Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/21/2014 3:40:43 PM EDT
I have had this knife for only 3 days and it is already having problems. I probably opened and closed it about 200 times now just for fun. Well now it does not fulling eject the blade out. I would say 1 out if evey 5 deployments don't lock up. I have tried just about evey thump position I can think of but it does not help. If I send it back and exchange it will I have the same problem with the next knife? I really don't want to spend this kind of money on a knife that sometimes works.

Update. Well I just got the new one in. It definitely has a more firm click when activating it then the last one did. spring feels much stronger too. I hope this one does not have problems But I guess time will tell. BladeHQ turn around time from sending it back in to receiving it was 5 business days. not too bad at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had that problem with mine in the desert. Put a few drops of lube at the base of the blade. If you send it back they will take care of you also.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact their service department. You'll be taken care of.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had mine for longer than 5 years EDC, not one problem

I am sure Benchmade will fix it
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought it from bladehq.com plus benchmade will not let you send it to them. You have to send it to them though who you bought it from.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Blow it out with an air compressor and get some oil in there before you box it up.  Don't cost nuthin'
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Blow it out with an air compressor and get some oil in there before you box it up.  Don't cost nuthin'
View Quote

I have only carried it for two days. I don't think that's enough time for crap to get in there :(
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have only carried it for two days. I don't think that's enough time for crap to get in there :(
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes "stuff" from the manufacturing process is the problem with brand new knives. I'd lube it up real good and blow it out as suggested.

If that doesn't work. Call BladeHQ. They may replace it or they can send it in for you.

Both BladeHQ and Benchmade have top notch customer service. I'm 100% sure you'll be happy even if you can't fix it on your own.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
When it doesn't fully eject you can grab the tip of the blade and pull it to it's locked position.  Sounds like maybe something's jumping over and not locking as it should.  I wish I could be more helpful but I've never had mine apart.  I would do as others have suggested and blow it out really good with compressed air, lube good, and repeat several times.  If you're still having issues I would send it back to let them fix it.

I didn't know you couldn't send them directly to Benchmade.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure you can send in knives to Benchmade. I know you can send a blade in for a replacement blade for $25-$35 so I would assume there wouldn't be a problem sending one in for repair.

Also, I know it's tempting to sit on the couch and open and close the knife a bunch "for fun" but any moving mechanical parts do wear down over time. I'm not suggesting that you wore them down, as it definitely should be that worn after 200 times, but if you were to do that over and over and over it would wear it down bad. I mean if you consider that normal use, for someone isn't cutting stuff all the time for work, is maybe opening it once a day. That's 200 days of use. It adds up quick. That's why I'm not a fan of auto knives that won't function right if the mechanism fails. Hell, the way most knives are made you can deploy them just as fast, if not faster(wave feature), than autos.

Again, not saying that you wore the mechanism down. There is no reason it shouldn't be working with that small amount of use. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure you can send in knives to Benchmade. I know you can send a blade in for a replacement blade for $25-$35 so I would assume there wouldn't be a problem sending one in for repair.

Also, I know it's tempting to sit on the couch and open and close the knife a bunch "for fun" but any moving mechanical parts do wear down over time. I'm not suggesting that you wore them down, as it definitely should be that worn after 200 times, but if you were to do that over and over and over it would wear it down bad. I mean if you consider that normal use, for someone isn't cutting stuff all the time for work, is maybe opening it once a day. That's 200 days of use. It adds up quick. That's why I'm not a fan of auto knives that won't function right if the mechanism fails. Hell, the way most knives are made you can deploy them just as fast, if not faster(wave feature), than autos.

Again, not saying that you wore the mechanism down. There is no reason it shouldn't be working with that small amount of use. Just food for thought.
View Quote

Benchmade says right on their website and manuals not to send autos in. You can others but not autos.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Nobody wants to fix autos sent to them because states like Ohio, New York, California all have crazy stupid laws about knives. The manufacturers don't want to deal with it, Where you bought it from is fine. Even though I am in Florida, where blades like this are common place, I had to send AND RECEIVE my microtech ultratech from a secondary source.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Contact their service department. You'll be taken care of.
View Quote

They have excellent CS
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When it doesn't fully eject you can grab the tip of the blade and pull it to it's locked position.  Sounds like maybe something's jumping over and not locking as it should.  I wish I could be more helpful but I've never had mine apart.  I would do as others have suggested and blow it out really good with compressed air, lube good, and repeat several times.  If you're still having issues I would send it back to let them fix it.

I didn't know you couldn't send them directly to Benchmade.
View Quote

Yes, it's a federal felony to mail automatic knives across state lines (with some narrow exceptions).
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I sent it back to blade hq. So we will see how long it takes to get a new one and see if it has the same problems. Maybe I should get a back one, od ones might be bad?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bought it from bladehq.com plus benchmade will not let you send it to them. You have to send it to them though who you bought it from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's untrue
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's untrue
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's untrue

It says it right in the manual
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's untrue

mine doesn't.  I sent my Benchmade auto directly to them for sharpening and service.  Not more than a month ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

mine doesn't.  I sent my Benchmade auto directly to them for sharpening and service.  Not more than a month ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's untrue

You can send it direct to them, they just won't send it back.

