BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Page / 24
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I got around to trying a finish on two uncoated carbon blades I had gotten last year.  Did not come out as well as I'd have liked, but they're done.  They looked really rough until I used some very fine steel wool and CLP, and spent some time polishing.  That evened the finish out and improved the look significantly.  The 3 was my first attempt, then the 4.  The 4 came out a bit better IMHO.

Main observation - even though I cleaned the steel with denatured alcohol multiple times, when the blueing started to take, it was obvious there was still something on the steel.  (Yes, I used gloves, and even changed for a new pair after the initial cleaning.)  If I try blueing again, I'll use a stronger cleaner for the first cleaning, then finish with alcohol.  I may try the vinegar patina if I do another one.

ESEE-3
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ESEE-4
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Clearer view of the blade finish.  You can see how much worse the 3 (first attempt) turned out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Anybody make aftermarket scales for them that have a little more choil up front?

Love my 4 but sometimes I feel like my hand is gonna slip down the blade when I use it in ways no one should use a knife.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Main observation - even though I cleaned the steel with denatured alcohol multiple times, when the blueing started to take, it was obvious there was still something on the steel.  (Yes, I used gloves, and even changed for a new pair after the initial cleaning.)  If I try blueing again, I'll use a stronger cleaner for the first cleaning, then finish with alcohol.
View Quote
Try MEK to get the base metal chemically clean before finishing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Main observation - even though I cleaned the steel with denatured alcohol multiple times, when the blueing started to take, it was obvious there was still something on the steel.  (Yes, I used gloves, and even changed for a new pair after the initial cleaning.)  If I try blueing again, I'll use a stronger cleaner for the first cleaning, then finish with alcohol.
Isn't MEK strong enough to strip the markings?  Not sure if I'll be doing any more, but I did want to keep the markings and SN on the blade.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Isn't MEK strong enough to strip the markings?  Not sure if I'll be doing any more, but I did want to keep the markings and SN on the blade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably. I stripped my Esee 3HM with paint stripper, finish cleaned with MEK, and applied cold blue. The markings are now pretty subdued.

Here's a close up. Markings are visible, but the angle of light has to be right to see them clearly.

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Probably. I stripped my Esee 3HM with paint stripper, finish cleaned with MEK, and applied cold blue. The markings are now pretty subdued.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/50D-High-ISO-Tests/n-vGtS3/i-mQd89gV/0/e1cafb24/X3/i-mQd89gV-X3.jpg

Here's a close up. Markings are visible, but the angle of light has to be right to see them clearly.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/50D-High-ISO-Tests/n-vGtS3/i-bWCfMSx/0/7cf2903c/X2/i-bWCfMSx-X2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/50D-High-ISO-Tests/n-vGtS3/i-mQd89gV/0/e1cafb24/X3/i-mQd89gV-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/50D-High-ISO-Tests/n-vGtS3/i-bWCfMSx/0/7cf2903c/X2/i-bWCfMSx-X2.jpg
I'll keep the MEK in mind if I do any more.

How is the blueing holding up with use on yours?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anybody make aftermarket scales for them that have a little more choil up front?

Love my 4 but sometimes I feel like my hand is gonna slip down the blade when I use it in ways no one should use a knife.
View Quote
I haven't seen any, but I stopped looking after putting the TKC scales on mine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll keep the MEK in mind if I do any more.

How is the blueing holding up with use on yours?
View Quote
Haven't really used it much yet. I'm not expecting much durability but it should be easy to touch up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Haven't really used it much yet. I'm not expecting much durability but it should be easy to touch up.
View Quote
I blued a Rat-3.  It was a nice balance between less rusty and liking the smooth steel surface.  It did wear a lot faster than the painted coating, but if you are like me and like using a knife with bare steel rather than a coated blade.......it's a nice middle ground.

