Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/18/2014 6:25:22 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with any of these?  For a rough use EDC, I'm thinking of picking up a couple, CQC-6K, 7K, maybe a 4K.  I can't expect the steel to be as good as a genuine CQC, but at 1/10th the price for a Wave action?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a half dozen or so real Emersons as well as a Kershaw CQC-6K. You can't really compare them because the steel and locking mechanisms are totally different. The Kershaw is surprisingly nice for the $25 I paid for it, it's definitely one of the best sub-$30 folders I've ever handled. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend one to someone looking for an inexpensive EDC. Centering was good right out of the box and the lockup is solid. They're also a great way to try out the wave feature without dropping $200 on a real Emerson.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I found them a great way to try out the wave feature without the expense of a full on Emerson. I picked up the CQC-4K.

It's a great, cheap, EDC knife. I think I still prefer the Leek's better as they are a little thinner, but the CQC's are solid, cheap knives that you don't have to worry about screwing them up and if you do, just send them to Kershaw and they will fix most problems. The leek has a thinner blade, which is more useful to me than the thicker CQC blades (and the Cryo series, which I also like)

So, I would recommend them, no doubt about that and I would buy another.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Like all of Ernie's designs, the design is decent, the blade shapes have average usability, the ergonomics are pretty well thought out, the material choice is meh and the build quality is... okay.  I know it's not a custom, but lets be honest, the reason you're buying the knife is because it says "Emerson design" on the side.

Frankly I think that the Kershaw versions are better made than their US counterparts, and that's pretty sad.  The detents actually work on them, that's a plus, but I find them to be much tighter and less smooth on the draw.  They also tend to have later lockups, which isn't a problem, it's just something to be aware of.  Sharpening job can be sketchy, out of the two dozen or so I've handled a third of them had badly folded edges.  

Overall, like I said, I've handled about two dozen of them.  I make knives for a living, so it takes a lot to impress me.  For the money, they're okay, but nothing really special.  If that's all I had money for I'd take a look at them and compare them to other knives at the price point... then I would save my money a bit longer and buy something like a Kershaw Blur or a Benchmade 55X or 94X series knife, maybe a Spyderco PM2 if I could find one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:59:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone have experience with any of these?  For a rough use EDC, I'm thinking of picking up a couple, CQC-6K, 7K, maybe a 4K.  I can't expect the steel to be as good as a genuine CQC, but at 1/10th the price for a Wave action?
View Quote

Great for the price. Love mine. But for "rough" use? I'm going to say no.

You get what you pay for, if not more. Though at that price-point, expecting anything beyond a decent, general, EDC knife is a little outrageous.

I'll admit, I don't think any folder should be expected to survive "rough" use, and shouldn't be subjected to them under anything but severe, immediate, unexpected circumstances.

If you're fully expecting to see your knife get an ass-kicking, you should be carrying a $20 EOD Breacher Bar.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Got my cqc4k, 6k, and 7k today. For the price, definitely hard to beat.  The 6 and 7 will need a cleaning as the action is kinda gritty on both, but the 4k is very smooth out of the box.  Will  post pics later.  

These may turn into EDC for normal/mod use, but nothing heavy or rough afterall.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Made in China with  8Cr14MoV steel? Not just no, hell no.

Really think Kershaw would have had a killer product if they made these in the US with a medium-grade steel. Priced under $75 they'd fly off the shelves.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:10:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont care how good it might be its made in China!   Fuck China, buy American!!!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine seems alright in handling it but havent cut much yet. Dont really like the single side grip but it still feels good in the hand.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really think Kershaw would have had a killer product if they made these in the US with a medium-grade steel. Priced under $75 they'd fly off the shelves.
View Quote

What do find wrong with 8Cr14MoV?  

I've got a few Kershaw blades (2 Crowns and a Freefall?). For a $15 folder I think it's pretty good steel. It holds an edge pretty well and sharpens up easily enough.

But I admit, all my other folders are either 1095, Buck 420HC or AUS6 and AUS8. I'm not well versed on the top tier blade steels.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've got a few Kershaw blades (2 Crowns and a Freefall?). For a $15 folder I think it's pretty good steel. It holds an edge pretty well and sharpens up easily enough.

But I admit, all my other folders are either 1095, Buck 420HC or AUS6 and AUS8. I'm not well versed on the top tier blade steels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

people don't like it because it's a china steel.

that being said, it compares well with AUS-8.  For the asking price of that kershaw-emerson knife, you aren't going to get anything like elmax, vg-10, etc.  You just aren't.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I would rather have the zt Emerson over a true Emerson The one and only Emerson i owned was poor quality for the price so i sold it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would rather have the zt Emerson over a true Emerson The one and only Emerson i owned was poor quality for the price so i sold it.
View Quote

BINGO. Exactly what I came here to post. I've owned probably 6-7 different Emersons and I didn't like a damn one of them. The fit and finish on every one I've seen has been shit. I can't stand the chisel grind as it's made for lefties. I got one of the new Emerson/kershaw collaborative knives and I like it better than the emersons I've had. It has a traditional V grind and also has a frame lock.

