Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/15/2014 10:39:29 AM EDT
My fiancee's mother recently passed away, and while going through her things, the fiancee found an old two blade Barlow knife.  It has a bit of rust on both blades and on the inside of the knife (see pics).  I'd like to get it back into better shape.  What would be the best way to clean it up?  I had considered using some light oil and fine steel wool to try to get the rust off the blades, but am certainly open to other ideas.

Also, would regular 3-in-1 oil be the best bet to get the knife to open more easily, or is there a much better solution?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice knife!  Soak it in mineral oil for a couple of days.  Take it out and wipe and drain the excess oil off.  Place it in the open position on some paper towels in the sunlight for a couple of days.  The oil will soak into all the small cracks.  Then use fine steel wool on the blades.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 3:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I will give that a try.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Google "rust eraser"
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not in bad shape, I have seen worse, Flitz and a linen polishing wheel.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top