The scales or the patina process?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I started with an OD green candiru.

Etched the logos, blued them, stripped it, sanded off the primer, and used mustard and apple cider vinegar to patina it a bit.

I made the scales and epoxied them on, the scout style sheath is from a member of the ESEE forum. I think im gonna like this little guy.

http://i.imgur.com/Xbd9CxB.jpg
How's 'bout a how tos, eh?  

Can't speak for PeaceKeeper. But for me, the etching.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Etched the logos, blued them, stripped it, sanded off the primer, and used mustard and apple cider vinegar to patina it a bit.

I made the scales and epoxied them on, the scout style sheath is from a member of the ESEE forum. I think im gonna like this little guy.

Sure thing. I used radio shack PCB etchant solution, had to have my local RS order it for me. On ESEE's you'll want to do this before you remove any paint/coating.

I taped off my edge, as any exposed steel will etch if some drips.

Strip the knife down, as in take the scales off. If some were to get underneath (its like a water consistency) i imagine it would do some damage.

Make sure the knife is level and use an eyedropper to cover the area you would like etched. Logo, name, numbers, etc. I went 30 minutes and washed it off. Did that about 3 times until i got the depth i wanted. If you are going to leave the coating on, you are pretty much done. If you are going to strip it off, then you may want to use a gun blue to make the logo stand out, as i did with the Candiru. Same drill, but this stuff is more viscous and doesnt run all over.

This thread helped me get started. I cant see if the pics still work, but that forum is a great knife resource.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sure thing. I used radio shack PCB etchant solution, had to have my local RS order it for me. On ESEE's you'll want to do this before you remove any paint/coating.

Strip the knife down, as in take the scales off. If some were to get underneath (its like a water consistency) i imagine it would do some damage.

Make sure the knife is level and use an eyedropper to cover the area you would like etched. Logo, name, numbers, etc. I went 30 minutes and washed it off. Did that about 3 times until i got the depth i wanted. If you are going to leave the coating on, you are pretty much done. If you are going to strip it off, then you may want to use a gun blue to make the logo stand out, as i did with the Candiru. Same drill, but this stuff is more viscous and doesnt run all over.

This thread helped me get started. I can't see if the pics still work, but that forum is a great knife resource.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread helped me get started. I can't see if the pics still work, but that forum is a great knife resource.

Sorry for late reply.

But, THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to help, happy modding!
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Stainless Izula, my first new knife in a long time and I love it.

I'm looking to replace the OEM sheath, any suggestions? I'd like to carry horizontaly on my belt.

ETA: I just ordered the 'Architect' sheath from Armatus Carry. I'll post pic and feedback when I get it. Does anyone have one of those?

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Regalia Innovations. I've seen a lot of nice ESEE work come from there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
A limited edition red ESEE 4 I picked up a few years ago.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, thanks to my friend, his brother, and this thread, I ordered my first ESEE. An OD green Izula with kit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
" />

" />

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I like that a lot!!!! Great job! Did you do it yourself?  Is it as simple as using a file? Any tips/
View Quote

Thanks, yes did it myself, and yes anyone could do it with a simple file or two.  

I did a short description of my process in this thread

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, thanks to my friend, his brother, and this thread, I ordered my first ESEE. An OD green Izula with kit.
View Quote

They are a little spendy, but these scales will make it feel like a completely different knife.  They make a huge difference and look nice too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They are a little spendy, but these scales will make it feel like a completely different knife.  They make a huge difference and look nice too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was planning on cord wrapping it, but damn, those Mil spec camo scales would look slick on it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was planning on cord wrapping it, but damn, those Mil spec camo scales would look slick on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach/72/578472/Izula_SS_1-31-2015s.png

Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TKC scales are good to go on all ESEE knives. IMHO, they are required on the 3 and 4 (unless you are packing ultralight).
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
TKC scales are nice! I just got mine today

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sweet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.newturfers.com/mwf/attach/72/578472/Izula_SS_1-31-2015s.png

Sweet!

Thanx sasquatch, I think they're sweet too...  
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#19]
My Esee Class knife.

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my Izula today.

ETA: Cord wrapped it for now.

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got my Izula today.
View Quote

It's a neat little knife.  I got mine in venom green and in kit form.

I wrapped my handle with green paracord, but will look for some orange to keep to my VG #4 theme.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread has caused me to order TKW scales.

I didn't do nuffin' it was all the threads fault.

It made me do it.

Hurry up shipping company...

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I have an ESEE 5 on the way. Any suggestions to replace the OEM sheath.

Would primarily be carried on he belt.

Thanks. And yes pictures will be posted upon arrival.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Finaly joined the Esee club...I just received my Esee 4.  I actually ordered the partially serrated blade, but they mailed me a plain edge.  I'll probably just keep it since most folks on this thread are going with the plain edge.

