Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2014 6:50:04 PM EDT
On the left: Windlass Steelcrafts European Sword. Seems to be an Oakeshott Type Xa.
On the right: Windlass Steelcrafts Oakeshott Type XIV Medieval Arming Sword.

On the left: Tsurugi
On the right: Nodachi

Link Posted: 3/13/2014 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you do with them?
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I just collect them. I do not even chop water bottles with them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

...there for peeling apples.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
This isn't GD.  And it's they're, not there.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm quite the fan of Type XIV.  Windlass seems to have better quality today than in years past.  I'd love to get into "older" era swords but I am too fascinated by later swords.  

How is the balance on the European swords in your picture?
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right on. I've always secretly wanted a nice sword.
I ask just out of curiousty, who knows... you could have been some secret, ninja, braveheart swordsman. Never know who you'll come across here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm quite the fan of Type XIV.  Windlass seems to have better quality today than in years past.  I'd love to get into "older" era swords but I am too fascinated by later swords.  

How is the balance on the European swords in your picture?
View Quote

Just about perfect. If I can't stop the threat with my Glock 20, I'll impale them with the European sword.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I ask just out of curiousty, who knows... you could have been some secret, ninja, braveheart swordsman. Never know who you'll come across here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a minimalist but can't resist the carbon steel of a medieval sword. "We gonna get Medieval on your ass...."
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice. Windlass makes some pretty usable swords at a reasonable price point. They're not the most historically accurate in materials or construction but they're solid swords and made pretty well. I bought one of their Classic Medieval swords for my son recently - which is a decent approximation of a type X. The only thing I thought a bit cheap was the scabbard, but for $150 I suppose one can't expect much.

I've personally got a Hanwei Rhinelander, and just ordered a semi-custom type XIIa Great Sword from Valiant Armoury.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice. Windlass makes some pretty usable swords at a reasonable price point. They're not the most historically accurate in materials or construction but they're solid swords and made pretty well. I bought one of their Classic Medieval swords for my son recently - which is a decent approximation of a type X. The only thing I thought a bit cheap was the scabbard, but for $150 I suppose one can't expect much.

I've personally got a Hanwei Rhinelander, and just ordered a semi-custom type XIIa Great Sword from Valiant Armoury.
View Quote

I am a beginner to sword collecting so I did not tune into the importance of a good scabbard. I am going to take those two Windlass swords to DBK in Salt Lake City and have him make me some beautiful scabbards. Or would that be silly to spend $500 on a scabbard for a $150 sword?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am a beginner to sword collecting so I did not tune into the importance of a good scabbard. I am going to take those two Windlass swords to DBK in Salt Lake City and have him make me some beautiful scabbards. Or would that be silly to spend $500 on a scabbard for a $150 sword?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up to you, but I've seen some Windlass and Hanwei swords with custom scabbards and hilts that look fantastic. They have good blades, so you've got a good starting point for customization.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Up to you, but I've seen some Windlass and Hanwei swords with custom scabbards and hilts that look fantastic. They have good blades, so you've got a good starting point for customization.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MVolkJ, Turns out that www.dbkcustomswords.com has already done a scabbard for the Windlass Oakeshott Type XIV! I am going to go ahead and do it. Check it out:

http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/images/blog/MSullivan/WArming/WArmingMSullivanA1024.jpg

If I had gone with one of the Deepeeka swords, they come with real wooden scabbards, although not as nice as the DBK Custom. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
MVolkJ, Turns out that www.dbkcustomswords.com has already done a scabbard for the Windlass Oakeshott Type XIV! I am going to go ahead and do it. Check it out:

http://www.dbkcustomswords.com/images/blog/MSullivan/WArming/WArmingMSullivanA1024.jpg

If I had gone with one of the Deepeeka swords, they come with real wooden scabbards, although not as nice as the DBK Custom. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound, as they say.
View Quote

Now that's gorgeous! DBK does great work.

