Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/22/2014 10:58:45 AM EDT

Was actually tempted to buy a Spyderco Military in camo:

Sexy.

Wait, what's this?

I can't switch the clip for tip up carry?

WTF man?

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have options to move the pocket clip, but the Military only goes tip down.  I'm all about tip up, but on the military for me it worked pretty good being tip down since it was such a big knife.  If it were int he tip up position, you'd have to move all the way down the handle to flick open whereas in tip down you are right at the hole due to the knife size.

Another option is the paramilitary 2.  Basically the same knife in a smaller package.  You can carry it any which way you want.  The pm2 is one of my personal favorites.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have options to move the pocket clip, but the Military only goes tip down.  I'm all about tip up, but on the military for me it worked pretty good being tip down since it was such a big knife.  If it were int he tip up position, you'd have to move all the way down the handle to flick open whereas in tip down you are right at the hole due to the knife size.

Another option is the paramilitary 2.  Basically the same knife in a smaller package.  You can carry it any which way you want.  The pm2 is one of my personal favorites.
View Quote

That does look like a viable choice.

It's probably also better that the blade is under 4 inches so not to run into any possible legal issues in NY or NJ.

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
you find a knife you want but it doesn't exactly suit your needs/wants so the company needs to get their shit together? LOL

Get the military man I think you'll like it.. Para is a solid choice too though

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you find a knife you want but it doesn't exactly suit your needs/wants so the company needs to get their shit together? LOL

View Quote

C'mon now, how many military folders can you name that don't allow you to switch from tip down to tip up?

I'm used to Zero Tolerance and Benchmade where switching it is easy peasy.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I agree. They need to upgrade the lock while they're at it. Basically make it a larger version of the PM2.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

C'mon now, how many military folders can you name that don't allow you to switch from tip down to tip up?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know i know, but for some reason people (myself included) love the Millie just the way it is. It's kinda become an instant classic I guess and spyderco has so many projects on the table they aren't worried about an older very successful knife that still sales very well I suppose.

Quoted:
Yes, I agree. They need to upgrade the lock while they're at it. Basically make it a larger version of the PM2.

I'd love to see that and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it gets some upgrades but like I said above^^

I do love the military's liner lock but after carrying mine for going on 4 years as a heavily used work knife the lockup was about 80% with the slightest amount of lock rock so I recently peened the lock and its back to about 40% with solid lockup. I like the short throw it has but it does eventually need maintenance to keep going. ETA: in my experience anyhow) did I mention I used it heavily for going on 4 years.. Lots of flipping out and heavy lock stress type use.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Was actually tempted to buy a Spyderco Military in camo:

http://f.internetara.com/onbellek/12/11/10/iuuq_NV_00gvolzjnh_SL_dpn0v30211023_2NU_0TQ47HQDNPCL_SL_kqh.jpg

Sexy.

Wait, what's this?

http://www.gpknives.com/images/spyderco/C36GPCMO-2%5Blarge%5D.1324653504.jpg

I can't switch the clip for tip up carry?

WTF man?

View Quote

Just do what most tip-up guys do, go over to bladeforums and get a lowrider clip from STR and then mount it. Or, if you are handy like me....make your own.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I would buy a Spyderco Military if they made them tip up and with a different lock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I know i know, but for some reason people (myself included) love the Millie just the way it is. It's kinda become an instant classic I guess and spyderco has so many projects on the table they aren't worried about an older very successful knife that still sales very well I suppose.
I'd love to see that and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it gets some upgrades but like I said above^^

I do love the military's liner lock but after carrying mine for going on 4 years as a heavily used work knife the lockup was about 80% with the slightest amount of lock rock so I recently peened the lock and its back to about 40% with solid lockup. I like the short throw it has but it does eventually need maintenance to keep going. ETA: in my experience anyhow) did I mention I used it heavily for going on 4 years.. Lots of flipping out and heavy lock stress type use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you please explain what you did to the lock to fix the rocking?  I am not quite sure what you meant when you said you peened the lock.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe preening isn't the correct terminology.. I struck the side of the lock with a chisel or flat head screwdriver to push material torwards the edge of the lock where it contacts the blade. Does that make sense?

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Maybe preening isn't the correct terminology.. I struck the side of the lock with a chisel or flat head screwdriver to push material torwards the edge of the lock where it contacts the blade. Does that make sense?

View Quote
That does make sense.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#12]
]
Quoted:
That does make sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That does make sense.

Post #5 in this thread explains it well an is the reason I tried it in the first place. I was going to increase the size o the stop pin until I did some research on it.

FWIW my military lock is holding up strong as a daily user after doing this.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
never was an issue.

clown
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top