I wouldn't want it on a knife I didn't use enough to keep tabs on corrosion though.  I still have that Rat-3, but I don't use it that often any more.  Corrosion is starting to become an annoying issue from just sitting in my nightstand.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, we'll find out. The Esee 3HM is going on a kayak based hunt tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Wife bought me a Junglas for Christmas
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/225608/IMG_0182-414824.JPG
View Quote
They're both keepers!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They're both keepers!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/225608/IMG_0182-414824.JPG
They're both keepers!
Suorised she didn't keep it for herself. I bought her an Izula years ago, one year after I had gotten mine.  Serial numbers were one number apart.  After that one, she got a venom green Izula and I bought her a Candiru.  
She's got quite a few knives now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Got my Expat Libertariat last week, very awesome blade.  Excited to beat the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I will be ordering a junglas in a few weeks I just have to finish off my current AR project 1st looking forward to getting it
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
My Esee 3, Izula, and Candiru.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
What made the sheaths?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What made the sheaths?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What made the sheaths?
Armatus Carry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376523/20170713-160850-253116.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376523/20170713-160831-253117.JPG

Just did some mustard patina followed by vinegar paper towel wrap and lubed with clp. Got her at noon and she's looking good by 4!
View Quote
To each their own, but I think that looks you've drug your knife through some southern mud mixed with red clay.

What were you trying to do here?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone try the scales from TKC? I can't decide which scales I want for my ESEE 4, the extended or the compact. I like that swell on the compact and I think the stock scales are too flat. The extended seems to have something of a swell as well though.

I have medium sized hands, but medium gloves are a bit tight and large gloves are a little loose. I usually end up buying large gloves.

ETA: are there any other companies making handles for the ESEE 4? Something cheaper like $15-20. $50 is outrageous for what you're getting and I hate to spend money foolishly.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a set of TKC's on a laserstrike. I tried a few others first, but finally gave in. Huge difference. The storage for firecord and a AH-1 arrowhead inside the scales is a bonus as well. Not sure about -4's specifically, but another plug for TKC.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anyone try the scales from TKC? I can't decide which scales I want for my ESEE 4, the extended or the compact. I like that swell on the compact and I think the stock scales are too flat. The extended seems to have something of a swell as well though.

I have medium sized hands, but medium gloves are a bit tight and large gloves are a little loose. I usually end up buying large gloves.

ETA: are there any other companies making handles for the ESEE 4? Something cheaper like $15-20. $50 is outrageous for what you're getting and I hate to spend money foolishly.
View Quote
I wear a 9 in sized gloves, I have the extended TKC scales on a 4.  For me, the stock scales are too thin and slightly too short.  Good feel on the TKCs, for my hands.  This is definitely a YMMV.  (Haven't tried the compact scales, haven't looked for other scales for the ESEEs.)
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Hey just a quick question I'm getting rust on my Blade is this normal. Do I need to do something to this knife.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hey just a quick question I'm getting rust on my Blade is this normal?  Maybe!  What knife?  What steel?  If your knife is 1095 steel - yes, rust is normal if you expose the knife to conditions likely to produce rust.  You can avoid rust by cleaning and oiling the knife after use or you could petina the knife with acidic foods (and/or other methods).  You can also use Birchwood Casey super blue to create petina (cold blueing) (LINK)

Do I need to do something to this knife?  Maybe!  Depends on what you want to accomplish...
View Quote
The ESEE logo as well as the "ESEE-3" etched above the choil on the port side of the ESEE-3 below has received the Birchwood Casey Super Blue treatment.

Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Custom knives we had made for the team.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Custom knives we had made for the team.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/230395/IMG_4296-468018.JPG
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone ever been so excited to open up your new Esee knife only to find a damn Mora in the box? Yeah... happened to me today. I've heard of this scam on Amazon but never been a victim of it until today.