As far as people scoffing about the steel, they're probably just regurgitating steel snobbery. There plenty of people out there who will tell you that 440 is crap but I guarantee you there are people out there who have put some Randall knives(440b and 440c) through hell and they hold up just fine. 8Cr13MoV is a Chicom steel and might not perform like S35VN(or any other fine crucible steels), M390, D2, Elmax, etc... but it's no slouch. The knife will likely hold up to anything the average user will throw at it. And as far as hard use is concerned, as long as you're not a first responder and it's life or death/survival, sure it would work. If you break the blade, send it in with $10 and you get a brand new one. Can't beat that.

I make fixed blade knives as a partial living, and have WAY too many folders(High end Benchmades, Spyderco, Zero Tolerance, Strider, etc..). The knife I carry with me the majority of the time is a spyderco resilience($40 budget blade with 8Cr13MoV) or the Kershaw/Emerson. I'm not gonna beat the hell out of, or lose a $400 knife carrying it around everyday. Now if I'm on a long road trip or a potentially higher risk place I might carry something more rock-solid.

I will say one thing about the "wave" feature in regards to self defense, I don't like it. Relying on that little tab to grab your pocket in a chaotic situation isn't realistic and the grip you're left with is a pinch grip with your thumb/index. It works great for when you have one arm full and you need to open it for something without flinging your arm around but other than that I'm not a fan. I carry my spyderco the majority of the time and ran a ziptie through the spider hole as a "poor-man's" wave feature.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are the pics of my 3.  So far, the actions have been pretty smooth.  I agree that the Wave feature is not the best for defensive purposes (but that's what my Benchmade Axis-assist knives are for).  For EDC, nice lock-up, thin, ergonomic handles and pretty cheap!

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd really like to get one to try out but I can't get over how high the pocket clip is.  Almost 1/4 of the knife will be sticking out of my pocket! They really need to put the clip from the Cryo on everything they sell in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a CQC-2K and I'm not impressed. This is the smallest version they offered-I bought it because it featured my preferred blade shape.

Out of the box, detent and action were extremely stiff. Tried loosening the pivot, didn't help too much. Best way to describe it is "mushy" I blame this in part due to the nylon washers (that are quite thick. It's startening to loosen up, but i still feel for my pockets if I use the wave feature. Centering was okay. Edge was folded, which has been my experience with the last kershaw (skyline) i bought as well. The G-10 isn't very well textured which is a big let down considering that to use the wave feature you must keep a insecure "pinch grip". Finally, the pocket clip is a thick chunk of metal and has a lot of tension-too much IMHO.

I'd return mine if I didn't have to pay shipping.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought one, not sure of the number, but it is the green one with the black blade.  Anyways, pretty unimpressed.  Very stiff, uneaven edge, heavy for it's size, and wide.  The Emerson opener is not my cup of tea either.  It rarely fully opens unless I pull back hard and fast when removing the knife from my pocket.  The reason is it is too stiff.

For $35 or whatever I paid for it, I really shouldn't have expected much, even with the Emerson name on the blade.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My 3 are the 4k, 6k, and 7k, top to bottom.  The tan handled 4k is the smoothest i think due to the black blade. No adjustments were needed.  My 6 and 7 needed slight loosening of the tension screw and some cleaning/lube with hornady one shot.  Now both are quite smooth.  I got all 3 on sale at midway so they cam to a total of just under $80 shipped for all 3.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I like mine, but I just view it as a $30 knife with a wave.  If you want harder use and a wave feature but a reasonable price-point, go with the Spyderco versions.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the 6 and 8... Both are great knives for the price.  Not top of the line by any means, but certainy good quality.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#21]
The Kershaw Emersons I've handled have been excellent with perfect lockup. They are priced right for sure. I also suspect the QC on the Kershaws will be much better.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I picked up the 6k at the Kershaw factory sale for $15. For that price its a hell of a knife. Fits my needs to carry at the day job for odd jobs without crying if I set it down and forget where it is. The little wheel doesn't serve well as a thumb stud, but the other models I played with flipped open easier.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#23]
kershaw is gtg
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#24]
If you really want the Wave feature I'd pay a little more and get a Waved Spyderco.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Totally agree with this statement. The Keyshaw is alright but I think your better off buying the spyderco (better steel better quality control ) they aren't that much more in reality.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top