Author
Posted: 4/7/2011 11:03:38 AM
[Last Edit: 4/7/2011 11:05:18 AM by foreman2000]
I want a large chopper,camp,bushcraft ect, knife. I like ESEE but i dont really want to trash one. I know that ontario and esee used to be the same company but now that esee has left the building how does ontario's rat knives compare to esee's knives ?

Looking at the rat7, rd9 or rtak II or a esee junglas "hoonglas"
KILLERB6
"The men with green eyes"
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/7/2011 11:23:17 AM
Have you been to ESEE's site?

I think you might be mixing the two up: Ontario used to manufacture some knives for what was then RAT Cutlery where RAT=Randall Adventure & Training.

Anyway, I have a H.E.S.T. and and ESEE-5. Their knives are much larger than the website makes them appear...the -5 practically is a machete. It's large enough that I have yet to find a place on my armor to mount it w/o giving up too much other gear.

After hearing people say "damn, I cut myself w/o evening realizing it" I felt pretty stupid when I cut myself w/o even realizing it...factory edge on both of mine was superb.

foreman2000
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/7/2011 11:29:04 AM
I have an esee5 i know they are great knives but Ontario prices are a little better so i would not feel as bad about it under rough use...
AlanP
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/7/2011 12:13:05 PM
Originally Posted By foreman2000:
I have an esee5 i know they are great knives but Ontario prices are a little better so i would not feel as bad about it under rough use...

I highly doubt that Ontario will replace your knife because you jammed it into the mortar of your house and used it as a step to climb up. ESEE....yea no questions asked replacement waranty.
Merlin
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/7/2011 12:57:52 PM
Even the ESEE guys on the their old Bladeforum.com site or their own ESEE site don't trash or down talk Ontario. They'll be the first to tell you that Ontario makes good knives.

Having said that, I'd never buy an Ontario over an ESEE unless $$$ was the only criteria. Even then, I'd scrimp and save before buying an Ontario.

Good luck.

foreman2000
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/13/2011 5:07:37 PM
So what is the better buy the Esee Junglas or the Ontario Rtak II ?
Reorx
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/13/2011 6:48:59 PM
ESEE warrantee is Lifetime - No Questions Asked - you break it, they replace it. Warrantee follows the knife not the owner... (link)

For some, this would justify the price differential (and maybe then some) - for some maybe not... you make the call...
gee223
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/14/2011 4:37:32 PM
How about Esee vs Becker (this is a painful link, caution)

Click at your own risk
DangerJ
Nut up or shut up
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/14/2011 4:44:22 PM
Originally Posted By Reorx:
ESEE warrantee is Lifetime - No Questions Asked - you break it, they replace it. Warrantee follows the knife not the owner... (link)

For some, this would justify the price differential (and maybe then some) - for some maybe not... you make the call...

ESEE is the Dillon of the blade world, I guess.

That said, I've only had one Ontario knife - and it was a folder. I loved it dearly. Until one day I had it in my pocket while pumping gas. Reach into pocket for something else, knife gets bumped off the clip.

Hits pavement and every singe part of that knife came apart. Well...the grips stayed on the frame, but everything else just fell apart. I was heartbroken.

I picked it up off of the LAPG Clearance section, so it's not that I was out of a lot of money....just a "good" knife.
"The only way to bring him into understanding is by putting the pain on him and understand that everybody understands pain."
jcoffman55
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/15/2011 2:56:00 PM
For a big, lightweight chopping camp knife, I like my K Bar cutlass. It's inexpensive and good. Not made in the US though
"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm going to Texas"
Armory » Blades