Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/17/2014 4:30:23 PM EDT
I've never been overly interested in knives and don't know a lot about them. I've always viewed knives as tools nothing more nothing less and certainly nothing worth paying a lot of money for. Nothing I have done in my life has required me to spend 100 dollars much less 200 dollars on a knife.

As a matter of fact I've only had 5 knives and 1 multi-tool in the first 49 years of life. A pocket knife my dad gave me when I turned 6, a Buck 110 my HS sweetheart gave me for my 16th birthday, a Ka-Bar I bought when I entered the army in 82, a Gerber folder to replace the aforementioned 110 I lost after I divorced her, another 110 to replace the Gerber after I lost it and a leatherman multi tool my brother gave me as a Christmas gift. I still have the Ka-bar and the last 110 but have lost the others somewhere along the way.

Thru the years I've had two buddies who were into knives as well as guns and I have handled expensive nice knives before but they just didn't do anything for me. My 110 and my Gerber cut hay bale twine, 550 cord, nylon ski rope just as good as their expensive knives and mine were just as sharp.

Well, fall of 2013 I went to a gun show looking for an assisted opening knife because I walk with a cane all the time now and using two hands to open and close the 110 was awkward. Well I came across a Zero Tolerance 0300ST. Picked it up not knowing what it was, as I said I'm not into knives. It fit my hand like it was made for it and I bought it and didn't think twice about it. I researched it when I got home hoping I hadn't been ripped off and lo and behold I discovered I got a decent price for a highly regarded knife. I have used this knife for everything in the last year and have absolutely loved it.

Fast forward to last weekend. I was at the Charlotte gun show again just browsing and saw a fixed blade knife that talked to me. Picked it up, a Benchmade, I am familiar with the Benchmade, Kershaw, SOG names as my buddies owned several.
Yep It followed me home. A Benchmade 162-1 Sibert, Bushcrafter. I have absolutely no use for this knife but me likey!

I know CSB but I just thought I would share. LOL!! I think I am beginning to see what my buddies do about nice knifes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh you've had a taste...the poison builds in your blood and before you know you'll have a dozen or more..LOL (Says the guy who just literally came over here from amazon after buying a new knife)

Enjoy your new blades, you're off to a great start!

PS..you USED to not be a knife guy...heh!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The bug is intoxicating to say the least, once you start to see all of the fractional differences in the makers you will have a appreciation for each little nuance and decide that you must have more specimens to compare them

. There is something to be said about a real high quality blade with the right steel, as you have described it just FEELS right in your hand and the blade material also feels different than the cheap stainless that come on most low end knives.

Tis true there are millions of knives out there and one made for every size pocket book so almost anyone can be a collector, which is a really cool aspect of knives. Have fun with your quality blades they will serve you well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
it really is contagious! I was browsing knives on Amazon earlier this evening too. The Benchmark 15008 model looks really nice, maybe next month it can follow me home. LOL!! I guess I need to dig my old ka-bar out and get it sharpened up and presentable to be next to these two knives.

Maybe a nice handmade one from the frontier rendezvous guy next show. He had some nice looking stuff. I didn't talk to him but some of his smaller fixed blades were nice looking.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
']

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh Boy!! here you go!!  I recognize the bug.  It started out with a cheap(ish) Chinese Schrade-  because it was "pretty" and fit my hand.  Well, as you said, "fast forward" a couple of years and I have definitely expanded and refined my acquisitions.  I get the same thrill with my collection as I used to with jewelry.  I use and carry many of my knives but have expanded into collectibles and customs.  Proud to say, as a matter of necessity, I can now do a passable job of sharpening.  I find the knife folks to be very friendly, encouraging and willing to share their knowledge.  As with anything, do your homework and have fun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You got it now...it's worse than BRD....nice knives.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate to do this to you but check out Bark River knives.  They have fantastic fixed blades.

I think I see a Zero Tolerance in my future though...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Have a look at the following brands

1)  Benchmade
2)  DPx
3)  Spyderco
4)  Becker knife and tool (kabar)
5)  Himalayan imports
6)  Swamprat/Busse/scrapyard
7)  Bark river
8)  Smithy (he's a member on the board, he makes outstanding knives).
9)  zero tolerance/kershaw

There are others, but those are names that I've had experience with that I trust to build a good blade.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You have contracted Blade Addictive Disorder or B.A.D. for short. Much like B.R.D. there is no known cure. Your only recourse is to continue to "Chase the Dragon" by buying more knives.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL!! Yeah my B.R.D. is bad enough, have 5 in various calibers and sizes, then the 1911 bug got me, have 3 with another on lay-a-way, and now B.A.D. LOL

Thank God the big bore bug has never got me!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Have a look at Busse as mentioned above and Hinderer and everyone needs a victorinox tinker or 5 although you may not like it due to 2 handed opening issues
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have contracted Blade Addictive Disorder or B.A.D. for short. Much like B.R.D. there is no known cure. Your only recourse is to continue to "Chase the Dragon" by buying more knives.
View Quote

Tell me about it....

