Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2015 5:33:05 PM EDT
On 3/23/2010 I put in my order with Randall for my #1 All Purpose Fighting Knife.  
Yesterday it arrived, just shy of 5 years.

This makes my 4th Randall, including my second factory order and one I picked up while touring the factory last year (well worth it if you are in Orlando and have some extra time - really helps you understand just how small this company is and the true custom work they do.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Hrrrrng!  

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice knife.

I'm still 2 years out on my 12-9.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think any knife could meet my expectations after a 5 year wait. After that long, I'd expect the very edge to taper down to one atom thick, and the handle to be custom contoured to my right palm.

$140, ships immediately. Just saying
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Kilroy, what is that?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kilroy, what is that?
View Quote
Blackjack knives. It looks like a Model 7.

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice #1!

You must listen to Guy Clark's Randall Knife Song tonight!
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice #1!

You must listen to Guy Clark's Randall Knife Song tonight!
View Quote

http://youtu.be/iFwSsqkQiBY
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, that's a nice knife! I'd love to have one but I don't have the patience for that!

Can you post a few more pics?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
thats a nice knife love the leather grips will they do a model 14 with leather finger groove grips ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Just curious.  What is the blade length (they have two standard lengths), and what custom features did you get.  Other than that, I wonder why folks wait 5 years for a Randall when you can order one and have it overnighted.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys, I was out of pocket for a few days.     I am at work now but will try and take some better pics of this and my other Randalls when I get home.

dc306 - Thanks for the Guy Clark info.  I am a fan of his but somehow had never heard that one.

MK5 - Randall only does the leather grips in Model I and II style, no finger grips.  

jeepnik - The knife shown is a #1, with seven inch blade, Model II leather grip, nickel silver hilt and Duraluminum but cap.   When I placed the order I requested an 8 inch blade and wrist thong.   After acquiring my other Randalls I decided 8 inch would be a tad too long and I no longer wanted the wrist the wrist thing.   About 2 months before shipping I received a letter from Randall stating that my order would be shipping in @1 month.   (Honestly I was amazed, it had been so long I had forgotten about it.)    I called Randall and asked for those 2 changes and they were able to comply.

As for ordering a Randall on-line and receiving overnight, I am assuming you are talking about an Ebay type of purchase.    To me, part of what makes a Randall special is the ability to customize it to your specific tastes.   The trade off is the wait.   Sometimes you can find one already made the way you would want - my first Randall purchase was at a gun show and was a Model 18 that was exactly like I would order so I bought it.   At a  premium.   That is the other trade off for instant satisfaction, you will typically pay a 40 - 50% premium over the catalog price.

I know there are a lot of other great knives out there that don't require the cost and wait time of a Randall but as a student of military history I love the heritage of Randall and am thrilled that I am fortunate enough to have 4 in my collection.     Now I just need to decide which Model 12 I want to order.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Beautiful blade!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn that thing is beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Love that Randall! Randalls are like Rolexes, iconic designs that set the standard. Lining up my next Randall acquisition, a 12-8.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Got another year to wait on my #28.

I know it's crazy, but the wait makes it good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Ordered my first 18-7.5 this past August and 2 days ago I ordered an 18-5.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On 3/23/2010 I put in my order with Randall for my #1 All Purpose Fighting Knife.  
Yesterday it arrived, just shy of 5 years.

This makes my 4th Randall, including my second factory order and one I picked up while touring the factory last year (well worth it if you are in Orlando and have some extra time - really helps you understand just how small this company is and the true custom work they do.

View Quote

Did you have to call ahead to set up a tour of the factory?  I have family about 20 miles from Orlando and would love to go see the Randall factory next time I'm in town.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#19]
thats nice!

Randalls are such classic knives, and the one you got is something I'd enjoy owning!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks FLA556Guy.    I agree, there is nothing like a Randall.

T2OPFOR - The only prep I did for visiting Randall was find out what time they opened and the address.   Other than that I just showed up.  
Like I said you can't really understand just how small of an operation they have until you go there.   The entire manufacturing facility is the size of a small house.   It was just me, a co-worker I dragged along and 3 employees, I simply asked if I could walk back to the work area.  
At the time the "museum" was in the same building but they were preparing to move tis to a different building at the same location.    Honestly the trickiest part was finding the very small sign on the street directing you to the very long driveway.    

If you go make sure to ask if they have any knives available - although they do not produce any extra for sale at the HQ it is possible that they may have one that they made to order but were unable to contact the customer or was shipped back due to bad address and they couldn't reach the customer to get it corrected.  These are some of the issues that come up when an order can stretch over 5 years.    I was lucky enough to pick up a Model #16-SP1 this way.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice!!!
I've always wanted a 16 dive knife

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Very Nice!

i got my #1 a few years ago (after 5 year wait).

it's worth the wait.  Nothing like a handmade knife.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice!!!

I've always wanted a 16 dive knife

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/0I4AAOSwBLlU73dS/$_57.JPG
View Quote

the Hell? they sending cases with them now?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#24]
That is a beautiful knife. My last Randall is very similar to yours - Model No. 1, 7" SS, NS double hilt, No. 2 leather handle, aluminum butt cap. I ordered it from http://www.clintonknives.com/ in April 2009 and got it in April 2010. Clinton Knives sell Randall Knives at the current catalog price at the time of shipment and, according to their web site, current lead time is 5 months.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
thats a nice knife love the leather grips will they do a model 14 with leather finger groove grips ?
View Quote

They used to.....had to get the cdt option tho.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#26]
been thinking about ordering one for my son as a college graduation present hes in high school now

GR
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Beautiful.  I hope whatever family member ends up with it appreciates it.  My uncle collected Randalls, including a no. 1 and 14.
I'd settle for a Black Jack Halo Attack.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't think any knife could meet my expectations after a 5 year wait. After that long, I'd expect the very edge to taper down to one atom thick, and the handle to be custom contoured to my right palm.

http://rhost1.zfx.com/OZX/Blobs/blob77321.jpeg
$140, ships immediately. Just saying
View Quote

I've had my eye on that blade ever since I saw that pic! It kinda dampened my enthusiasm when I received my Spyderco TATANKA.
Where are they for 140 bucks. The cheapest place I've seen has them for 178.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a fan of Randall knives too....

From left to right, Model 12-9 Bowie, Model 14, Model 16 and a Model 10-3:

This is the one I carry the most, a Model 5-5:

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top