Be careful with Deepeeka. While their Roman swords are pretty much tops for accuracy, their swords aren't made from the best steel, the heat treat sucks, and their accessories suffer from a lack of good quality control. This works for Roman swords because they were pretty crappy swords historically to begin with, but it's bad for medieval swords. The blades on CAS/Hanwei and Windlass swords are going to be a lot better and will make a better starting point.

If you really want to go nuts, get an Albion bare blade and send it off to someone like Ernie of Yeshua's Sword and have something custom-made. It won't be cheap, but it will be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Be careful with Deepeeka. While their Roman swords are pretty much tops for accuracy, their swords aren't made from the best steel, the heat treat sucks, and their accessories suffer from a lack of good quality control. This works for Roman swords because they were pretty crappy swords historically to begin with, but it's bad for medieval swords. The blades on CAS/Hanwei and Windlass swords are going to be a lot better and will make a better starting point.

If you really want to go nuts, get an Albion bare blade and send it off to someone like Ernie of Yeshua's Sword and have something custom-made. It won't be cheap, but it will be awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turns out DBK is booked for the next 18 months.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Whats the best place to get a roman gladius? More of.a.functionality than historical accuracy thing.
Thx
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're just looking for a functional "gladius-like" weapon, the Cold Steel "gladius" will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-97GMS-Gladius-Machete/dp/B004MMS0PE

It's not historically accurate in any way, but it's a perfectly good functional weapon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Thx...this better than the windlass build?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Windlass Gladii are kinda meh. They've got good blades, but they're not really historically accurate either, and they don't come sharpened. Add in the fact that they're quite a bit more expensive than the Cold Steel one, and there you go.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I just shipped my medieval swords off to Christian Fletcher in Idaho for scabbards. His wait time is about six weeks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Thx for info
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 3:03:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just shipped my medieval swords off to Christian Fletcher in Idaho for scabbards. His wait time is about six weeks.
View Quote

Very nice. Christian Fletcher is very well known and does a fantastic job. Post pictures once you get them back!
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw a pretty cool sword over in the EE earlier.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Very nice. Christian Fletcher is very well known and does a fantastic job. Post pictures once you get them back!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christian Fletcher did a scabbard for an Austrian Masterpiece for me years ago.  It was a plain, black leather covered with a exposed metal scape and covered metal reinforcing ring near the throat.  Beautifully made.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Buying swords is a lot harder and more expensive than guns for what you get.  There is a lot of cheap shit out there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Buying swords is a lot harder and more expensive than guns for what you get.  There is a lot of cheap shit out there.
View Quote

This is ABSOLUTELY true.

Swords are an expensive endeavor--even more expensive if you are into historical periods that aren't overly popular.  The key is to do your homework!  The more you know, the better your decision-making will be.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote
Nomad a look under the hood of a windlass Pompeii Gladius at the link. Forgot, right click on the photos for full size.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nomad a look under the hood of a windlass Pompeii Gladius at the link. Forgot, right click on the photos for full size.

SBG Sword Forum • View topic - Windlass Steelcrafts Pompeii Gladius

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks great. I have restricted myself to six swords in order to maintain control: Two Japanese, two Medieval and two sword canes. So I must resist the Gladius. Must draw the line somewhere. I also restrict myself to six centerfire pistols and six centerfire rifles. Must maintain discipline....
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Looks great. I have restricted myself to six swords in order to maintain control: Two Japanese, two Medieval and two sword canes. So I must resist the Gladius. Must draw the line somewhere. I also restrict myself to six centerfire pistols and six centerfire rifles. Must maintain discipline....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, spears? They make great wall displays and are cheap. They are also easy to hide until you mount them to the haft. I have a Windlass leaf blade. Its very well made.

Lots of eye candy here as well.But shipping is a bitch.

And check the deal of the day at Museum Replicas. Some weekends its a weapon.

And check out the SBG forums from the Gladius link.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top