Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2013 5:18:19 PM EDT
So I am sitting here watching Modern Marvels - "Mega Weapon Count Down", and one of the weapons listed was the tomahawk. After watching some of the benefits of having one for a SHTF scenario, I now have the itch for one.

That being said, what are some guidelines that you all feel make a great quality, durable, and functional tomahawk? Recommendation are greatly appreciated.

(Not sure if this should be in the Survival or Blades  category.)

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't really done much research but just from looks I like SOGs tomahawks and hatchets. I have some of their knives and they are pretty nice. Avoid Gil Hibben tomahawks. I've broken 3
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I haven't really done much research but just from looks I like SOGs tomahawks and hatchets. I have some of their knives and they are pretty nice. Avoid Gil Hibben tomahawks. I've broken 3

So far the majority of the ones I have come across that I liked were SOGs. While I have heard they make pretty good knives, I have not heard anything about the tomahawks. While looks is a plus, I am more interested in durability and quality.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So far the majority of the ones I have come across that I liked were SOGs. While I have heard they make pretty good knives, I have not heard anything about the tomahawks. While looks is a plus, I am more interested in durability and quality.

Yeah like I said I haven't looked into their durability and quality. I have just seen pictures of them. But I'm interested to see what other people who know more about them say.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I had that itch too, so I bought an H&B forge (who had some experience supplying some soldiers in 'Nam with hawks) Shawnee hawk. Very basic, but incredibly strong. It ain't tactical, but I would take it with me for SHTF
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I kind of like that. Simple, yet functional.

Quoted:

I had that itch too, so I bought an H&B forge (who had some experience supplying some soldiers in 'Nam with hawks) Shawnee hawk. Very basic, but incredibly strong. It ain't tactical, but I would take it with me for SHTF

http://www.hbforge.com/images/Shawnee-350x350.jpg

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I liked this one.

Link to H&B Forge
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a couple of cheap but durable tomahawks, the United Cutlery M48 and a a SOG fasthawk...I like them, but I decided to step up to  a Benchmade Killian and it is worth every penny...I think I would like to add an RMJ Shrike to the collection at some point, but that's about twice the cost of the Killian...these are what I would say are considered "tactical" tomahawks, if you are looking for something more traditional, the other posters should be able to point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
RMJ
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I've handled H&B Forge products before and they are definitely good to go.  However, in a SHTF scenario I wouldn't reach for anything excpect my RMJ Shrike.  It's a full one piece construction with an insulated handle in case you cut through a live wire.  I have the kydex rig set up with a strap so I can just throw it on last over my shoulder.  They are pricey and the wait can be a pain in the ass, but like I said, it's definitely the only one of my 'hawks that I will reach for when SHTF.

15 inch insulated handle over one piece construction - also available with a 13 inch handle - handle comes in a variety of colors

Bottom eject kydex sheath with strap attached for over the shoulder carry - I've also seen these attached to MOLLE in any sort of configuration you can imagine

Close up of the head - self defense uses aside, the head, beard and spike are very effective at ripping through just about anything including fully inflated tires

It even has a stone in the handle for blade touch ups in the field

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
At some point I'd like to pick up a Winkler Combat Ax.  Not sure when I can justify the expense but it's definitely on the list.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
This is one of my top picks that I have come across so far, but the price is just to high for me right now. Although I would like to get one eventually.

Quoted:

I've handled H&B Forge products before and they are definitely good to go.  However, in a SHTF scenario I wouldn't reach for anything excpect my RMJ Shrike.  It's a full one piece construction with an insulated handle in case you cut through a live wire.  I have the kydex rig set up with a strap so I can just throw it on last over my shoulder.  They are pricey and the wait can be a pain in the ass, but like I said, it's definitely the only one of my 'hawks that I will reach for when SHTF.

15 inch insulated handle over one piece construction - also available with a 13 inch handle - handle comes in a variety of colors

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7SQlHzDhGGc/UdYFlChupsI/AAAAAAAAA0Y/SVOdopVvOeM/s400/ScreenHunter_33%2520Jul.%252004%252018.16.jpg

Bottom eject kydex sheath with strap attached for over the shoulder carry - I've also seen these attached to MOLLE in any sort of configuration you can imagine

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oZ0oGLaTv9U/UdYFkePGp_I/AAAAAAAAA0U/alYtuVA7AG4/s400/ScreenHunter_32%2520Jul.%252004%252018.15.jpg

Close up of the head - self defense uses aside, the head, beard and spike are very effective at ripping through just about anything including fully inflated tires

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ntVFPNirfXE/UdYFkQNgMWI/AAAAAAAAA0M/I_COvAftbxY/s400/ScreenHunter_30%2520Jul.%252004%252018.15.jpg

It even has a stone in the handle for blade touch ups in the field

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jwtPxmMUtXw/UdYFkfj9-zI/AAAAAAAAA0E/rlD2Uilb418/s400/ScreenHunter_31%2520Jul.%252004%252018.15.jpg

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up an estwing tomahawk seems to be  
a good value solid one piece steel for 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 3:32:43 AM EDT
[#13]
BM Tomahawk?
Still expensive though

http://www.benchmade.com/products/172
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The RMJs are awesome if you don't mind the price and the wait time.

