Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 12:20:48 PM EDT
I have a growing interest in one of these to replace (or backup) my pre-Grylls Gerber folder since in TN it's legal to carry about any sort of knife now.

I was looking at the Benchmade Infidel line but that stuff is pricey and it looks like the mechanism could be inadvertently tripped in my pocket.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  I also saw that they had H&K-licensed auto knives for less than their Infidel line and the tripping mechanism looks harder to accidentally trip.  But, again, is worrying about that even an issue?

Here's a link to the H&K OTF

Are there any other brands I should be looking at that still have attractive prices?  I'm pretty excited about getting my first OTF knife.

ETA: And if anyone knows of a brand that has an easy-to-use safety that would be cool
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Microtech's OTF knives are far superior to Benchmade's offferings IMO. Take a look at the Microtech Ultratech it's only a few dollars more than the HK Epidemic.  The button on the Ultratech requires a good amount of pressure to fire the blade, it's highly unlikely to deploy accidentally in your pocket.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Benchmade makes some of the best knives out there, there is no way in hell their Infidel could accidentally activate in the pocket. Benchmade is a phenomenal American company and stands behind their stuff, including their H&K products!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The best OTF out there won't lock up as tight as your Chinese Gerber so don't be disappointed.OTF are cool but generally leave something to be desired for every day utility with the exception of opening letters.

I would not carry an auto without a safety and certainly not an OTF without a safety in close proximity to my nads.

I carry a Meyerco Darrel Ralph 18 X-Ray in a friction fit belt sheath. For the money I don't think you can buy a better or more user friendly side opener. 4ish" 154CM DLC coated blade, 6061 hard anodized scales, SAS opening which incorporates the safety into the firing mechanism, and are NSN numbered Berry compliant for those concerned with such things. 18  X-Ray

I know that isn't what you asked for, but if you are looking for a solid user, they are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Microtech's OTF knives are far superior to Benchmade's offferings IMO. Take a look at the Microtech Ultratech it's only a few dollars more than the HK Epidemic.  The button on the Ultratech requires a good amount of pressure to fire the blade, it's highly unlikely to deploy accidentally in your pocket.
View Quote
I have a Microtech and an Infidel.  I like
my Infidel, it actually works and has always been fairly easy to
deploy.  The Microtech from the beginning was very stiff to use and now
is almost impossible to deploy.

When I first got the Microtech I thought it might wear in, but it never did.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The best OTF out there won't lock up as tight as your Chinese Gerber so don't be disappointed.OTF are cool but generally leave something to be desired for every day utility with the exception of opening letters.

I would not carry an auto without a safety and certainly not an OTF without a safety in close proximity to my nads.

I carry a Meyerco Darrel Ralph 18 X-Ray in a friction fit belt sheath. For the money I don't think you can buy a better or more user friendly side opener. 4ish" 154CM DLC coated blade, 6061 hard anodized scales, SAS opening which incorporates the safety into the firing mechanism, and are NSN numbered Berry compliant for those concerned with such things. 18  X-Ray

I know that isn't what you asked for, but if you are looking for a solid user, they are hard to beat.
View Quote

The Microtech HALO series lockup as solid as a sheath knife.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, whatever you say.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LOL, whatever you say.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, whatever you say.

Uh, I have several of them. There isn't even the slightest bit of wiggle or play in them when they are open.
The HALO series works a whole lot differently than the newer ones that can be opened & closed with the button. You should look at one in person sometime.

HALO lockup
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Uh, I have several of them. There isn't even the slightest bit of wiggle or play in them when they are open.
The HALO series works a whole lot differently than the newer ones that can be opened & closed with the button. You should look at one in person sometime.

HALO lockup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, whatever you say.

HALO lockup

Well that does it, I will completely disregard personal experience and go with yours on this

They are the best of the OTF's, they are the tightest of the OTF's, they are the most expensive of the OTF's,

If the OP has $500 to drop on one and he wants an OTF and he wants a single action he should absolutely buy one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well that does it, I will completely disregard personal experience and go with yours on this

They are the best of the OTF's, they are the tightest of the OTF's, they are the most expensive of the OTF's,

If the OP has $500 to drop on one and he wants an OTF and he wants a single action he should absolutely buy one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, whatever you say.

HALO lockup

I don't know anyone with "personal experience" with them that says any different than I do about them. Except yourself, of course.
I wasn't telling him to buy one, I just addressed your statement about all OTFs locking up poorly & provided an example of an OTF knife design that locks up extremely well when it's open.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The infidel is cool, but aside from defensive use, I really feel better suited carrying something else. It's certainly seems like a high quality knife and the action doesn't make me worry about an accidental deployment.  Mostly it has sat in the safe and I'll carry an auto Stryker or something for daily use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Fun but a little gimmicky.

