Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 9:00:08 PM EDT
Is the KO version worth the extra money?

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the regular one, and it works great.  I couldn't justify spending twice as much on the KO one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been happy with my standard work sharp.  I put a good edge on a dull machete in under 5 minutes.

I didn't see the Ken Onion version when I got mine or I might have went that route.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess it really all depends how much and what you'll use it for.

I have the KO edition and I'm getting the blade grinding attachment. The belts are 1 inch wide and also has a leather stropping belt available.

If you're only sharpening a few knives and don't intend to mirror polish the edge the regular may be all you need.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The original work sharp dosent even compare to the Ko edition. Its like trying to compare a Chevette to a Corvette it cant be done. Get the K0 and be done with it very much worth the money !
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Sharpening stone , elbow grease.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been happy with my standard work sharp.  I put a good edge on a dull machete in under 5 minutes.

I didn't see the Ken Onion version when I got mine or I might have went that route.
View Quote

Same here, didn't know the KO existed when I got my standard WS. I can put a razor edge on my blades in no time with the standard model. I do think the KO has a couple features that make it better like the adjustable speeds and leather belts mentioned above, had I known the KO existed I probably would have gotten it. With that being said I don't think you will be let down by either ones performance.

A small piece of advice on the WS for the OP it removes steel fast. Be careful to stop your stroke with the tip in the center of the belt so you get a needle sharp point. If you drag it off the edge it will round your tip quickly but the good news is you can fix it easily if you do round it accidentally. I did it with my ZT 560
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The KO is worth the money.    Plus the price on the KO has come down a bit lately
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Musket, hope.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The KO was on sale at cabelas.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My uncle taught me how
to sharpen a knife with a
stone when I was about
10. I bought a Lansky kit
about 30 years ago and
I still have it & use it, but
I acquired an MOD Mk II
auto, with no finished edge,
and I have been working
on it for a while with the
Lansky, but it is taking a
long time to get it finished.
So I am thinking about
cheating by buying a
WS.

That's my story...

John
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Musket, hope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Musket, hope.
hahaha!

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
KO hands down.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top