User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 5:50:29 PM EDT

Custom kydex with a Blind Horse in it.

Beautiful Hedgehog Leatherworks Sheath

Godspeed tactical piece

Nice Azwleke sheath

I've been shopping for some pants for an incoming Swamp Rat blade. Looking around at various offerings, I've noticed a trend that's bothering me. Once you see it, it'll bother you too.

It is not ok to simply stack accessory pouches on top of the finished sheath. It looks like crap. Stop it.

A lot of time and skill that goes into making a good sheath. Sticking a firesteel holder or arrowhead pouch on the side of the sheath looks as out of place as a big barnacle on the side of a Fountain Cigarette Boat. It looks like a 7 year-old got loose in the shop with a bottle of epoxy and started sandwiching random parts together. It also looks like it wouldn't be comfortable if I had to wear that on a vest or belt then roll around in the dirt, move around in confined spaces, or run a few miles. I want important things like my knife carried as close to my body as possible, without a bunch of edges and stuff to snag on things.
The other, less important factor is looks. If I'm dropping $100+ on a sheath, it should look good. A little vain, I know, but true. I don't want my friends and co-workers thinking I'm a moron when I show them my knife, and answer the "how much did that cost" question. My preferred reaction is jealousy.

I implore the sheath makers reading this: Take a few moments here and there, try to invent a way of integrating all that stuff (or at least just a nice firesteel) so the sheath is low-profile and looks like what it cost. Hire an industrial designer if you must. Because right now, a lot of you pros are turning out quality stuff that's looking amateur.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I somewhat agree.  I like just a simple sheath nothing added.
Something like this one I made for a Grayman mega pounder 9

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Barnacle encrusted sheaths are an abomination.

That said a couple of screws on most of them and the shit is gone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Agreed. I like them simple and as small as possible and still functional.

Here are some of mine I made a while back.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:39:55 AM EDT
[#4]
it's a blade forums thing....a lot of those makers hang out there, get ideas there, and sell to customers there.  

having a sheath that acts like a catch-all for anything knife related is sort of like hanging every accessory known to man off of an AR rail.

I don't particularly like it, but they haven't reached a tipping point with it yet.

I sort of get the whole fire-steel thing.  Keeps them together...but that's about as far as I'll go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol, I'm one of the sheath makers who's work is pictured above but I know what you mean.  The sheath/picture you posted was a one-off for a now knife maker on the ESEE forums who asked for exactly those items mounted to his sheath.  I've never mounted a Havalon Piranta to another sheath since but it was exactly what he wanted which leads me to "a" point.  Your co-knife carriers are asking for stuff to be mounted to their sheaths.... plain and simple.  

That being said not everybody mounts their items the same....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The Havalon is mounted with only a 1/4" raise because it's an accessory (scalpel) and not a edc knife... basically used for skinning once an animal is down so it is almost always mounted in that holder (notice I don't call it a sheath).

I've been "making sheaths" for less than half the time the sheath makers in the other pictures have (3 years this coming Dec.) but I think there is a huge difference from a "use" standpoint...... if you don't want something mounted to your sheath then obviously this isn't a concern or issue.  

Btw: my site (where that pic is from) is way behind as far as my work goes... everything about that sheath is "old" to me when I look at it.  Current work is on my Instagram page here:  
http://instagram.com/godspeedtactical

Now if you do happen to want a piggyback setup consider the way the piggybacked knife is mounted to the larger sheath as it will make a huge difference.  When I used to look at google or generic images of "sheaths" the recurring thought I'd have is "this was made by a guy who's never carried a knife" (read: used).