If you want something more affordable, I really like my Cold Steel Trench Hawk. I've fucked up a bunch of shit with it and haven't damaged the hawk.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've only read good things about these - one is definitely on my list

Quoted:
The RMJs are awesome if you don't mind the price and the wait time.

If you want something more affordable, I really like my Cold Steel Trench Hawk. I've fucked up a bunch of shit with it and haven't damaged the hawk.

I have 2 Cold Steel Tomahawks and they are a SOLID value for what you pay - they are also very fun to modify
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

These look like a good deal. Forged, full tang, usually you gotta pay $$$ for that.

Only question is how is the balance? It looks like there's more metal in the handle than I like. I would prefer a tapered thin tang to concentrate the weight at the head.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#17]
It feels pretty well balanced to me. Made in the USA
for under 50 bucks I'm happy it .I got the leather grip
probably would go with rubber next time for something grippier.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess if you haven't come across American Kami hawks/axes, they're great and if your looking for higher up give them a look.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Recently picked up a CRKT Chogan hawk... its pretty effin solid.  Designed by RMJ and thw price point is about max what I would spend on a piece of sharpened steel.

Link Posted: 7/5/2013 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#20]
RMJ or Omnivore Blade-Works for high end. You can buy one that will last a lifetime and tear a car to bits.

CRKT for middle of the road. (Kangee has the great edge all along the top like the Omnivore. Far more useful than you'd imagine)

Cold Steel for cheap. You can buy 30 of them and beat the piss out of them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 2:32:15 AM EDT
[#21]
First identify what role you see your SHTF tomahawk being used in. Entry tool, Bushcraft or CQB.  The thinner the edge/grind the better it will be for EDC tasks while the heavier duty breacher tools are more indestructible.  Spiked hawks do represent a possible threat to the user with a pointy end facing the owner during use.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I used an ATC VTAC in Iraq…nothing sexy, just breaking up pallets, digging up commo wire and toying around.  I did a lot of traveling and it was a good companion.

I like the merits of hawks as woodcraft tools and urban breaching/extraction tools; they can make a pretty effective weapon as well.

On low end is Cold Steel; most are simple pole hawks, but very functional.  My favorite is the Frontier hawk.  A few variations like the Vector Hawk combine a very robust, synthetic handle to the Trail-hawk head.  There are several great small production hawk makers stateside. Rageweed Forge has some great examples and good service…

As mentioned, the VTAC is the modern rendition of the LaGana tomahawk and very functional and light.  

RMJ makes top of the line hawks.  I have one of the first Eagle Talons and the newer Shrike; the Shrike has been used and abused, but a very stout tool.  The insulated handle makes it more appropriate in an urban or sub-urban area where electrical lines may be encountered.  The “full-tang” construction allows you to really put weight into it for prying.  

Lastly, I recently picked up CRKT’s Kangee hawk; very impressed, to say the least, especially for the price.  My son already claimed it, so I may have to pick up another if I actually want to use it.  It’s less of something I would grab for bushcraft, but a great little breaching/extracting tool.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Gerber just released a new one.

I personally would get about 5 cold steel hawks.  Easily replaceable handles, steel is decent, cheap.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:16:33 PM EDT
[#24]
For fantasy SHTF, tomahawks are great.  They are really not practical tools though, which will be far more useful in actual SHTF situations, imho.  They are good weapons, but not great tools.  

Last summer a tree top came down and blocked my front door.  I thought it was a great chance to get my RMJ Kestrel dirty.  It bounced right off every limb until I just said F it.  I grabbed an old Estwing camp ax and the tree damn near fell apart.  It's a much better tool than a high quality hawk, much cheaper, too.  It might not be quite as good of a weapon, but it's much more versatile.  I'd recommend a good camp ax over a tomahawk for SHTF situations.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had a SOG Fasthawk for a number of years (3?) and it's held up fine.

I throw it at targets, and have used it while camping for various chores. It's a nice size, and has held up really well.

Also: cheap.

Are there better out there? Sure. Better value? Not sure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Jericoh Blades just finished up their Hawk and It is bad ass! Check it out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Pair of Winklers

Link Posted: 7/14/2013 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#28]
After owning all three SOG hawks I can say that the 'hawks themselves are a decent low budget choice...EXCEPT their sheath quality control is nonexistent.  Of four examples bought, #1) had loose rivets laying inside the box, #2) had stitching that was not sewn along the top of one sheath, and #3) one of the lower snaps will not stay closed.  Three bad sheaths out of four sucks really bad.