Here's the latest addition to my Bark River collection....

Mike Stewart is KILLING ME!!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Is that the 125?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is that the 125?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is that the 125?

That's a Scandi.....
THIS is a 125:

A WONDERFUL blade, by the way.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a Scandi.....

THIS is a 125:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=37027

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=71376

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that the 125?

That's a Scandi.....

THIS is a 125:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=37027

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=71376

They look like the same pic to me, lol.

They are wonderful looking knives.  I was looking around their site and it looks like they make nice knives.  For some reason I really like the 125 with the stag handle.  I never had a knife with a stag handle and dont know how practical that would be.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Both pics of the scarlet 125 are of my knife...I own the one in the gorgeous pic, which is the  same as the one with the 1911...just from the other side.
There are some stag 125s that are among the most gorgeous blades I have ever seen...

I mean.....LOOK AT THIS THING!!!

THAT BEING SAID
Each piece of stag is unique and, from what I have seen, when a whole horn handle is made, the knife must conform to the horn.....SO...some stag knives are amazing looking AND amazing handling....others can be really weird looking and favor only a right hand or left hand user.  Too, you need to care for it...but that's not a big deal.  You have to use the right oils or waxes on it to maintain it.

The knife you see has a unique and purposely chosen piece of stage for the handle....each one will not only vary in color...and but shape and visually aesthetic balance.  That's why I shy away from ones I have not seen and held.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey OP!!!
I just really READ your post and I noticed this:
Yep It followed me home. A Benchmade 162-1 Sibert, Bushcrafter. I have absolutely no use for this knife but me likey!
First, you got a Benchmade.  Benchmade is very well respected and they make VERY good high volume knives.  
Second....can you post a good pic of your Sibert?  I nearly bought one the other day and I'd love to hear what you think of it and I'd like to see a pic of one "in the wild, so to speak".....
I'm a bit jealous of you.....

Third,  I noticed you don't think you have any uses for it.  Take that sucker in the kitchen and use it....that knife will be all kinds of fun in the kitchen.  I used ALL of my Barkies in the kitchen all the time!!!

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Guns, knives and flashlights are my disorder
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Both pics of the scarlet 125 are of my knife...I own the one in the gorgeous pic, which is the  same as the one with the 1911...just from the other side.

There are some stag 125s that are among the most gorgeous blades I have ever seen...

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=71396

THAT BEING SAID

Each piece of stag is unique and, from what I have seen, when a whole horn handle is made, the knife must conform to the horn.....SO...some stag knives are amazing looking AND amazing handling....others can be really weird looking and favor only a right hand or left hand user.  Too, you need to care for it...but that's not a big deal.  You have to use the right oils or waxes on it to maintain it.

The knife you see has a unique and purposely chosen piece of stage for the handle....each one will not only vary in color...and but shape and visually aesthetic balance.  That's why I shy away from ones I have not seen and held.
View Quote

I doubt I'd ever see one in person with the stag handle before buying.  It seems like they only offer them in stag, stacked leather or micarta now.  How does stacked leather hold up on a knife?

Sorry, OP, I'm hijacking your thread.  I would also like to see a pic of the knife you bought.  I'm a closet knife collector that doesn't know much about them other than I like them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I doubt I'd ever see one in person with the stag handle before buying.  It seems like they only offer them in stag, stacked leather or micarta now.  How does stacked leather hold up on a knife?

Sorry, OP, I'm hijacking your thread.  I would also like to see a pic of the knife you bought.  I'm a closet knife collector that doesn't know much about them other than I like them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=71396
THAT BEING SAID

Stacked leather holds up fairly well but you do have to care for it ( I like Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protectant )....they also offer 125s in a variety of woods, too, both normal and stabilized.  When Bark River ( the maker of Blackjack Knives ) does a run of BlackJacks, it's only once or twice a year.   They haven't published the 2015 production schedule yet...but I can keep an eye out for you if you'd like.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Guns, knives and flashlights are my disorder

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii81/dphill15/005_zpsfe99ff48.jpg
View Quote
Love 'em.  The Buck is a classic and that Helle is HELLA SWEEEET!!!

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah....I was the same way.   I never gave much thought about knives other than as a tool.  I've always had some small multi-tool in my possession, as well as one or two inexpensive single blade folders but for decades I laughed at the idea of spending more than 50-60 dollars on a knife.

Than 2 summers ago I wanted to get an assisted opening knife and ended up getting a couple of Kershaws.  

Now I've simply gone full retard and have added some Bark Rivers, an LT wright, a Northwoods folding pocket knife and now a Chris Reeve Green Beret to my knife collection.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Stacked leather holds up fairly well but you do have to care for it ( I like Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Protectant )....they also offer 125s in a variety of woods, too, both normal and stabilized.  When Bark River ( the maker of Blackjack Knives ) does a run of BlackJacks, it's only once or twice a year.   They haven't published the 2015 production schedule yet...but I can keep an eye out for you if you'd like.

View Quote

I'd appreciate that, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You bet!!!

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top