Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 12:12:27 AM EDT
What do you guys use to protect the leather sheaths and grips? Particularly the grips.
Thank you.
                        Ray
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had good results with WD40 - penetrates great and doesn't leave any oily residue.  I really hose down the item - I go for max saturation and do it several times before I consider the job "done".  Wipe off excess with a soft cloth before putting into service...  Repeat as necessary/desired.  1 caveat though - don't use it on anything that is glued as it will break down the glue to the point of failure.  Stitched stuff is OK though.  Works best with "natural" leather.  For colored leathers, I use mink oil (paste) - apply heavily, heat with a hand held hair dryer (on high) to soak it into the leather...  then wipe away excess with a soft (disposable) cloth while still warm...  If there isn't any excess, you didn't use enough - again going for max saturation... let the leather "drink" as much as it wants...

YMMV - good luck!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:15:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn, I was thinking something like mink oil or something, lol.
I was wondering about using beeswax on the handle to give it some shine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I mentioned mink oil for colored leather...  I have also used it on natural leather and it works pretty well there too.  I like the WD because it is faster, neater, easier than the Mink.  Plus (real) Mink Oil is getting hard to find - one of the main manufacturers stopped making it because of noisy bunny huggers and bad PR....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if Neats foot oil will work? I think I might have some around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Chamberlain's Leather Milk.  Good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chamberlain's Leather Milk.  Good stuff.
View Quote

Cool, let me look it up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I use clear Danner boot dressing on my holsters and sheaths.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I started a thread a while back about reconditioning a leather sling that has some good suggestions for leather care in it Link.  I ended up going with Skidmore Leather Cream, with excellent results.  In addition to the leather sling, it worked well on a leather hatchet sheath.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I started a thread a while back about reconditioning a leather sling that has some good suggestions for leather care in it Link.  I ended up going with Skidmore Leather Cream, with excellent results.  In addition to the leather sling, it worked well on a leather hatchet sheath.

View Quote

Wow, great thread! Lots of good info in there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Some folks use Murphy's Oil Soap for saddles.  Seems a similar issue.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing, on just about everything made out of smooth tanned leather.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use clear Danner boot dressing on my holsters and sheaths.
View Quote

My Blackjack 1-7 came in the other day, the leather was pretty dry so I put a couple of coats of KIWI neutral shoe polish. Wow, what a difference! The leather got a little darker, but has a nice, supple sheen. I'll post a review of the knife soon.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top