Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 11:58:50 AM EDT
So I have this knife I bought at a gun/knife show several years ago.  

I'm trying to find out if anyone else has seen any of these, if it's that collectible, what the value might be, and anything other information on these knives.  

I was told my a dealer, about six, seven years ago maybe?..., that these were part of a run of knives that Boeing had asked Surefire to make as emergency egress tools for helicopter pilots/crew.  It was designed as a tool to cut webbing, straps, but most importantly so I was told anyway, to make a hole in the aluminum skin of a helicopter body in case of a crash, to allow pilot and crew to escape the fuselage.  I was also told that @60+ were made, I can't remember but something like 64?  And that they were numbered, that Boeing never picked them up, and that they were released for sale to Surefire dealers and their customers.  This one was number 004, and I snapped it up.  Echos were going for $300.00 plus at the time, I've been out of the market, collecting due to health issues, but I've been going through some of my stuff and I'd forgotten about this item.  

Any help in any other knowledge, what it's worth, etc.  I'd appreciate, thank you ahead of time. Pics are below, I really like this one a lot.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't sound like Boeing. No one would ever use a knife for egress, crash axe maybe. Having worked there for 11 plus years, I know their feelings on knives very well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The A-10 has a tool that's attached to the inside rail of the canopy that's basically a knife with a 2" or so blade. It's sole purpose...to chop a hole in the canopy if you couldn't get out by any other means.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't offer any help but I doubt that knife would have been designed to cut a hole in a helicopter.  The blade style and tip is completely wrong for stabbing
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#4]
This might help. Picture is no longer there but it was the same knife you have.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah man, that's got to be it.  Mine is a chisel grind as well, and if I wanted something to cut through aluminum that's the grind I'd put on it.  

Not sure why they'd number them if not for T&E.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah man, that's got to be it.  Mine is a chisel grind as well, and if I wanted something to cut through aluminum that's the grind I'd put on it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is the pic he posted, google images still has it

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty sweet looking knife
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top