Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/28/2015 3:00:50 AM EDT
I have been looking around for the blade width of the Ranger Falcon, but can only find information on the length and thickness.

Does anyone know if it has the same blade width as the Afghan model at 1 and 5/8 inches across?  Just to avoid confusion I am specifically interested in the distance between the edge and the spine.

Pictures showing a side-by-side comparison of the Falcon and Afghan would be great too if anyone has both of these knives.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems that Ontario knives, or maybe these particular models, are not a popular topic here and that is okay.

In any case, I took an interest in the Ontario Ranger Falcon and the Ontario Ranger Afghan and decided to purchase both models.

When the knives arrive I will be happy to report back here to share their specifications, my impressions, and pictures--just in case there is a chance that at least one other forum member is interested.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked but couldn't find anything other than someone mentioning it being "close to 2" wide". I'm always interested in pictures and reviews of quality knives
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Not my pictures.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I was able to find those first 3 as well, but not that last one that shows them side-by-side.  Thanks for including that one.  

I used the tape measure in the first picture as a scale to measure the blade width and it looks like it is about 1 and 3/8 inches across at the widest point.  That side-by-side comparison helps put it into perspective.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Here they are:

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Good reference pictures with the measuring tape.

More importantly....your impressions?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious to know how these knives are as well. I have the Ontario RBS - 6. Great blade, but it's a bit on the large side.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm curious to know how these knives are as well. I have the Ontario RBS - 6. Great blade, but it's a bit on the large side.

I am glad to see some interest in this.  

Here is a bit of background to leading into my impressions so far.

Before I bought these I was looking for a fixed blade knife that I could also carry on my person in Texas.  To fit that criteria I had a to do a bit of research to find an knife with a blade that is less than 5 and 1/2 inches that can not be taken for a "bowie knife" (as ambiguous as that is) and does not have a second edge, as in a "dagger" or similar style.  In addition to that I wanted to make sure to get something that would be durable, dependable, up to any task, and, let's face it, I wanted it to still be aesthetically "tacticool" (at least to my taste).  Who does not want their gear to look good?  While it certainly is not the most important factor it still plays a part, no matter how small.  Another factor worthy of mention is I am a fan of the Spec Ops Brand Combat Master Sheaths that come in various lengths.  As I have a couple of these sheaths already, I wanted to also get a knife that would fit securely in them with minimal play.  That was the reason I was so curious about the width of the blades.

So in my quest to meet these requirements, I stumbled upon these two knife models and decided to purchase both at the same time.   After all, one of them is essentially the "mini" version of the other and it seems like they should come together as a package deal so why not?  Their appearance and what specifications were available caught my interest.  I really do like the way these knives look.  My understanding is that these particular models are not really considered tactical or survival knives, but more a jack-of-all-trades--even with that they have a "bad-ass cool" look to them still, at least to me.  I have heard that they do not really excel in any particular category but they can do a bit of everything at a satisfactory level and that is fine for my purposes.

So, I liked what I heard and I liked what I saw, but more importantly I got all that and met the legal criteria that I need to satisfy for carry.  Both knives have blades less than 5 and 1/2 inches in length and are not "bowie" or "dagger" like.

While I have not really had the opportunity to put these knives to any use yet, both feel very solid to me and I am confident that they can withstand a lot of heavy duty use.  They both have about a 1/4" thickness at the spine and nearly throughout the entire length of the blade, only tapering off toward the tip.  Fit and finish are also acceptable on both knives.  They seem very well constructed.  The Falcon has a near perfect appearance out of the box, while I did notice some very minor cosmetic defects in the Afghan's finish--nothing too bad, just a small flake of the blade's protective finish missing on the spine (this can be seen in my picture of the spines on both knives) and what looks like a smudge to finish on the bottom of the blade handle (likely from when the grips were installed as the smudge looks to be the same tan color, not pictured).  Not a big deal to me, they are not going to look perfect forever anyway.  Both blades also seem fairly sharp right out of the packaging, though I am sure they could use a bit of touch up.

Now for some the heavy duty feel of these blades comes at a price.  They are not light and the Falcon in particular is heavy for its small size.  Some people may find this to be an issue.  The Afghan certainly feels more balanced in comparison.  Unfortunately I do not have the actual weight figures.  In addition to the weight I have heard that some people do not like how the grips feel in conjunction with the 1/4" thickness, reporting it to feel "blocky".  With that I have also heard that some people have sanded down the grips to better fit their hands--at least there's a DIY fix if need be.  And then I have also seen some concern that the Falcon's handle is too short.

Now to me...the weight of these knives is not an issue because I find it to be an acceptable trade for how heavy duty they are.  I will definitely not be worried about breaking one of these blades in half.  I also do not have a problem with the grips in the case of either of the knives.  The Falcon's handle does not seem too short to me, nor do the grips on either of the knives feel too big or blocky to me.  For reference, I have somewhere between a medium to large sized hand, if not closer to the medium end of the spectrum.

And to address the fit of these knives in the Spec Ops Combat Master Sheath, the Afghan fits very nicely into the "Short" model.  There is a bit of play in the kydex insert, but it is not bad and it is secure with the adjustable retention button strap.  I believe I may be able to take the insert out and shape it to the blade if I want to, but I need to look more into that.  Overall, I am happy with the compatibility between the knife and this specific sheath.  As for the Ranger Falcon, its blade width is a bit slimmer so there is more play in this sheath, but I am waiting on the "Mini" Combat Master Sheath that I ordered to see how it fits with that.  I think it will be just fine.

I recommend these knives, especially if you have similar needs.  ::thumbs up::  

Note that there is also a "Bush" series that includes these knife models with slightly different specifications and may be another option to consider.  For example:  the Bush Afghan is made of 1095 steel, is slightly thinner in thickness, and likely weighs less in comparison to the 5160 steel and 1/4" thickness of the Ranger Afghan.  I am not sure of the availability or other specifics, but I wanted to mention its existence in case anyone is interested in looking into that option.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool.

I really wish that CO's knife laws were like TX's.  Being able to carry a 5.5" knife (as long as it wasn't a bowie-like thing) would be very nice.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Great write-up OP! I think I need to add another knife to the collection. I also should get a new sheath for my RBS-6. The factory one sucks.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top