Needless to say the $100 Mora is on its way back and hopefully an actual RB3 will be here Saturday.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The ESEE logo as well as the "ESEE-3" etched above the choil on the port side of the ESEE-3 below has received the Birchwood Casey Super Blue treatment.

https://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach/2/578402/5.jpg
View Quote
CANDIRU
SPECS:
Overall Length: 5.13?
Cutting Edge Length: 2.0?
Weight: 1.7 Ounces
Drop Point Blade Style
Maximum Thickness: .125?
1095 Carbon Steel – 55-57 Rc.
Textured Powder Coat Finish
Skeletonized Handle
Molded Sheath w/ Clip Plate
Made in the USA

Ok thanks most of my blades I guess are stainless. So would gun oil be fine to use.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
CANDIRU
...1095 Carbon Steel...
...Textured Powder Coat Finish...

So would gun oil be fine to use?
View Quote
Any oil will work but if you plan to eat anything that you have cut with the knife, you might want to use vegetable oil (corn, olive, etc.).  Food grade mineral oil is OK as well...  You only need to lightly oil the exposed metal.  The parts of the knife with an intact coating are pretty impervious to the elements.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Anyone ever been so excited to open up your new Esee knife only to find a damn Mora in the box? Yeah... happened to me today. I've heard of this scam on Amazon but never been a victim of it until today.

Needless to say the $100 Mora is on its way back and hopefully an actual RB3 will be here Saturday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180301_101733-468737.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180301_101844-468739.JPG
View Quote
Oh wow I'd be pissed!
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Oh wow I'd be pissed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180301_101733-468737.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180301_101844-468739.JPG
Oh wow I'd be pissed!
I had a guy on EBay pull the switcharu with some model trains I order put the $10 box kits in the $40 boxes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Someone here linked to a deal on these about a year ago (~$45).  I'm not sure I'm in love with the sharpened false edge but its a nice little knife.  I'll probably order an Izula II this afternoon.

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#35]
The big Brown truck showed up

Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I appreciate the advice! My reason I didn't was IIRC bladeforums?

Somewhere esee dealt with too many stripped screws and broken bits, and they called out people to stop breaking their crap by over tightening or fixing what isn't broke. I have been trying to not screw with things lately, and i felt id listen to their advice and leave it assembled but I will try to get some color in it!
View Quote
To keep screws from backing out, try putting a drop (just a drop) of boiled linseed oil on the threads before installing them. The oil dries tacky, and works like Loctite, but without having to use a torch to get the screw out again. It’s an old, old gunsmiths trick.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
How are you liking those Sheaths?  I have an Izula 2 on the way, and would like to horizontal carry it.  
So do I buy the sheath, and then add the leather straps?  Or does the sheath come with one?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How are you liking those Sheaths?  I have an Izula 2 on the way, and would like to horizontal carry it.  
So do I buy the sheath, and then add the leather straps?  Or does the sheath come with one?

Thanks!!
View Quote
I use one every single day and love them. I have 6 right now and just sent in a blade to have a custom made. It's the only sheath I've found that I can comfortably carry a 4" blade and forget it's even there.

The button snap loop will come with standard. He also offers an IWB clip for extra if you want to carry vertically. This is how my wife carries her candiru since she doesn't wear a belt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I use one every single day and love them. I have 6 right now and just sent in a blade to have a custom made. It's the only sheath I've found that I can comfortably carry a 4" blade and forget it's even there.

The button snap loop will come with standard. He also offers an IWB clip for extra if you want to carry vertically. This is how my wife carries her candiru since she doesn't wear a belt.
View Quote
Awesome!!  That’s what I was hoping to hear.  Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm chomping at the bit for the esee axe to come out.

Lately my Esee expat cleaver has seen a lot of use.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Holy crap how did I miss this thread all this time I love ESEE knives!!! Carry an Esee 3 daily and use a Junglas all the time chopping, I think I want a 5 next.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Nothing special just an Izula II mounted horizontal on a bladetech belt mount. Love this thing!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Holy crap how did I miss this thread all this time I love ESEE knives!!! Carry an Esee 3 daily and use a Junglas all the time chopping, I think I want a 5 next.
View Quote
The 5 is a heavy beast.

Do it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Let's keep this thread going.

Izula II with TKC scales

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
That's slick, I like it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Getting used......a lot!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#50]
New scales

She just keeps getting better.
Page / 24
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top