Microtechs are the best. Most people consider their older stuff higher quality.

HALOs are really amazing the newer ones are a little big and the single action is not practical for everyday use.

If you must have an OTF get a MT ultratech.

Any auto will bring unwanted attention from the sheeple.

I have many autos, assisted openers, customs etc.

I have many, many options for EDC but usually you will find a Sebenza in my pocket.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer the Emerson wave feature for a knife for my purposes ( I have both Emerson's and Spydercos with it)

That said I wanted an OTF last year and couldn't find a Microtech ( the best) in stock and priced right.

I picked up a Paragon Knives OTF and it's actually nice. Not the quality of Microtech but for $120 or so it satisfied my craving
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#13]
More than happy with my cheap Lightning OTF (Microteck knock off). You should buy one of these, cheap enough to see if you like OTFs in general.

Go see Nutnfancy's review on YouTube.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I've only played with Microtechs but I'm very satisfied with my Benchmade Infidel and HK Tumult
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

More than happy with my cheap Lightning OTF (Microteck knock off). You should buy one of these, cheap enough to see if you like OTFs in general.

Go see Nutnfancy's review on YouTube.
View Quote
+1  It scratched my itch.  Fun to play with, and more than good enough for that purpose.  If you fall in love with the concept, then spring for the MT.  I didn't feel the need.  

FWIW, while not OTF, I think the Boker Kalashnikov autos are stupid good for the price.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have a Microtech and an Infidel.  I like my Infidel, it actually works and has always been fairly easy to deploy.  The Microtech from the beginning was very stiff to use and now is almost impossible to deploy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a Microtech and an Infidel.  I like my Infidel, it actually works and has always been fairly easy to deploy.  The Microtech from the beginning was very stiff to use and now is almost impossible to deploy.

I have an Ultratech and you do need to use man hands on it but, it made it through a year in Iraq without a hitch.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have an Ultratech and you do need to use man hands on it but, it made it through a year in Iraq without a hitch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is so tight now, that I can place the deployment button against the corner of my bench and pull the knife down - instead of the blade deploying it will rip the edge of my bench.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#18]
microtech for the win, benchmade is nice but their infidel is not as sleek and more expensive, ultratech was 225 at bladehq. locks up good for me, and no chance it ever going off accidentally . i dont like the HK benchmades, they use a lesser steel in the HK models and charge about the same prices.. not worth it in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:21:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I have two Microtech OTFs.  A Scarab and a standard Troodon.

There is absolutely no way they will ever go off in your pocket.  You are required to add activation energy to the system via the button in order for them to fire.  Basically think of it like a double-action only revolver with the hammer down.  There is no way you are going to accidentally push the button forward hard enough accidentally to set it off.

After playing with a handful of the Microtech OTF, my personal preference is for the Scarab.  The combat troodon is a bit to big, the regular troodon is a little small, the ultratech a bit narrow, and the scarab just right.  The Halo is a single action model which requires manual recocking and is huge....   The Scarab is also the only Microtech with a dual firing OTF spring arrangement and it fires with some pretty good authority.  

You can see the size difference in the chart below.

My main EDC knives are the Microtech Scarab OTF and a Microtech SelectFire Dual Action model if I want a side folder.   (The standard troodon is nice is you want a pocket knife to disappear into your pocket.)

I have no qualms about carrying a Microtech OTF and both the scarab and the troodon have been great knives.  I am probably going to pick up another Scarab with a tanto stonewashed blade sometime in the future.

My personal scarab below.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to give another nod to the Microtech OTF. I have been carrying a Microtech Scarab double edge knife for about 10 years. It's a great quality knife and the mechanism is as strong as it was when I first bought it. The only part loosening up is the carry clip. It is a little loose now after carrying it all this time. I don't use this as a utility knife, I carry a second Microtech folder for everyday cutting. The reason I got the OTF is because of a news story I read about an elderly couple that had a single car accident and the car caught on fire. The wife was extricated from the burning vehicle, but, the males seatbelt jammed and he burned alive in the car. I thought if I was in that situation I would want a very sharp knife and the Microtech is just that. I also thought, what if I'm alone and my hand or arm is injured? That's why I decided to carry an OTF which only required the push of the release lever. Easier and faster than a folder.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a OTF, but I Have a Protech DORU Allen Elishewitz Design Auto Knife. Opens so strong be carefull it will jump out of your hand.  

Love it.

I also have a H&K Tumult OTF. It's OK

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top