Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/16/2014 12:32:38 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a "expensive" otf. I've played with some people's OTFs and I can get a specific failure to occur which I wonder happens with the expensive knives.

What I do is grasp the knife and bring the heel swiftly downwards then abruptly stop. As I stop I push the button to deploy the blade. This makes it only come out partway and flap about.
(the movement is like trying to get the last bit of ketchup out of a bottle)

Does the happen with expensive D/As? Is not even a abrupt movement that causes failure in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure I replicated your test,  and I can't get my Benchmade Infidel to do what you're describing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
A majority of double action OTF knives will do that no matter how much they cost or who made them.

Get a single action if you're worried that much about it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a thought but would you ever make that motion in the normal day to day use of the knife. I think it is concern over nothing. If you like a nice OTF then buy it but realize like all things they have their strengths and weaknesses.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I'm not really concerned about it aside from if I needed the knife in a bumpy environment.
I'm seeing it as more of a stress test, like if it can fire soaking wet, little sandy, etc.

Just curious how much beefier microtechs are. I know I like how hard they are to activate.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly I'm not really concerned about it aside from if I needed the knife in a bumpy environment.
I'm seeing it as more of a stress test, like if it can fire soaking wet, little sandy, etc.

Just curious how much beefier microtechs are. I know I like how hard they are to activate.
View Quote

When comparing DA to DA I'd actually say the Infidel and Combat Troodon are equally robust. The Ultratechs and Benchmade's HK Tumult are a bit less so, being slimmer and lighter.

As the above poster stated, if you want a really, really tough OTF, get a HALO V.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I sold my microtech so I cannot help with the test but just wanted to tell you to take a look at the piranha excalibur also
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't try your test , but I've had 2 Infidels , but neither opened and locked 100% . I sold both , and bought a Microtech Scarab . It is 100% so far  - opening and closing .
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top