Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/11/2014 11:11:50 PM EDT
Why would anyone want what basically amounts to a small axe with limited use as a melee weapon?

Why not, I say?

Now, onward to the "best" tomahawk...

I would think that one would want the benefit of a full tang. If I'm hacking something to death, I don't want that axe head coming apart from the body. Am I wrong here?

I see offerings by Benchmade, SOG, Cold Steel, CRKT, Emerson, Browning, Smith & Wesson, etc. all of them use different steel with prices that range from less than $100 to over $300. I'm sure a lot of that cost is just as much the materials and construction as it is the name and the warranty it carries.

Zero Tolerance and Kershaw are releasing their offerings soon.

Who has one? What kind of use has it seen? Do you still have it? Did you sell it? What did you like and not like about it?

Realistically, it would probably see limited use in a camping context, but I would like it to stand up as a solid fighting tool if it ever came to that. Do I need to spend $400 on a tomahawk just to get that kind of guarantee?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The word Tomahawk was named after my great great great grandfather.

No joke, his name was Tom a Blacksmith that made "hatchets" for Indians. The Indian word for a cutting tool was hawk... Tom Hawk.

Just an interesting fact I learned the other day.

The only reason I would want a tomahawk without a full tang is that you can always replace the handle. Once a full tang breaks it's kinda hard to fix.

I have a few of the Cold Steel hatchets, with the hammer face.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Look at the Eastwing offerings. They have been making hammers and hatchets for a long damn time. Great quality.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I held an RMJ Shrike at blade show and it was awesome. I held a few others  but can't remember who made them. I ended up getting a Cold Steel trail hawk to play with and modify while I think about having a custom hawk forged.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is one I made just for fun...

The haft is three layers of .25" G10 with a .25" thick head and skull crusher pommel.  It is a really fast swing.  More of a combat Hawk than a camp ax.  It is based on a Viking ax.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My shrike

It went overseas with me right after I got it last fall. While it never saw combat, it did get the joys of breaking apart pallets and opening crates for.months on end, then being chucked at boards during down time. Held up just fine. People are not as hard to kill as some may think. If it'll split a wooden crate open, it'll split a skull.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a few synthetic  and wood handled hawks but I'd really like an all steel model.

The RMJs are very nice but I don't really want to wait 8 months and pay $500 for a toy I'm going to use to beat on shit.

The Estwings seem very solid and the price is attractive but I hate the design. Both the bit and the spike seem to be designed to get stuck in things.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Benchmade Killian....great tomahawk...I want an RMJ, but for now I'll stick with the Benchmade for less than half the cost.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife has a Sog, it's not bad for the price point and has held up just fine considering that the only thing she does with it is throw it at trees to try and get it to stick in one, most of the time unsuccessfully.

I have an Estwing, it's seen limited firewood duty but it's build just as solid as their regular axes are.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I make and own a bunch of them. They are a great force multiplier for fighting and have other utilitarian uses. They are very different from a hatchet though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife has a Sog, it's not bad for the price point and has held up just fine considering that the only thing she does with it is throw it at trees to try and get it to stick in one, most of the time unsuccessfully.

I have an Estwing, it's seen limited firewood duty but it's build just as solid as their regular axes are.
View Quote

So far, this is my exact experience as well. I haven't breached any doors or hacked any cars, but for the price and size, I take it with me anytime I go out doors.

That doesn't mean I don't have my eyes on others. The CRKT Kangee is next on my list though
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
While I don't think there's some hard and fast rule on it, I subscribe to the line of thought that tomahawks don't have tangs or heads that are wedged in place. Anything that doesn't have a removable head, held onto a straight haft by friction is an axe or a hatchet in my book.

Pedantry aside, I'm interested ITT as I've also fancied the notion of a snazzy chopping implement for fighting, bushcraft and fun (not necessarily in that order).

Do want.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]
My father carried a tomahawk in the Korean War.  He had at least two confirmed kills in hand to hand combat with it.  It was lost when he was medically evacuated due to wounds.  I wish I had a picture of it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The word Tomahawk was named after my great great great grandfather.