Here's some pics of every angle of a piggyback Kydex pouch sheath w/a smaller knife:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is another "old sheath" example of my work but if you want to carry all of this stuff:

Here's a side-view of how accessible everything is:

Oh yeah.. here's the arrowhead holder: (keeps getting worse, lol)

There's two schools of thought that I've heard, one from guys who want everything in one package and others who say "what if you lose your sheath" etc. and It's not my desire to tell anyone how they should carry what they want to carry (unless they're paying me too) so you either like "stuff" mounted to your sheath or you don't... all I'm saying is it ain't the same.  These examples suck and the pictures are outdated but I just posted some ESEE-6/Izula II sheaths today on my IG page that are also "older" but they show a really good example of how it's done properly.  Here: http://instagram.com/p/vqFMrVgXrD/?modal=true

Anyhow this was a fun thread to read and great to be mentioned (even if negatively) btw all of the above pics of sheaths that are "better" all leave me with an impression of a sharp-ass pommel sticking me in the ribs... sometimes simple sucks too

Eli

edited to add: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Well said Godspeed.  It makes sense, it only matters if the end user likes it or not.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree OP, prefer a standard sheath without all the stacked on crap. Just had these made a couple weeks ago, and still need one for the "big knife" in the pick, but thinking leather instead of kydex

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#8]
hey got_speed.  your kydex work looks nice (how well you bend it, the finishing touches, obvious thought put into usability etc).  As you are a custom guy, I get that you make what people want....no harm in that.

Wasn't trying to poo-poo on the maker...they are less...responsible for the trend than the purchaser.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't get it but I like how godspeed does it.

This thread has me looking at options for my 6

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ryan1105/media/newknives.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/newknives.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ryan1105/media/group1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/group1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ryan1105/media/DR1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/DR1.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like these simple.ones. If I want a flint and striker and sharpening stone or anything I'll throw it in my pack.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/newknives.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/group1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/ryan1105/DR1.jpg
View Quote
What are the details on the ones in the second pic? They look great.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope I didn't offend you Godspeed, that's not my intention. I wanted to offer a suggestion for improvement to someone, a way to differentiate yourself from every other guy bending kydex.

It makes a lot of sense for a firesteel (and some of that other stuff) to be on a knife sheath. I would prefer not to have a completely bare sheath, but I will not buy something that looks like two separate holders stuck to each other. Something cleanly integrated is what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#13]
grabagear:

sick1:
Dude you have some good taste in knives, I love the Rodent 4... is that a Gladius?  I don't make sheaths for knives that I don't own anymore but I made a sheath for a Waki once that reminds me of it.

Here's my Rodent 4 w/a "simple sheath" (btw the thumb-push makes a huge difference on a taco sheath):

fla556guy:
Thanks man!  Your post reminded me of the AR picture that floats around with the 50+ accessories hanging off of it... it's funny & true.  It's purchasers and makers to some degree, it can be like an arms race to see who can cram the most stuff, etc.  

Star_Scream:
Thanks!!

Kilroytheknifesnob:
No offense taken at all, I enjoyed your post and like I said it was cool/funny to see me mentioned.  I'm always open to suggestions & constructive criticism although I think I've already differentiated myself from the others.  It looks like you're already leaning towards a maker or two... I say this because some pics were prefaced with "nice", "custom", "beautiful" & mine as a "piece"  Once you pick your sheath maker just let them know your concerns, ideas etc.  A lot of what I end up doing is from being given artistic license so I've started mounting fire steels to the top of a sheath to keep a slim profile instead of on the side where it will widen the sheath plus it's something original and a huge improvement over some of the standard options out there.

Like this: Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter

Or a similar setup with a mini-bic lighter: Survive GSO-10

These are the two examples I mentioned yesterday that are older pics/sheaths for me but they show the clearance and ease of actual use that I was talking about:

Mounting "stuff" to the top of a sheath can be small and simple too like on a "neck sheath" where there isn't much room to begin with:

I think looks can be deceiving too, especially when you can't actually handle what you're seeing in pics.  Here's an ESEE HEST (DPx Gear/Original) with a "loaded" sheath:

It looks kind of crazy or bulky but that setup is actually pretty compact when worn (doesn't make my ass look fat?): (That's an Emerson Karambit in my front pocket for reference)

Again, no offense taken... I haven't actually posted any pics on a forum for about 9 months because things have been so hectic/busy and I don't like to post and "have fun" while people are waiting for their sheaths but I still check here for gun stuff and knives for sale periodically.  It's always cool seeing other peoples gear setups and especially their sheath opinions and my skin is thick so no problem at all man.  

