, I can't say what he'd do for sure, but typically he water cools knives while sharpening them. Here's a random googled link of one of his customers. http://edcforums.com/threads/seattle-edge-seattle-area-professional-knife-sharpener.73884/ showing some of his work.

I would shoot him an email or give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Thanks this is exactly what i was looking for

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I used my Ken Onion Work Sharp on my dull Bark River Gunny. I can now slice toilet paper with this blade. It took less than 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Our experiences are exactly the opposite.  I have never had a Barkie out of the box that was anything but bloody razor sharp.

That being said, I completely understand having issues with convex edges.  Though I can get almost all of my Barkies insanely sharp in minutes, there are a couple that just frustrate the living hell out of me.  I've learned a lot if it is material versus blade shape.  Some knives just wanna be a bitch.

I put a 22 degree edge on my BRK Journeyman ( 2nd run, D2 ) with a 25 degree micro bevel and man, I could not be happier with it now.  That D2 is a BITCH to sharpen sometimes but once sharp....

I see you do not skimp on your knives.....you have several of the same blades from BRK and Blackjack that I do.

Have you considered getting a Wicked Edge kit?  ...and I mean the full damn kit?  Yes, it is 700 bucks....BUT....imagine a Lansky diamond unit that is ten times faster, ten times more stable and ten times more capable.

This is on my "must get list" and I am not gonna skimp....I am going for the full Monty.  There won't be a blade in your house that won't be capaple of lopping the head off of a bull moose....AND you'll be able to care for all of your blades IN HOUSE!!!

Just a thought.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy/build a strop.  Watch vids on how to use it.  Thank me later.  Makes/keeps my convex razor and works on other profiles too.  Mine are home made from old belt and paint stick.  Green and grey strop compound.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buy/build a strop.  Watch vids on how to use it.  Thank me later.  Makes/keeps my convex razor and works on other profiles too.  Mine are home made from old belt and paint stick.  Green and grey strop compound.
View Quote

I wrap sand paper of varying coarseness around a Home Depot paint stir stick and using a Sharpie along the edge get good results on my convex blades.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:05:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for the Ken onion work sharp.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Careful with the work sharp as it will remove a lot of metal quickly. I would instead get two suede leather strops and use green and white compound. It only takes a few minutes to get knives razor sharp using a strop. Using a very smooth steel will help to maintain the edge once they are sharp.  If your knives are really dull I would use wet/dry sandpaper on a mousepad or on the strop f followed by stropping. Strops are cheap.  I like the ones from sharpeningsupplies.com.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top