Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 1:18:33 PM EDT
My 14 y/o  wants take after her Dad a have an edc pocket knife.  She is a High school freshman this year (can't carry at school!) and feeling all grown' and responsible.  I am trying to teach her the concept of 'Buy once, cry once'.  She wants a pocket clip type fold out.  Her main requirement is that has pink camo or the like.  Did I mention she's 14 y/o?  So I'm looking for a good quality knife that can keep an edge, wont break like a school back pack, and doesn't cost more than $80.-100. bucks (less $$ the better)  It'll be 40/60 her 'savings 'and Dads. What brands and models does the hive recommend?

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Benchmade 556 Mini Griptilian
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty cool she's into knives. Your options might be limited if pink camo is a requirement though.

I'd suggest:

Kershaw Leek *Assisted opening*
$43.95,  3.0" blade length,  Liner Lock and comes in pink among other colors.

Spyderco delica
$59.95, 2.5" blade length, lock back and comes in pink among other colors.

Benchmade Mini Griptilian
$89.25,  2.91" blade length axis lock and comes in pink among other colors.

Pretty good range of knives, price, steel and lock wise from trusted manufactures. I happen to own all three.
All will get the nod from the boys. (if they know anything about good knives that is)

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe get her a Swiss Army before a "fighter"?
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to suggest a LEEK like above, I think it's about perfect for your needs.
Light, thin, pink.  And I like the speedsafe assisted opening.

Personally though, I wish Kershaw would redesign their clips to let it ride deeper in the pocket and not stick up quite as much.
It's the same on many of their knives.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  These look perfect.  I bet she picks one tonight.    I will run them past the 'Judge' tonight when she gets back from her friends house.  I think she will go with the Spyderco or the Benchmade.  But as soon as I think I know what they like, they go and change on me!  Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.
Oh - and she does have a (real) little swiss army knife that she clips to her backpack when allowable.  Still has the toothpick in it!  She wants a 'real knife' like mine, she says. She sees me using it all the time and wants her own.  She best not be doin 'too' much fightin' wit it!  Shes been responsible so far, as well as her 2 older sisters...sooo.... fingers crossed.

I'll be sure to send out a AAR when she decides.

ETA-I like the Leek, but she might poke some ones eye out!

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Kershaw Scallion, almost the same as the Leek but smaller. I still edc one in my waistband and whip it out for all my small cutting needs. You can get the rainbow one from kershawguy.com for $30. My wife carries a purple one and feels plenty comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Benchmade Pink Mini Griptiliian.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Benchmade mini grip.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 Benchmade Pink Mini Griptiliian.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, she made her decision. There was a bit of back and forth but she decided on the

Benchmade Mini Griptilian AXIS Lock Knife (2.91" Satin) 556-PNK

She seems to really like it, enough to put up some of her allowance $$, Thanks again for the great advice and suggestions. Arfcom FTW!

Cruising this forum makes me want to spend some $$ I don't have.  There are some nice blades being made out there. A lot of talent on this forum.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice choice! I guarantee it's the first of many more to come. It's a sickness.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it is totally cool that you daughter wants a knife and I hope the Mini Grip works great for her.

One other option not mentioned in this thread is the Rat 2, which is also available in pink.  A truly excellent knife in the under $30 range.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
At a $20 or less price point there is the KA-Bar Bob Dozier hunter and Lite, etc.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I got my daughter a Spyderco Tenacious but I'm afraid it is a bit to big for her to carry. I may get her the dozier in pink to replace it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my girl her first one this year at 13, and my sons this year at 11.

They basically use them to make sticks pointy to kill zombies.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]
How about an Opinel or SAK? Seems like a better first knife than a locking folder.

The Vic Spartan, Opinel No. 6 or Case Sodbuster Jr. would all be solid choices.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about an Opinel or SAK? Seems like a better first knife than a locking folder.

View Quote

Why would any of those be better than a Benchmade Axis knife? They are cheaper but that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got my girl her first one this year at 12, and my sons this year at 11.

TXL
View Quote

Speaking of zombies... my 12 y.o. daughter was given one of these cheap knives and promptly named it "Zombie". She temporarily misplaced it for a month or so. I assumed this would happen, so I started her on a cheap one:
MTech in pink

Now, she wants throwing knives. I'm going to refrain from discussing what my son wants. But, it does make me want to get into knife making.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Speaking of zombies... my 12 y.o. daughter was given one of these cheap knives and promptly named it "Zombie". She temporarily misplaced it for a month or so. I assumed this would happen, so I started her on a cheap one:
MTech in pink

Now, she wants throwing knives. I'm going to refrain from discussing what my son wants. But, it does make me want to get into knife making.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my girl her first one this year at 12, and my sons this year at 11.

TXL

MTech in pink

I pointed out the boot knives at Academy last week. Now, she wants one of those. She doesn't wear her boots to school and always has to consider whether she has "Zombie" in her purse before going onto campus.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#21]
spyderco of a length you like.  FRN.  

Rat-2

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I was going to recommend a vintage Imperial "Kamp-King", but a little late.
My first knife was a Imperial Jack Knife that was about 25-35 years old when I got it... LOL!
Mark
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why would any of those be better than a Benchmade Axis knife? They are cheaper but that's about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wouldn't they'd be a big step down.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#24]
kershaw cryo and now the cryo 2 are actually sweet little knives
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

to be fair, it takes a bit of experience to appreciate them though.  they aren't nearly as sexy as a benchmade.  sure, those are great knives, good steel (in the opinel's case) or uesful (SAK), or (not sure what the deal with case is, probably good steel, never had one).....but they aren't appealing to someone who isn't experienced with knives like a benchmade folder is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

to be fair, it takes a bit of experience to appreciate them though.  they aren't nearly as sexy as a benchmade.  sure, those are great knives, good steel (in the opinel's case) or uesful (SAK), or (not sure what the deal with case is, probably good steel, never had one).....but they aren't appealing to someone who isn't experienced with knives like a benchmade folder is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started on BSA knives, SAKs and that type of knife mostly as there wasn't anything better. Cheap utility knives, some gussied up a bit.

Nowadays there are better options. Knife safety can be taught just the same without the drawback of the blade closing on your hand or having to touch up the blade often

I'm thinking about a Benchmade Megumi for my son's first folder. He rocks an Izula when we go fishing
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#27]
 Got my girl one for her 13th bday.

Nice Gerber dime.

$20.  

Cost me 150 at er copy after she sliced her finger

Oh well.

Txl
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top