Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 5:07:10 PM EDT
What kind of steel is in a modern craftsman push mower blade?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
a wide variety

I'd stay away.

if you want a decent steel, go get some leaf springs or something like that
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Commercial blades would be ok, residential blades a are crap.

I gave about two dozen commercial blades to a buddy to make knives out of and he only used maybe eight of them.  The rest just weren't up to par.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The general consensus is: for what you pay for a new mower blade of unknown quality steel,  you can buy a piece of known quality blade steel from a reputable supplier.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The general consensus is: for what you pay for a new mower blade of unknown quality steel,  you can buy a piece of known quality blade steel from a reputable supplier.

View Quote

This.

Why spend $15 on a new mower blade that you have to fight with in order to make into a flat piece of steel when you can buy a 48" piece of 1095 or even better 1084 flat stock for $10 - $15? Its already annealed and ready to go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry I meant new as in modern.  I have a bent one laying around.  If I was going to buy something I'd buy 1095
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry I meant new as in modern.  I have a bent one laying around.  If I was going to buy something I'd buy 1095
View Quote

Again, not knowing what type of steel you're dealing with can lead to failure.  You'd just be guessing on the heat treat.

Get some 1075 or 1080, very forgiving and you can find the HT info almost anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Leaf springs work well
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
A bent blade is asking for trouble.  What has happened to that blade???  Microfractures, or outright cracks.  Many will not show until after HT and in final finishing.   The materials used to work this blade are worth more than the cost of a known steel.  If you want a great easy working steel go with 1084 if you can find it.  1095 can be finicky in the HT.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top