Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 5:17:53 PM EDT
I am new to hawks and this is my first on. I love the weight but I need some advice.
I just got this in the mail. so there is not much meat above the blade and it has some wobble. I removed the set screw and I am in the process of removing the crude shavings above the head.

so what do i need to do the hawk. do i need to add a sleeve at full choke to keep the head tight along with the friction fit. or anything like that would be nice to know the possibilitys.

" />
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a dremel and clean up the inside of the head really well, then sand the handle, check the fit as you go, once you get it to where there is no gap slide the head on.  , then take a rubber mallet and give the little bit of handle sticking out the top a few good whacks (hold the hawk parallel to the ground while you do this) and it will wedge itself down tight then put the screw back in.  Give the handle a good coat of boiled linseed oil and it will keep it from drying up and shrinking just my .02

check this link out for lots of tips
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Unscrew the set screw and throw it away! I like to strip the head and deburr the eye. Then I refinish the haft in linseed oil or stain. Sometimes I treat the head to a coat of paint. Although this steel takes cold blue very well.

Here's one I did for a friend.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top