Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/10/2014 3:05:34 PM EDT
Looking for an axis lock style folder.  I dont like the locking mechanism that is on the back and i font like liner lock.  I like to be able to flick it shut and not have my finger in the way or have to reposition my hand too much.  I really like the smooth action of some benchmade knives but this is a use-everyday-knife that will take abuse and might be lost in the line of duty.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Ganzo  G704
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Benchmade Griptilian
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Spyderco Manix2
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Benchmade Griptilian
View Quote

End of thread.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
How about the new Axis Stryker?
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure he would like all the choices presented but he also said "might be lost in the line of duty"
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Benchmade Presidio
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm sure he would like all the choices presented but he also said "might be lost in the line of duty"
View Quote

If it's to be used in the line of duty, then I would think a $100ish Griptillian would be a perfect match of trust and write off.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Griptilian.     My favorite folder.     The Manix 2 is sweet too however Ive only handled them at the store.      I carry a D2 griptilian every day.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The OP needs to get back in and define his limits and meaning.  

I took this as benchmade was not an option to be considered:

I really like the smooth action of some benchmade knives but
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I would recommend against the Griptilian.  It simply isn't worth the price Benchmade is forcing them to be sold at now.  Also, it would be incredibly easy to "flick" it closed and chop off the tips of your fingers if you forget to move them out of the way.  To me it seems more dangerous than a framelock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would recommend against the Griptilian.  It simply isn't worth the price Benchmade is forcing them to be sold at now.  Also, it would be incredibly easy to "flick" it closed and chop off the tips of your fingers if you forget to move them out of the way.  To me it seems more dangerous than a framelock.
View Quote

A frame lock REQUIRES that one place the thumb in front of the edge when closing. If you put your fingers in the blade's path on an Axis knife and flick it closed, well then maybe sharp things aren't for you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A frame lock REQUIRES that one place the thumb in front of the edge when closing. If you put your fingers in the blade's path on an Axis knife and flick it closed, well then maybe sharp things aren't for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any kind of folding knife your fingers are in the way while you're cutting something.  If the lock fails and the knife closes your lose fingers.  My point is that with the axis lock since you don't have to adjust your grip to close it, it would be very easy to unlock it and close it without moving your fingers out of the way.  Frame locks require you to put at least a little bit of thought into adjusting your grip and unlocking it.

It comes down to what you're more used to using.  My gripe isn't with the axis lock, it's with Benchmade's retarded new pricing structure and how overpriced the Griptilian is.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Never heard of that happening with a Benchmade Axis lock...I don't think it would be "easy"....as for the price....ebay or the forums is the way to go....plenty of new or barely used ones in the $50 -70 range.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good one. Love my nitrous Stryker just wish it wasn't a liner lock
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
SOG Spec Elite II
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SOG Spec Elite II
View Quote

And the spec elite 1
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, that's what I meant. Basically trying to stay under 100 with the goal of being well below. This thing will be chewed up or lost within 6 months. I
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#20]
[b]Quoted:[/b u ]

Yup, that's what I meant. Basically trying to stay under 100 with the goal of being well below. This thing will be chewed up or lost within 6 months. I
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Buy used.

Beat it up. Send to Benchmade. Start over
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Buy used.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy used.

This.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Another design that comes to mind is the Lock Back.  Most Spyderco, Cold Steel or buck knives have this.

For the record I hate liner locks as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Cold Steel Recon-1
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a Ganzo in a trade that I kind of like. Problem is some aren't timed properly and if you get one with a faulty lock it's going to be hundreds of times more dangerous than any vertical tension lock. I've personally never known anyone who was even remotely competent that cut themselves closing a liner lock.

Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And now it's not.

(Well, yours still is but now they're Axis locks.)
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ganzo  G704
View Quote
Please do not suggest a knife from a company that violates copyright/trademark laws by ripping off an American company's design.  Ganzo deliberately copied the Axis lock without Benchmade's permission.  Quite a few of the Chinese knife companies do this -- Ganzo being just one of them -- and do not deserve our business.