No joke, his name was Tom a Blacksmith that made "hatchets" for Indians. The Indian word for a cutting tool was hawk... Tom Hawk.

Just an interesting fact I learned the other day.

The only reason I would want a tomahawk without a full tang is that you can always replace the handle. Once a full tang breaks it's kinda hard to fix.

I have a few of the Cold Steel hatchets, with the hammer face.
View Quote
You should look instead at the etymology of the word and then maybe go on the warpath with family.  It is said the word entered the English language in the 1600's.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#14]
When my Lotto numbers come in I'd love to have a Winkler Hawk.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Swamp Rat Rattle Hawk

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine has came in handy quite a bit.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I am in love with the new CRKT / Ryan Johnson collaborations. ( RMJ Tactical )
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#19]

I lol'd at that. The Gerber hawk is on my list of wanted gear.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Look at the Eastwing offerings. They have been making hammers and hatchets for a long damn time. Great quality.
View Quote

Very high quality, that does not offend the wallet
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Very cool looking suggestions, guys. I was advised by a member via IM that in Texas the tomahawk is considered a club and should not be carried on my person. In Texas, that would apply to non-CHL holders, but I have a CHL. I, technically, should be able to carry a Tomahawk on my person if I'm back country camping/hiking as long as I am also carrying a handgun with a valid license. It's one of those things where I probably should do as little as possible to invite the man in my life which means not waving it around a bunch of kids at a family campground after a day of drinking repeating lines from "Conan the Destroyer."

I decided to order an ESEE 5 - for light camping/hiking activities - in the interim until I decide which specimen of Tomahawk awesomeness I want to put my money toward.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#22]
A couple from RMJ, Shrike and Talon.  

Also, Zombie tools Deuce II and Zombie Tools Traumahawk

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Guild Knives & Tools has some pretty good ones that aren't too expensive.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

[RMJ Loggerhead]

View Quote

Damn I wish they'd offer that one with just the face of the blade sharpened.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[RMJ Loggerhead]

It doesn't hurt to ask them they are very responsive to requests.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

[email protected]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[RMJ Loggerhead]

[email protected]

I just did, thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/bullf-16/safe_zps94999176.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/bullf-16/ZT_zps02cba9b3.jpg

View Quote

How are those held on to your safe?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I rub them on my hair and the static makes them stick

I use big neodymium magnets, i think they are 1" x 3/4" x 1/4".  From amazon.  The folders are held with much smaller neodymium magnets.  Cheap
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am in love with the new CRKT / Ryan Johnson collaborations. ( RMJ Tactical )
View Quote

Yeap Im liking those as well.So far seem to be excellent quality.Just got a Kangee and Im waiting for the Chogan to come in.
Im also a big fan of the Cold Steel Pipe and Rifleman hawks.Absolute working beasts, especially for how little they cost.
The only "tactical" type hawk I have is the CS Trench Hawk and its a fine piece as well....that said I much prefer the wood haft traditional type pole hawks from a functional standpoint.I use them for bushcraft,hunting and the like.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
I was just about to post this.

Eastwing has some inexpensive ones that seem to mirror the SOG Fast-Hawk.  I own a SOG and my first impression was the Eastwing was better made.  About the same price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree completely.Ive had the Estwing Sportsman and Campers axes for many years and they have shown to be tough as an anvil.
I plan on picking up one of the Estwing Tomahawk axes with the leather stack handles real soon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I use big neodymium magnets, i think they are 1" x 3/4" x 1/4".  From amazon.  The folders are held with much smaller neodymium magnets.  Cheap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seven day wait and no open carry on those right?

That's a really good idea for those finger pinching bastages.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]
American Tomahawks suck.  I had one, and the bolt that holds the head on broke, and the head came off.  Junk.  Go for the RMJ Tactical if you are gonna go tomahawk.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
American Tomahawks suck.  I had one, and the bolt that holds the head on broke, and the head came off.  Junk.  Go for the RMJ Tactical if you are gonna go tomahawk.
View Quote

Are you talking about the Cold Steel tomahawks that have a "American Tomahawk Co." sticker on them?