Now to post as an individual (and not a sheath maker) here's what I carry when I'm out or getting some dirt-time in, in one very compact setup I've got a knife, fire and a flash light covered: (not the exact sheath & knife but close enough)

but in all Black like this:

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#14]
God_Speed, yes sir  thats a Gladius. One of these days I'll get a good camera out and get some deserving pics posted up. Waki is high on my list for next purchase. You make some nice sheaths, even the ones with all the stuff stacked on it
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kilroytheknifesnob:
No offense taken at all, I enjoyed your post and like I said it was cool/funny to see me mentioned.  I'm always open to suggestions & constructive criticism although I think I've already differentiated myself from the others.  It looks like you're already leaning towards a maker or two... I say this because some pics were prefaced with "nice", "custom", "beautiful" & mine as a "piece"  Once you pick your sheath maker just let them know your concerns, ideas etc.  A lot of what I end up doing is from being given artistic license so I've started mounting fire steels to the top of a sheath to keep a slim profile instead of on the side where it will widen the sheath plus it's something original and a huge improvement over some of the standard options out there.
View Quote

I wouldn't assume things, you're one of the top kydex benders I've seen, and you have the knife I need a sheath for.

I know it's not nice to point out problems without solutions, so I did some mock-ups in paper so you can see what I think looks good. This is what I meant by integrated design. Is this something you can make, and do you think would function well?

The challenge with these two would probably be the edge finishing after you bent them to shape. On youtube I see a lot of guys using belt sanders, which probably wouldn't work too well here. If I was manufacturing sheaths (and had unlimited money) I'd make the sheath by hand once, take it apart and flatten it, then make a base CAD model from that. Contract out a waterjet cutting place to run a couple dozen of the flats, and bend as the orders come in. Complicated one-piece designs would probably be a lot easier if they weren't being cut by hand every time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I agree OP, prefer a standard sheath without all the stacked on crap. Just had these made a couple weeks ago, and still need one for the "big knife" in the pick, but thinking leather instead of kydex
http://i57.tinypic.com/10clxev.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/iw3eht.jpg

View Quote
That Swamp Rat looks familiar. You have good taste in knives sir.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]
So maybe I'm just retarded but what's the idea behind carrying the arrow head
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So maybe I'm just retarded but what's the idea behind carrying the arrow head
View Quote

If you need to hunt/spearfish in a survival situation you'll have a real arrowhead to work with, and won't have to improvise something, or spend hours making a flint one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's the way I see it. The majority of folks that have a ton of shit stacked onto a sheath haven't had to carry it for any long period of time. Hell, I seriously limit the size of knife I carry due to weight. I've made big knives (15in OAL, 1/4in thick, 2in wide) and carrying them for a long period of time, in a sheath by themselves, isn't even realistic. They're fun, but It's just not practical.  

It's similar to folks who load up AR15's with a bunch of attachments. Once they have to walk a few miles with it(let alone with a plate carrier/battle load)they start to think different about things. I've taken a few of these guys out for a day of coyote hunting before and they're spent by afternoon. I started out doing the same and quickly moved to a 6lb CZ bolt rifle. In a lot of cases less is more.

When you look at the knives guys carry, who are out in the woods a LOT(Mors Kochanski types), you'll find they usually don't have edges longer than 4-5 inches. They aren't used for battoning or chopping down trees either. That's what hatchets/saws are for. In terms of using energy/calories in an economical way, a lot of folks don't have a clue.

I will say, if anything, a firesteel isn't a bad thing to have on a sheath. I've been looking at incorporating them into my leather sheathes.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top