Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/17/2010 7:27:53 PM EDT
I am looking for a decent horizontal tactical knife that I can run on my belt and position it either on my back or to the side. I cannot seem to find any place that sells these knifes, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to run this setup concealed and when I hunt, so it needs to be some what smaller in size and not too bulky!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Not exactly sure what you mean by horizontal, but I suspect you mean that the knife is carried in its sheath horizontally on your belt or what-have-you.

In that case, it's not so much a knife you're looking for specifically; it's a Tek Lok and an appropriate sheath. The Tek Lok allows a compatible sheath (with knife) to be carried on a belt in a vertical or horizontal position, depending on how it's attached. Most kydex sheaths are Tek Lok compatible.

Here's a link to a picture, hope this is sorta what you're looking for.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=MT1031
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
There are several methods to this- though after falling on a Tek lok I am not sure I would use one again. A simple choice would be a kydex sheath with straps around the sheath through the eyelet holes with a chicago screw. I can show you a few pics of a bowie I set up for someone else.  You just slide it onto your belt and get one of your belt loops between the straps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out ESEE knives-they have several knives that can be mounted various ways with their systems.Used to be RAT knives.
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am looking for a decent horizontal tactical knife that I can run on my belt and position it either on my back or to the side. I cannot seem to find any place that sells these knifes, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to run this setup concealed and when I hunt, so it needs to be some what smaller in size and not too bulky!
I don't know if this is what you had in mind but I occasionally carry a Becker necker (BK11) horizontally on my belt (although never in a "tactical" capacity)...  I used a little paracord to make 2 belt loops.  The ends of the paracord are heat fused to create a "ball" that is too large to fit thru the gromets although you could use a single piece of paracord and just tie the ends together...  The knife + sheath are very thin and the rig is easy to forget about (not bothersome in any way)...  The belt in the photo is 1.5 inches wide.

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice, thats how I rigged up my Izula at first. I always thought that it would be a perfect way to carry a fixed blade at the small of my back.

I had trouble re-holstering(is that a word?) the knife because I couldn'e see the opening of the sheath very well.

Now I have the little Izula mounted handle down on the strap of my backpack. Works better for me, but if I don't have my backpack, I don't have the knife. Maybe I'll get an extra kydex sheath for carrying it on my person.

Good luck in your search OP.  BD
Link Posted: 5/10/2010 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#6]
CRKT Hissatu

or

Strider DB-L

I know, I know....one is a slashy/stabby, the other a punchy/stabby.

I wear the HIssatu when I work soft clothes and the Strider inl battle-rattle.  Then again, I have never gotten into the whole horizontal carry thing either.  I carry the Hissatu vertical, 9 o'clock/weak-side IWB and the Strider is vertical/weak-side chest-rig under an M4 shingle.

ETA: Just re-read all of your original post....why the hell the need to carry small, hidden fixed-blade when you are already carrying a large rifle in plain sight?   Why not simply carry fixed-blade on your belt?  I must be mising something here....
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: Just re-read all of your original post....why the hell the need to carry small, hidden fixed-blade when you are already carrying a large rifle in plain sight?   Why not simply carry fixed-blade on your belt?  I must be mising something here....

hahahaha I just went back and re-read that too
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:30:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I carry a Benchmade 520 Presidio horizontally in a Benchmade nylon sheath in the 1 o'clock position, flap toward my belt buckle, which allows either hand to access the knife easily. It's a substantial hunk of steel and aluminum, and in this orientation, it carries like it's not even there.

The Benchmade sheath has loops for either vertical or horizontal carry.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good to me.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
NEVER let the (proverbial) Cart lead the Horse.  choose THE KNIFE that fits your needs, then get a sheath that allows you to carry the knife the way you want to.  there are THOUSANDS of benders out there, i am one of them 2 Munkeez but if i can't build what you want, or if i'm backed up with orders, go to www.bladeforums.com click on "sheaths" and they have a sticky on sheath makers.  there's SIX PAGES (possibly more now) of people who make custom sheaths.

i made a "convertible" for a friend of mine in the Coast Gaurd.  convertible meaning the hole pattern allowed the tek loc to be switched so he could carry it horizontally or vertically, depending on his current need.

but really, and i'm not pushin my products (i don't need to), buy the knife you want, worry about a sheath later.  you'll be happier in the long run.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top