If so,then that "bolt" is simply a 5/16" long,approx., set screw.The set screws are used,as far as I understand it, to prevent the bit(blade) from dropping down the haft(handle) if knocked loose from a bad throw etc....preventing an unsuspecting newbie from getting mashed/cut/pinched hand/fingers in the process.....

The Cold Steel tomahawks are a traditional friction fit bit on a taper fit haft(eye,or hole, in the bit is tapered to match ),thus the further up the bit goes toward the flared head of the haft the tighter it gets,similar to say how a pick mattock is made.That is unless the tapered haft is poorly fit/undersized or damaged to the point that the bit can fly off the head of the haft,if so thats dangerous and defective and it needs a new haft.Same as any original design tomahawk with a wood haft.

As a note,the CRKT RMJ Woods series Chogan and Kangee tomahawks are the same traditional design and use Tennessee hickory tapered tomahawk hafts....which Ive bought locally for years to use on my forged wrap and welds and Cold Steel Hawks as replacements.

Lots of videos available that describe/show all the details I mentioned in regards to the traditional wood haft hawks,including the CRKT RMJ hawks,and the Cold Steel hawks(and the set screw detail).
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:15:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had an RMJ Shrike for several years...my favorite.

Purchased a CRKT Kangee a while back and like it a lot (makes sense...designed by Ryan Johnson of RMJ).

I wanted a small hawk to fasten to my Kifaru Scout pack...for "emergency use". Considering the price (about $50 on sale), I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Browning Shock'n'Awe "mini" hawk. It IS small:10 1/2" length, 2 3/4" blade (think belt axe with an attitude) and a little over a pound in weight. The epoxied cord wrap on the handle has got to go though...someday gonna get around to re-wrapping it with some camo 550.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Eastwing has some inexpensive ones that seem to mirror the SOG Fast-Hawk.  I own a SOG and my first impression was the Eastwing was better made.  About the same price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Estwing
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I think you really limit yourself with the tanged fantasy hawks. If you are not out slaying your foes every day you are better served with something a bit more utilitarian in nature.

I've gotten a lot of utility out of the Cold Steel Trailhawk.....But not in it's factory form.

I shortened the handle by 5", sanded, then sealed with BLO.

I friction fitted the handle and eliminated the set screw function and just shortened the screw to use to plug the hole. IMHO to leave it fixed takes away from it's potential utility in the field.

I removed the funky black paint, contoured the socket edges, and rust blued the head. When I got it the way I wanted I warmed it up and coated it with BLO, let it dry, carded it with 0000 steel wool, warmed it up again and coated it with motor oil to cure-out. The BLO seals the pores you expose when you get shed of the paint. A old gunsmith trick.

Here is a "how-to" thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_18/674117_A_few_basic_steps_and_how_to_modify_or_rehab_a_Cold_Steel_Hawk__Trail_Hawk_.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#39]
For the money, this is a great buy...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I have this one….why?  beats me….zombie fantasy I guess

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jerrybusse/RattleHawkZombie1_zps39b4c5cb.jpg
View Quote

"It better to have..." Who made that one?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#42]
The gg&g battle hawk looks like it'd be a good one. Anyone ever used it?

It's about $225 but discontinued by gg&g and out of stock everywhere I look.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#43]

This is what I have. Handy little bastage
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jerrybusse/RattleHawkZombie1_zps39b4c5cb.jpg

Swamp Rat knife works,,,
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I own a Winkler R&D with the maple tribal handles and it is badass!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a Shrike, Shrike 13, Jenny Wren, and this one from Daniel Winkler.  

http://www.winklerknives.com/knives.asp?id=188

The rubber handles on the Winklers are sweet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Ive got the RMJ Jenny Wren as my woods hawk, the Shrike S-13 as my work hawk, and a Cold steel trailhawk that stays in my truckbox but really isnt used
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#48]
SOG on the left, and an Ontario on the right.  The Ontario gets more practical use.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:13:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Estwing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Estwing

They actually sell these at Academy. I just looked at one there the other day. Considering it for $45.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been thinking of getting one of these and attempting to regrind it.  I'd keep the hammer though, I think I'd get more use out of it instead of a spike.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top