Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/16/2014 11:17:49 AM EDT
Have a Benchmade 710 with a D2 blade.. Love the knife.. What would be a good sharpener?  I understand I can send it to Benchmade.  However, Id like to be able to sharpen it (and a couple others myself)..  I have an old stone that I have had for years that I use on my Old Timer.  Should I just use the stone I have or is there a better way?  Thoughts / Suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Try one of these.  

Fast and easy way to put a razor-sharp edge on just about anything that cuts.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Worksharp. I am a tard when it comes to sharpening and the work sharp makes me look good.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try one of these.  

Fast and easy way to put a razor-sharp edge on just about anything that cuts.
View Quote

These are great, but, Id drop the extra $50 bucks or so for the Ken Onion edition.     Completely worth it.     Or get a nice guided system like the Wicked Edge or the Apex Pro or even a Lanksy.

I like D2 but it can be a beotch to sharpen by hand especially if it gets really beat up
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a work sharp I got for Christmas last year. I use it for our kitchen knives and my butchering set, but no way am I willing to put one if my high dollar folders or fixed blades in it.

Not to thread hi jack, but how about the spyderco sharpener I've seen on Amazon for under $60. I have a few D2 knives, some s30v and vg10 blades. As well as some 1095 carbon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the WorkSharp Ken Onion. I've been messing with various sharping gadgets for years but hands down this is far and away the best I've ever used.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll say it.....get some stones and LEARN to do it freehand. It isn't hard and it give you a useful skill that works anywhere, not just where there is a 110v outlet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Recently picked up the ken onion worksharp and its been pretty good so far.  I overthink shit and thats probably why im not getting the edges I want (yet) but I currently intend to use it primarily for kitchen knives, and heavier work on overly dulled carry and field knives.

The spyderco sharpmaker gives me the scary sharp edge I want every time, but the work involved lends itself more to touch ups and light tasks.  Ive put a few knives through the worksharp to get a good start, then finished them on the spyderco with great success.  I also picked up the ultra fine stones for a little extra bling shine on that edge.

Have and hate my lansky system.  Awkward in use, has issues with some of the blade shapes on my folders (the spine on a 0350 for example doesnt fit the clamp too well), and overall its never produced an edge even close to the spyderco for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I used to really enjoy freehand sharpening with the DMT diamond stones.  That was before kids, a house, a dog and a bunch of other stuff that takes priority over sharpening knvies.  If you enjoy freehand sharpening and have the time to do it, the DMT stones are great.

I still freehand some knives, but I also use the Work Sharp KO version for a lot of knives.  It's great for kitchen knives!  I've even used it on a few Benchmades and fixed blades, although I haven't done any recurve blades with it.  I've also used the DMT Aligner kit, similar to the Lansky system, but it's a little more money and comes with diamond stones.  It works, but there's nothing exciting about it.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the worksharp.  Works fairly well very quickly.  Took about five minutes to get my dull machete to the point it could shave some arm hair.        

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a set of THESE on an electric grinder.  This is what you see guys using a gun shows to quickly put a razor edge on almost any knife.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Recently picked up the ken onion worksharp and its been pretty good so far. I overthink shit and thats probably why im not getting the edges I want (yet) but I currently intend to use it primarily for kitchen knives, and heavier work on overly dulled carry and field knives.

The spyderco sharpmaker gives me the scary sharp edge I want every time, but the work involved lends itself more to touch ups and light tasks. Ive put a few knives through the worksharp to get a good start, then finished them on the spyderco with great success. I also picked up the ultra fine stones for a little extra bling shine on that edge.

Have and hate my lansky system. Awkward in use, has issues with some of the blade shapes on my folders (the spine on a 0350 for example doesnt fit the clamp too well), and overall its never produced an edge even close to the spyderco for me.
View Quote

This exactly mirrors what I was going to post.  The KO Worksharp has a bit of a learning curve but now my wife complains I am sharpening the kitchen cutlery too sharp.

Since I need something easy to use in the field for my work knives I was an early adopter of the Spyderco sharpener (bought mine at the PX at Fort Gordon about 24 years ago, and after I showed my kit to a Spyderco rep they confirmed it was one of the first kits they manufactured).  Great piece of kit and you can put a ridiculous edge on a knife with it.

I retired my Lansky kit years ago, I never could get it to give me the same edge as the Spyderco.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's the secret about knife sharpening:

It's 5% sharpener.

95% holding the blade, repeatedly, on the right angle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Apex pro works great.  Sharpmaker is ok for touch-ups on blades with that angle.  Apex works well enough to get me over my aversion to using a knife because I used to dread the sharpening process on other devices.  The apex is quick and easy.  A little extra, but worth it!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the Worksharp KO. Easiest thing I've used ever
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a wicked edge. It's great. Every knife in my house is razor sharp
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Worksharp. Very easy to use and can sharpen lawnmower blades to boot.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top