On the other hand their Tsunami (own 4) knives are great blades that come with a decent sheath, with a pocket that is perfect for a Leatherman.  The Gov-Tac is a decent blade, but the Kydex sheath has a flimsy belt attachment.  The Daggert II is somewhat comparable to a Gerber Mark II., comes with a nice Kydex sheath, but the belt attachment part is flimsy.  The Fixation dagger comes with a sheath that is similar to the Tsunami with a pouch that can hold a multitool.

Paladin
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
For fantasy SHTF, tomahawks are great.  They are really not practical tools though, which will be far more useful in actual SHTF situations, imho.  They are good weapons, but not great tools.  

Last summer a tree top came down and blocked my front door.  I thought it was a great chance to get my RMJ Kestrel dirty.  It bounced right off every limb until I just said F it.  I grabbed an old Estwing camp ax and the tree damn near fell apart.  It's a much better tool than a high quality hawk, much cheaper, too.  It might not be quite as good of a weapon, but it's much more versatile.  I'd recommend a good camp ax over a tomahawk for SHTF situations.

I don't really agree.  I know master tomahawk user, but there is plenty of evidence of their use as a tool.  They are not going to chop through a tree, at least not before you grow a full beard.  However, they can be used to limb, serve as plane, shave, notch, etc.  There is much more leverage and the ability for a simple pole-head hawk to be removed makes it even simpler.  I wont' deny their use requires practiced skill, but to discount them as a tool flies in the face of those that actually use them (I don't use one all the time for the record, but they do serve a purpose for numerous tasks below the need of a full blow axe).

ROCK6
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I just bought one from Mainline Forge. Great guy to deal with, builds to customer spec.

Mainline-Forge

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#31]
As a maker, user, and tester of hawks, I find them very usefull. They must be right for the task and pocketbook of the user. One piece designs are very strong and some are designed smaller for small tasks. While I agree you would not want to cut down a tree with them, who would? I hate cutting wood and wont if I can break branches to make a fire or shelter....conserve energy. Or use a chain saw if you are able and have protection. They were carried for centuries as tools and weapons for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pair of Winklers

[email=http://www.flickr.com/photos/61861699@N02/9082797684/]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5471/9082797684_4b92390f3e_b.jpg[/email]

View Quote
Those actually look pretty badass. However, do they work very well or do they just look wicked?

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I just bought one from Mainline Forge. Great guy to deal with, builds to customer spec.

Mainline-Forge

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/68325_482535448498951_1404360769_n.jpg
View Quote

Wow. I really like the way that looks. Functional, simple, and eloquent.

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#34]
The Ranger Hawk by Ranger Knives is as tough as any. Coal Creek Forge makes a nice one too. Both of mine from each maker are spike hawks.
Coalcreekforge.com.
Rangerknives.com.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the idea but it's too pretty, too fancy - super-smooth handle with a gloss varnish finish, shiny steel head.  I'd be afraid to use it.  The first log you split will mar the finish on the head.  The first time you miss the log, you will put a ding in the handle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I enjoy working (carefully) with bladed instruments, and I've even built myself a damascus katana for hard usage (pattern welded, not Japanese layered technique).

I consider the sword the ideal non-firearm weapon when mounted on horseback, which certainly would be a common conveyance in a prolonged SHTF scenario.

But, for taking off with just your BOB, rifle, and sidearm, I think the tomahawk would be as devastating as could be, and certainly more useful than a sword in most cases (simply because you can use the tomahawk to smash open light barriers where a sword would be useless).
A camp axe is ten times better for cutting wood, but too heavy for my BOB (which has a light folding saw too).

I'm reading the history of the colonial "home invasion" experts of their day: Samuel Mason and the Harpe brothers. They committed a good percentage of their murders of armed (but inattentive) frontiersmen with a tomahawk.

For a light to medium heavy pack, on foot, bad things all around you, I want a tomahawk.
I'm in the Florida panhandle, and have a few friends in the 7th Group here. About 1/2 of them carry a tactical tomahawk when deployed.

I bought a CRKT Kangee.  
It's a compromise.
They won't let me have grenades.

Link Posted: 7/31/2013 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#37]
If you are looking for a low cost work horse I suggest looking at something like This

I have one similar to it and the the thing just keeps working. Is it as pretty as the others? No. Is it as expensive? No. Does it do what it is designed to do? Yes. Plus I figure if it is good enough for the guys in my local FD, who recommended it, it's good enough for me.

All wins in my book but YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/31/2013 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#38]
If you are looking for a low cost work horse I suggest looking at something like this ...

You could spend a lot more money and not do as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couldn't agree more about a Estwing hatchet. It is a far superior tool out in the field.  

