Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/26/2014 1:10:26 PM EDT
little artsy drop point from O-1 tool steel.  wanted it to look similar to knapped flint.  flat grind with acid etched finish.

TPS

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I REALLY like that blade. Looks great. What are the dimensions?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks, it is 7.5" overall and just under 3/16" thick at the spine.  blade length is 3.5".  good EDC size.

TPS
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I like that a lot! Nice job!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#5]
made a big brother for this one.  they are headed out monday to their new home.

TPS

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
As a amateur, just-getting-started knife maker, myself....how do you do the etched finish? I am afraid I had REALLy good instruction and help on my first blade. The second and third I have done on my own turned out, well, pretty freaking horrible. I am learning this stuff on my own as I go and just love your work, OP. I'd like to try your design myself, if you would have no objections.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
i don't mind at all.  we all get inspiration from what others have done.  the etch on these was a little in-depth.  the blade angle etching was done with bleach and cold blue.  then after everything was finished, i etched the entire thing in white vinegar for a couple of hours to get the overall grey finish.  the bleach etch is tricky, you have to be careful and watch it closely.  it can ruin steel in a hurry.  you can google the bleach etch for detailed, step by step.  i use it quite a bit to get a weathered, aged appearance.  it is amazing what common chemicals can achieve.

TPS
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a real big knife fan, but these are really something different. Beautiful work.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i don't mind at all.  we all get inspiration from what others have done.  the etch on these was a little in-depth.  the blade angle etching was done with bleach and cold blue.  then after everything was finished, i etched the entire thing in white vinegar for a couple of hours to get the overall grey finish.  the bleach etch is tricky, you have to be careful and watch it closely.  it can ruin steel in a hurry.  you can google the bleach etch for detailed, step by step.  i use it quite a bit to get a weathered, aged appearance.  it is amazing what common chemicals can achieve.

TPS
View Quote

Thanks! I may pm you for some tips once I get my shop/garage set up just right this fall!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top