Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:22 AM EDT
I have never owned one.  Who makes the best?  
Folding, or fixed better?
Law enforcement have anything bad to say about them?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Not very utilitarian IMHO. Fixed. I own a Derespina Model 10 Krambit. Like I said before, not very utilitarian unless you know what you're doing with it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I love the Desperina 10s! Would love to own one, but it's definitely something you have to train with. I believe in stabbing a mother fucker in the vitals, not trying to de fang him.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have carried them for years, great knives but not a day to day utilitarian design.  If you understand the best way to apply the knive, the folding designs are the best IMHO.  Top of that list is the Emerson, I have one and it's a great knife.  That said, I don't carry it much; I got a Fox FX-599 and, after sanding down the G-10 scales that were a bit too aggressive, it has become my EDC knife.

So, short version- get a folder, get an Emerson if possible, the Fox 599 is a decent knife as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I think for self defense a traditional blade will be more effective unless well versed in how the karambit should be used. As for law enforcement, I think you would have a hard time arguing that it's for any other purpose but self defense. That may or may not fly with them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I took Steve Tarani's class a couple years back and I really like the karambit for defense.

On the practical side.... You almost need to carry a second knife for the 99.9% of the time utility use of carrying a knife.

I own the 5.11 fixed and folder and an Emerson folder. All solid knives.

I tend to carry an Emerson or Spyderco w/ wave to backup my pistol
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I took Steve Tarani's class a couple years back and I really like the karambit for defense.

On the practical side.... You almost need to carry a second knife for the 99.9% of the time utility use of carrying a knife.

I own the 5.11 fixed and folder and an Emerson folder. All solid knives.

I tend to carry an Emerson or Spyderco w/ wave to backup my pistol
View Quote

100% agree, I carry an Emerson Karambit (mostly folder & sometimes fixed) but I found the need for a second knife too.  I'd definitely look into an Emerson, if you want a fixed blade Karambit Emerson makes one but I also like the Bush Monkey Knives Karambit.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top