I'm confident this is my first Esee, but not my last.  My 7 YO daughter wants one.  I will order her the purple Izula.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Received my ESEE-6 today, and now I'm just mad at myself for not getting one years ago. This is one impressive knife for the money! It's big, but not unwieldy, a tad on the heavy side, but more than a match for any of the camping and woodcraft tasks I have in mind for it.

The scales are a little blocky, but that's an easy fix.

I am a very happy customer, and now I've got my eye on an ESEE-4 for EDC.

Damn you, Arfcom!
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Received my ESEE-6 today, and now I'm just mad at myself for not getting one years ago. This is one impressive knife for the money! It's big, but not unwieldy, a tad on the heavy side, but more than a match for any of the camping and woodcraft tasks I have in mind for it.

Damn you, Arfcom!
View Quote

Put in in a bench vice, snap the blade and send it back with a note telling them what you did and see how good their warranty is, if you don't care for the color.

I've got both the 4 and the Izula in venom green and like the brand.

One day, I'll get the Junglas in VG, to practice my ninja moves with.

Chris

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Put in in a bench vice, snap the blade and send it back with a note telling them what you did and see how good their warranty is, if you don't care for the color.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn you, Arfcom!

Chris

No, I like the color of the knife just fine - it's the handle scales that feel a little "squared off" in the hand. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but I'm used to more of a palm swell on the hilts of my knives, so I'll probably swap these out for some of those neat scales from TKC.

If I change my mind about the color, I'll strip it and lay some paint on it, or force a patina on the bare metal. Right now, I think it's gonna be a great field knife just like it is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#30]
This question may have been answered several times before, but, what degree is the factory edge?  I have a Izula that is not so sharp anymore.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This question may have been answered several times before, but, what degree is the factory edge?  I have a Izula that is not so sharp anymore.
View Quote

Whatever degree my Sharpmaker is. I like to start with a diamond stone, then just used the brown. That works plenty good for the 1095. I'm too hard on my knives to worry about getting a perfect edge.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Yard work time

Link Posted: 3/17/2016 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are a couple great sheath companies to choose from (that I know of!) and both are well respected.

This might be the sheath you are looking for!

This is the one I have for my ESEE 3!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Think they are 20 degree.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep mine at 20
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks guys...20 degrees.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There are a couple great sheath companies to choose from (that I know of!) and both are well respected.

BigDozer66
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigDozer66

Can I add azwelke if kydex is more your preference for a sheath. I've got a couple for my ESEE 3's, and Izula 2.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESEE-5-KYDEX-SHEATH-RH-w-Belt-Clip-Taco-Knife-NOT-Included-Sheath-Only-/121926232200?hash=item1c635ea888:g:rnUAAOSwxN5WVQ0p

I bought a sheath for my ESEE 4 from this ebay seller and it's great.  Very well made.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Number 8 and counting. With my username no less

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i68.tinypic.com/zinkg3.jpg
View Quote

The more I see the bright colors, the more I like them. I can't tell you how much crap I've set down and lost because it blended into the dirt/ grass/ leaves/ wood/ mud/ asphalt/ or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone own a 3-HM yet?

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I lost my Izula II. Not happy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

On a positive note, whoever finds it will have a no questions asked lifetime warranty from ESEE.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

On a positive note, whoever finds it will have a no questions asked lifetime warranty from ESEE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoever finds it will have no clue it even has warranty.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#45]

The 4HM may just be the perfect all around camp/hunt knife. It looks great.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The more I see the bright colors, the more I like them. I can't tell you how much crap I've set down and lost because it blended into the dirt/ grass/ leaves/ wood/ mud/ asphalt/ or whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i68.tinypic.com/zinkg3.jpg

Only trying to be helpful here.....

Get some hunter orange or whatever color paracord.  Strip out the innards.  Tie-up a knife lanyard out of it.  Attach it to valuables you take into the field.

Or get a brightly colored knife, if you want.  Or do both.

I use flagging tape quite a bit for this, but on an EDC I'd be tempted to go with something more durable/good looking.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Get some hunter orange or whatever color paracord.  Strip out the innards.  Tie-up a knife lanyard out of it.  Attach it to valuables you take into the field.
View Quote

...and if you want to kick it up a notch, get the stuff with a reflective stripe...  just in case you are searching for the lost item at night with a flashlight...  

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

...and if you want to kick it up a notch, get the stuff with a reflective stripe...  just in case you are searching for the lost item at night with a flashlight...  

http://paracordgalaxy.com/675-thickbox_default/550-paracord-reflective-orange.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://paracordgalaxy.com/675-thickbox_default/550-paracord-reflective-orange.jpg

I use the Black w/Reflective Stripe a lot on my stuff.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What does the HM designate?  What are the differences between these and the originals?  I looked at the ESSE website and can't find anything.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What does the HM designate?  What are the differences between these and the originals?  I looked at the ESSE website and can't find anything.
View Quote

Modified Handle!  
Differences - no choil, modified handle, no jimping on spine, and I think the handle is a little longer.
Link
ESEE Link

Page / 24
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top