As of 2013 it is 36USD for the full steel version and will serve you much better in value.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_226001801?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Never used a tomahawk but have messed with hatchets and axes some in the woods and on the farm.

What does the tomahawk have that a Kukri won't as far as utility as tool or as a weapon?

I assume its a matter of preference and familiarity, but can someone with broad experience shed some light on it?
I'm interested in any experiences along this line for general use as a woodsman, camper, survivor.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Never used a tomahawk but have messed with hatchets and axes some in the woods and on the farm.

What does the tomahawk have that a Kukri won't as far as utility as tool or as a weapon?

I assume its a matter of preference and familiarity, but can someone with broad experience shed some light on it?
I'm interested in any experiences along this line for general use as a woodsman, camper, survivor.
View Quote

Apples and orange really. The heavy head, thick bit and spike (on some models) is better against hard targets. Good for breaching, punching holes, etc. Mine will easily chop through the pillars of a car, shatter safety glass, chop homes in walls, bust padlocks, and punch holes in sheet metal all day. These are all difficult to impossible with a kukri. Different tools for different jobs.

For SHTF/survival, I'd take a kukri or good machete in the woods and a hawk in an urban/suburban environment.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Apples and orange really. The heavy head, thick bit and spike (on some models) is better against hard targets. Good for breaching, punching holes, etc. Mine will easily chop through the pillars of a car, shatter safety glass, chop homes in walls, bust padlocks, and punch holes in sheet metal all day. These are all difficult to impossible with a kukri. Different tools for different jobs.

For SHTF/survival, I'd take a kukri or good machete in the woods and a hawk in an urban/suburban environment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am interested in the Gerber Tomahawk, but I would not pay the price of $285USD. It is an Tomahawk "Axe"/Crowbar/Hammer.

I do not think the value meets the price tag, but it is unique and would like to give this a trial run in the woods.

For military and law enforcement they do offer this product slightly cheaper.

http://www.gerbergear.com/var/gerber/storage/images/frontpage/tactical/gear/downrange-tomahawk_30-000792/1416514-37-eng-US/Downrange-Tomahawk_fulljpg.jpg
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Also, let's be clear about what SHTF means (and it doesn't mean a zombie apocalypse).

It means ordinary society is disrupted, more than just a one week gasoline shortage, and bad things are happening (hunger, crime, displacement, etc).

The point of the tomahawk is being able to have it with you, being able to use it offensively against opponents, being able to use it defensively when you can't use a firearm, and being able to use it in a utilitarian manner (prying open a door) that's better than a knife, even if it's not nearly as good as the tools back home in your garage.

It's a compromise.
It's usefulness is simply that it does all of the things above AND you can carry it easily without it being a bother.

I'd still rather have a dozen grenades than a tomahawk.
But I can't, so I do.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Also, let's be clear about what SHTF means (and it doesn't mean a zombie apocalypse).

It means ordinary society is disrupted, more than just a one week gasoline shortage, and bad things are happening (hunger, crime, displacement, etc).

The point of the tomahawk is being able to have it with you, being able to use it offensively against opponents, being able to use it defensively when you can't use a firearm, and being able to use it in a utilitarian manner (prying open a door) that's better than a knife, even if it's not nearly as good as the tools back home in your garage.

It's a compromise.
It's usefulness is simply that it does all of the things above AND you can carry it easily without it being a bother.

I'd still rather have a dozen grenades than a tomahawk.
But I can't, so I do.
View Quote

LOL. I know the feeling about the zombie thing, its kinda ridiculous but if it gets more people interested in gear, guns and knives I dont see the harm in it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not necessarily true....there are some excellent utility hawks that will fill most roles.
Here is my favorite hawk,and is what I use for bushcraft.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/90RH/RIFLEMANS_HAWK.aspx

Yes its a large hawk but you would be please how well it feels in the hand,and its a chopper/hammer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#46]
For now I have a CS Trail hawk.

I like this one by John Horrigan at eliteknives:

You might take a look at bladeforums. they have a nice 'hawk section.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

For now I have a CS Trail hawk.

I like this one by John Horrigan at eliteknives:

http://www.eliteknives.com/images/hawkhunterclaytemperset.jpg

You might take a look at bladeforums. they have a nice 'hawk section.
View Quote
Wow. I am in love.

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you are looking for a low cost work horse I suggest looking at something like this ...

http://www.estwing.com/img/products/AO_leather_axe.jpg

You could spend a lot more money and not do as well.
View Quote

There are DIY folks who customize them.
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68120&sid=cb3ea8ea03ea1b5dc2142ea32ddd8472

ETA: The carpenters model Estwing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the Cold Steel riflemans hawk , it seems to work well enough once you sharpen it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag..relevant to my interest
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top