Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/26/2014 11:33:12 AM EDT
I picked up a WorkSharp Ken Onion model and got to work on an old abused Enfield bayonet. The blade was heavily chipped and I was able to remove most of the chips with the extra coarse belt. I progressed through all the belts up to the stropping belt and the bayonet had a hair popping edge when I was done. It may not have been this sharp when it left the Royal Factory Ishapore in 1942.

I have sharpened all my knives and all my parent's cutlery and all belts still have plenty of life left. I'm very impressed with the convex edges it puts on blades.

Cell phone photos:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the regular model and it's one of my most used tools.

I got it primarily because a family friend who badly abuses her kitchen knives is constantly bringing them to me to sharpen. It got so that I dreaded her visits, because I knew I'd be doomed to spend a couple hours with the diamond stones. Now not only is sharpening them only a matter of minutes, but t's paid for itself because she always brings a pie or something to thank me.

And all my own knives, axes and machetes are very well maintained.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, do you think she's dulling the blades on purpose to give you the pie?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the regular model and it's one of my most used tools.

I got it primarily because a family friend who badly abuses her kitchen knives is constantly bringing them to me to sharpen. It got so that I dreaded her visits, because I knew I'd be doomed to spend a couple hours with the diamond stones. Now not only is sharpening them only a matter of minutes, but t's paid for itself because she always brings a pie or something to thank me.

And all my own knives, axes and machetes are very well maintained.
View Quote

I agree well worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL, do you think she's dulling the blades on purpose to give you the pie?

View Quote

Hey ladies I sharpen knives for free!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I did the same thing with a machete, only took a couple minutes.        

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my work sharp. It makes it so easy and almost impossible to screw up. True story, I ran into Ken Onion at  the airport and wanted to tell them how awesome I thought it was but didn't want t come off weird or anything.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one and like it.

I'm left handed and it's kinda awkward to use so I'm going to try the blade grinding attachment for Christmas. The belts are wider and there's even a leather strop belt.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I just can't understand why folks would pay that much, or even more for the Ken Onion edition, when at Sears, Harbor freight, Norther Tool, etc...You can get a 1x30 belt grinder and do the exact same thing for 1/4 to 1/2 the price plus 1x30 replacement belts are way cheaper, last longer and come in many more grit varieties.

I use stones, diamond plates, 3- 1x30's and 2- 2x72's and a 4x72 to sharpen everything you could possibly think of....the WS is simply an expensive novelty for no more than it does.

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Because with the Work Sharp (KO or not) the guides keep you from screwing up the angle of the edge.  

I have a Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander, and it would work fine if I could keep the blade at the proper angle.  The Work Sharp makes it (virtually) fool-proof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just can't understand why folks would pay that much, or even more for the Ken Onion edition, when at Sears, Harbor freight, Norther Tool, etc...You can get a 1x30 belt grinder and do the exact same thing for 1/4 to 1/2 the price plus 1x30 replacement belts are way cheaper, last longer and come in many more grit varieties.

I use stones, diamond plates, 3- 1x30's and 2- 2x72's and a 4x72 to sharpen everything you could possibly think of....the WS is simply an expensive novelty for no more than it does.

YMMV

Because with the Work Sharp (KO or not) the guides keep you from screwing up the angle of the edge.  

I have a Harbor Freight 1x30 belt sander, and it would work fine if I could keep the blade at the proper angle.  The Work Sharp makes it (virtually) fool-proof.

Sorry, not buying it. The learning curve on a 1x30 it about 2 old shitty kitchen knives and a half hours work. The cost difference justifies the effort on a 1x30.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I can put the Work Sharp in my ruck and carry it to work and sharpen knives all night. The belt sander is not as portable.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top