Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/26/2015 3:42:35 PM EDT
Some of you know I make knives.  I have been experimenting with various parang-type designs for the last 20 years or so and use these things on a more or less daily basis on the ranch and in the mountains around my place.  As with all of them, I make my own handles and scabbards.  This handle is walnut. It is a 3/4 tang, differentially tempered,  left-hand chisel-ground razor-shaving sharp thing with a blade of just shy of 13 inches with a match-striker surface filed in the guard.

Had to take some pix as it will be beat up pretty soon.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I dig it, what kind of steel?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dig it, what kind of steel?
View Quote

This one was an Oregon sawbar.  I do not know the specific alloy but I do all my own heat treating and it will test out to RC53-55 on the edge.  The steel acts alot like 1080.  I also use millsaws and log processor bars, the former being thinner than a sawbar and the latter thicker.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Serious working blade right there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Good looking blade!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top