EDIT: From Benchmade FAQ
"Q. How do I, as a private citizen purchase an Automatic knife from Benchmade®? I don't agree with Benchmade's Automatic knife policy and repair policy.
A. Benchmade Knife Company, Inc. follows guidelines outlined in the Federal Codes, which prohibit us to ship Automatic knife(s) to anyone other than Public Safety/Military. To comply, you have the option of registering with this website as the "Public Safety/Military" web account type, and digitally sign the Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgment Form. We do not make any exceptions to this Law, which is not applicable to Oregon Residents at this time."

Link
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]

You can send it direct to them, they just won't send it back.
View Quote

I got mine back.  I wish you guys would quit spreading these myths.  Go online.  Print the form from Benchmade.  All it does is cover their ass.  In that form you will sign claiming military or police affiliation.  You put that form in the box with the knife and ship it to them.  It's that simple.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]

"Q. How do I, as a private citizen purchase an Automatic knife from Benchmade®? I don't agree with Benchmade's Automatic knife policy and repair policy.
A. Benchmade Knife Company, Inc. follows guidelines outlined in the Federal Codes, which prohibit us to ship Automatic knife(s) to anyone other than Public Safety/Military. To comply, you have the option of registering with this website as the "Public Safety/Military" web account type, and digitally sign the Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgment Form. We do not make any exceptions to this Law, which is not applicable to Oregon Residents at this time."

Link
View Quote

See that part in blue??  That's what I did.  Had mine sent in, fixed, customized with my name and back in less than a month.  Not more than a month ago.  If you choose to not believe it that's up to you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

See that part in blue??  That's what I did.  Had mine sent in, fixed, customized with my name and back in less than a month.  Not more than a month ago.  If you choose to not believe it that's up to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link

O/P is not military/public safety.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Neither am I.  They don't check.  They are just covering their ass.  That's why you sign it.  It's on you.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Neither am I.  They don't check.  They are just covering their ass.  That's why you sign it.  It's on you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

isint that falsifying and illegal to say you are mil or LEO?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Isn't it illegal for you to have and OTF auto??  
ETA:
Bottom line is I'm glad you have your solution.  BladeHQ has always been good for me.  But if you aren't LEO or active MIL, and you are carrying that knife then you are already in a grey area.  
ETA #2:
Some more food for thought, and I actually don't have a good answer myself....What if I bought mine when I was MIL, and now it needs service and I'm no longer MIL?  Do I turn my knife in?  Junk it?  What do you do then?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ETA:
Bottom line is I'm glad you have your solution.  BladeHQ has always been good for me.  But if you aren't LEO or active MIL, and you are carrying that knife then you are already in a grey area.  
ETA #2:
Some more food for thought, and I actually don't have a good answer myself....What if I bought mine when I was MIL, and now it needs service and I'm no longer MIL?  Do I turn my knife in?  Junk it?  What do you do then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

ETA:
ETA #2:

Nope My state is very clear about Autos and OTF. They are perfectly clear to carry open or concealed. Dont even need my CCW for it. Hell they sell Benchmade Infidels at my local Sportsman warehouse.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Nope My state is very clear about Autos and OTF. They are perfectly clear to carry open or concealed. Dont even need my CCW for it. Hell they sell Benchmade Infidels at my local Sportsman warehouse.
View Quote

That's great.  Maybe you should check federal law.  Which law are you going to use?  I mean you want to be legal right?  
Look, I personally think all knife laws are stupid.  But I don't suggest anyone break them.  That is up to you or anyone else.  Simply saying you can indeed send your knife to Benchmade.  

But federal law does indeed say otherwise.  Bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse too by the way.

ETA:  Just re-read some fed law.  I am wrong.  It's all worded sneakily and I'm not a law professional.  I think they intended it that way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's great.  Maybe you should check federal law.  Which law are you going to use?  I mean you want to be legal right?  
Look, I personally think all knife laws are stupid.  But I don't suggest anyone break them.  That is up to you or anyone else.  Simply saying you can indeed send your knife to Benchmade.  

But federal law does indeed say otherwise.  Bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse too by the way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am thinking I should of done the same. If I did that All I would have to do is walk in there and say it does not work within the 30 day return period. But I wanted the OD version and now I had to send it off. Hope I get a new one with out problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually, I have the black one myself.  And when you posted your's with the OD and black blade I was thinking I should have ordered mine.  That thing is sick!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's untrue

Pics of manual?
I work for a tactical gear company and we are a benchmade dealer.

Also I am mil, so if you didn't get it sorted out shoot me a pm and I'll help you get square.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn OP....you cannot beat that outcome.  You would have waited much longer if it was sent in to Benchmade, although I'm sure they would have taken care of you.
Kudos to BladeHQ.  I know you are much happier.  Sucks when you buy a premium product with a premium price, only to have it do like your first one.  Good for you!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Did you get another OD one or black?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

they sent me an od one back. Has there been problems with the od ones?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure there's no difference other than the color of the scales.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top