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
 Have you even used an Axis lock knife??

The Axis lock is designed so you keep your fingers out of the way of the blade to close it.  You would have to try to "chop off the tips of your fingers" flicking it closed.

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Any kind of folding knife your fingers are in the way while you're cutting something.  If the lock fails and the knife closes your lose fingers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any kind of folding knife your fingers are in the way while you're cutting something.  If the lock fails and the knife closes your lose fingers.

You're shown to be talking out of alternative parts of your anatomy, so you change the situation from "flicking closed" to lock failure?  FAIL.  Quit now while you're ahea... get farther behind in your arguing.  If you are cutting properly, the lock won't fail.  Even if it does, the force and motion of cutting will keep the blade open.    The only way to get the Axis lock to fail is to apply pressure to the spine of the blade (and then you're not cutting).  The Axis lock is one of the strongest around.
My point is that with the axis lock since you don't have to adjust your
grip to close it, it would be very easy to unlock it and close it
without moving your fingers out of the way.  Frame locks require you to
put at least a little bit of thought into adjusting your grip and
unlocking it.
Again...  Maybe it's just me... no, it isn't.  Every video I've seen of people flicking the Axis lock closed shows the person shifting their grip in order to unlock it.  Right now I'm sitting here at the computer with my 810-1401 Contego, and try as I might, I cannot easily unlock it and close it when holding the knife in a cutting grip.  My index finger and thumb just don't rotate the way needed to do that and keep my fingers in the way.  It takes so much effort to do so that there is no way to "accidentally" cut myself.  Only negligence on the user's part would cause that.  In order to get my finger and thumb on the Axis lock, I must rotate the knife in my hand and ... guess what... my fingers are out of the way!

It comes down to what you're more used to using.  My gripe isn't with the axis lock, it's with Benchmade's retarded new pricing structure and how overpriced the Griptilian is.
If your gripe isn't with the Axis lock, then why did you spend a couple posts trashing it by saying how easy it is to close it on your fingers??
I get that you're main beef is with Benchmade's decision to artificially raise the end-price of their knives by close to 30% (as am I, which is why I will not buy new Benchmade knives and will only buy on the secondary market), but don't make up crap about what is arguably one of the strongest locks on a production folder.

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#29]
loonybin I think you took my posts a little too seriously.  I wasn't really bashing the axis lock, just pointing out that it isn't really any better or safer than well made liner/frame locks.  I do have a Griptilian and I have no problem reaching the lock with my thumb while keeping the rest of my fingers wrapped around the handle.  You don't need to slide the lock from both sides to unlock it, just a thumb on one side is enough to unlock the blade and cause it to close. Any folding knife requires a conscious thought to move/adjust your fingers out of the way to ensure you don't cut yourself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
loonybin I think you took my posts a little too seriously.  I wasn't really bashing the axis lock, just pointing out that it isn't really any better or safer than well made liner/frame locks.  I do have a Griptilian and I have no problem reaching the lock with my thumb while keeping the rest of my fingers wrapped around the handle.  You don't need to slide the lock from both sides to unlock it, just a thumb on one side is enough to unlock the blade and cause it to close. Any folding knife requires a conscious thought to move/adjust your fingers out of the way to ensure you don't cut yourself.
View Quote

Why would you??? That just seems like you're looking for ways to hurt yourself...proper use of a knife or any equipment is different than finding ways to do wrong things with them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#31]
The Benchmade  Griptillian model 550 w/modified sheepsfoot blade is far and away my favorite everyday carry knife.  I've had mine several years and I guarantee it's worth the money.  The knife is very strong, light, and stupid smooth.  I love it.

