Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2015 5:17:04 PM EDT
I have a couple of Becker BK knives that I may strip and force a patina on. I've seen a few YouTube videos of guys using mustard. I've read about apple cider vinegar and hear it gives a deeper darker patina (which I assume will offer more rust protection.). Anyone try it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I did it to a CS trail hawk and thought it looked good. Can't comment on the rust protection as I stripped it to use as a test/practice cerakote part. Since that is taking forever and I wanted to use it camping recently, I did a mustard patina on it. I have also used strawberries, onion rings, and salsa to force a patina. I like the onion patina best as far as looks. It seemed to rub off fairly easily from use though. I didn't look at the mustard patina to see how it faired after use.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I know very little about this stuff but I recently got in knife making and tried forcing a patina on two of my blades recently.  I did it with a large orange, just stuck the blade all the way in and left it for an hour.  

when I get home tonight I'll take a pic and show you what it looks like.    The cell structure of an orange gives a really cool pattern to the patina
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't wait to see it. I've seen some hit or miss mustard patinas
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I cover my cutting edge with fingernail polish, then put a pattern on the blade with a applecider vinegar/yellow mustard mix and carefully submerge it in a chlorine bleach solution.

I find the bleach etches the steel much more than vinegar or mustard, it only takes a few minutes to get a decent dark patina.

I have used household bleach and pool cleaner concentrated chlorine both. The highly concentrated chlorine only takes seconds, leave it for 5 mins and it will have decent pitting rust going on.

After the patina is where I like it, I clean the blade off in running water with a plastic brush then dry it off with a paper towel and strip the fingernail polish with remover and coat the blade in oil for overnight.

" />

" />

The green handle Hultafors was done with powdered concentrated chlorine over a mustard/vinegar pattern, you can see it overpowered everything and left a red rust colored pattern. The Mora's were done with household bleach chlorine over mustard/vinegar patterns.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I know this is a tech forum, but I've got to point out how dirty the topic sounds. Thought it was some kind of kinky shit.

Now i know...nice look but don't think i'll be forcing tinas with apple cider or whatnot
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I did it on a Cold Steel tomahawk head as well. I bought a disposeable meatloaf/bread pan and put the apple cider vinegar in it, then on the stove over very low heat with the tomahawk head in the pan. It took on a nice yellowish-gray color, and shows no signs of rust, and I don't do much to prevent it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#8]
sorry it took so long to respond and sorry for the shitty photo but here are the two knives that I forced the patina on with a large orange

I left them inside of an orange for around an hour, took them out to look at the pattern and then rotated them and put them in at a different angle to layer the effect, I only left them in for around 30 minutes the second time.  

these are the first two knives that I ever made and completely by hand, I'm happy with the top one but the bottom one is shit and I hate it
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sorry it took so long to respond and sorry for the shitty photo but here are the two knives that I forced the patina on with a large orange

I left them inside of an orange for around an hour, took them out to look at the pattern and then rotated them and put them in at a different angle to layer the effect, I only left them in for around 30 minutes the second time.  

http://i.imgur.com/PHtakNn.jpg

these are the first two knives that I ever made and completely by hand, I'm happy with the top one but the bottom one is shit and I hate it
View Quote

Those look great.  Ever try grapefruit?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope but I bet it would look nice, I think the little cells that are inside citrus fruit helps give it a cool pattern.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use grapefruit. But, I usually get the orange color that goes with it. I can get most of it off with the rust eraser, I just have to patina over it sometimes.

Grapefruit is a good choice due to the size over an orange
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I use grapefruit. But, I usually get the orange color that goes with it. I can get most of it off with the rust eraser, I just have to patina over it sometimes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a huge orange, but anything bigger than a hunting knife might be too big.   You can also use more than one orange, just slice a bit off the sides so you can square them up together.    

I cant wait to try out more, i just dont have any knives to try it on yet that are back from heat treat
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So grapefruit is more likely to rust as opposed to create a nice patina?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-16oz-pcb-etchant-solution/2761535.html#.VTrAahAo7qA
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top