Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/17/2015 8:55:28 PM EDT
Several years ago I impulse bought a Strider SMF. It looked authentic as I compared it to the Strider SnG that I was carrying, so I bit the bullet and bought it for what I thought was a really good price. Well, as many of my impulse buys go it ended up in the safe and was forgotten.

Fast forward a couple years and I have been cleaning out my safe. I find the long lost Strider and begin to research it a bit. It had a finish I had never seen before and didn’t have the Hinderer lock nut. In addition to that it looked like the finish on the top of the blade was wearing/flaking and darkening. With those two items in mind I thought that maybe it was too good a deal when I bought it and began to think that I had been taken.

I started to do a little more research on how to identify authentic/fake Striders. Well, I went through list of what makes a Strider authentic and I “think” I have the real deal. As I investigated though, I realized that I might have the SMF CuBe, which has the non-magnetic copper beryllium blade. There are still a couple things that bother me though:

1)Stamping – there is a barely visible Strider logo that is double stamped and there is no Strider name stamped on the other side of the blade.
2)Lock bar stabilizer– The stabilizer nut is not an identified Hinderer nut. I’m pretty sure that all Strider folders don’t have Hinderer stabilizers but the copper beryllium version I think usually has it.

So, can anybody help me verify that I have an authentic SMF CuBe here?

</a>" />

</a>" />
Here you can see the flaking on the top of the blade that made me wonder.

</a>" />

</a>" />
Edit to add Close-up of logo

" />
Edit to add close view of logo
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
For the best results, contact Strider.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Man it almost looks legit but that stamp is very shady although it could perfectly be a missed and they redid.
Secondly that "flacking" makes me believe is painted.
If you want to see if it is the real deal use a magnet. If it sticks to the blade you got screwed
Cheers
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Hit mick up himself you can find him on instagram.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Magnet, report back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to see if it is the real deal use a magnet. If it sticks to the blade you got screwed
Cheers
View Quote

I put the magnet on it and it wasn't magnetized. Also, from another forum a member was saying that Strider put a clear coating on the CuBe blade and they seemed to think that might be what is flaking off the blade. More and more I am thinking its authentic. I do plan to email Strider this weekend and see what they say.thanks for the info fellas'.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
99.9% sure you're good.  The double stamp is the only thing that concerns me.  Prior to the non-metallic blade I would have guessed real or a very very good fake.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Double stamping doesn't  mean a thing. Striders were "hand struck" for many years meaning hand swung hammer meets stamp meets blade, bouncing of the hammer frequently creates a double impression mostly off center to the first. Light or fading stamps were common too. Fakes are usually laser engraved crisp and even. Fakes usually have less texture on the G-10 and have an overly squared off butt. The Hinderer logo doesn't  always appear on the lockbar stop on legit knives and they sometimes change shape and finish.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Info back from Strider is that it is legit!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The posted video above is the video review that I did on my Strider CuBe. Please let me know if I can help with any questions.

Thanks,
Kirk
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]
congrats on winning knife lotto
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice!!!! Very good news!!!!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top