I own some that cost over 4x as much, but none that I prefer more.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I can recommend anything I want.  The OP can make up his own mind on what he wants.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can recommend anything I want.  The OP can make up his own mind on what he wants.
View Quote

The OP asked for suggestions.  What's the point if you don't suggest anything?
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I was replying to a poster.  I made a suggestion to the OP based on his desire for: axis lock, relative inexpensive sine it may be easily lost and carried on duty.   I suggested a Ganzo 704 which is a copy of a discontinued model put out under the HK line by Benchmade.  The real designer or knifemaker was Mike Snody for this particular knife.    Benchmade also has a history of taking designs and knives are for the most part copied all the time while a specific lock or mechanism my be patented.  I have experienced recommending a clone knife like a Ganzo 704 get the person interested enough that they actually do buy a Benchmade or Spyderco.     Anyway the design I mentioned is no longer made by Benchmade which makes it fair game for Ganzo.      Also some people can not afford to take the hit of losing a $150 knife and the Ganzo 704 is an easier loss at $20.

Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was replying to a poster.  I made a suggestion to the OP based on his desire for: axis lock, relative inexpensive sine it may be easily lost and carried on duty.   I suggested a Ganzo 704 which is a copy of a discontinued model put out under the HK line by Benchmade.  The real designer or knifemaker was Mike Snody for this particular knife.    Benchmade also has a history of taking designs and knives are for the most part copied all the time while a specific lock or mechanism my be patented.  I have experienced recommending a clone knife like a Ganzo 704 get the person interested enough that they actually do buy a Benchmade or Spyderco.     Anyway the design I mentioned is no longer made by Benchmade which makes it fair game for Ganzo.      Also some people can not afford to take the hit of losing a $150 knife and the Ganzo 704 is an easier loss at $20.

View Quote

10-4.  I understand.  Knew I must have been missing something.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
another option is the gerber dmf manual, it has an axis style locking mechanism
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
Whether the specific blade shape is used by Benchmade now or not., the Axis lock is protected by law and Ganzo is violating the law by copying it.  Thus, you are promoting cheats and criminals.  They only reason they get away with it is because the Chinese government doesn't care that they're ripping off an American company (their gov't does it a lot themselves).  Quit trying to rationalize what Ganzo is doing.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Whether the specific blade shape is used by Benchmade now or not., the Axis lock is protected by law and Ganzo is violating the law by copying it.  Thus, you are promoting cheats and criminals.  They only reason they get away with it is because the Chinese government doesn't care that they're ripping off an American company (their gov't does it a lot themselves).  Quit trying to rationalize what Ganzo is doing.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically Ganzo has broken no laws. Benchmade has no (legally binding) patent on the Axis lock in China, and they don't distribute them to the US. Now if an American company imported them to sell retail, they could be served with a cease and desist. Otherwise, people buying them from Chinese companies do risk them being confiscated upon importation.

Of note is that Benchmade states they own the patent for the axis lock in China. Maybe they updated it now, but I remember awhile back someone looked into the patent numbers on their site and they were a dead end. It'd be interesting to know if it actually exists now since back then they couldn't even find an application for it. If I recall correctly, this was done after Enlan offered their first axis lock, around the time Benchmade's Red Class was being produced in China.

Not that I agree with them using the axis lock morally, but can you imagine how shitty the knife market would be if lockbacks, liners, and frame locks were all patented? How about applying it to firearm design? Browning and Colt would be about the only companies to exist inside the US. Also keep in mind Benchmade had no hand in developing the axis lock. They bought the rights to it, and have made several trivial changes to extend the patent past any other locking systems made.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Benchmade Emissary 477, or the 730-801 Ares Acma Reus Special Edition (I actually have the 732, but that is now discontinued and the only way to get one is to go for the special edition version)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#40]
How about a Benchmade Mini Grip?  One aspect I don't like about the full size Grip is the lack of a full length SS liner - obviously it is still plenty strong but at a price over $100 I think a knife should have that feature.  In comparison, the mini does have a full length liner and costs under $100.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top