Posted: 5/12/2011 7:38:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
This is relevant to my interest.
Link Posted: 5/30/2011 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not intending to hate, and I'm only a civilian, so this is just an honest question...

What's the primary market/demographic of a non-ballistic budget helmet? I can see mounting flashlights, but mounting NVGs doesn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't someone willing to drop $4k on NVGs drop some extra coin on a normal (read: not budget) helmet?
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:51:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I would guess there are alot of people buying NVG's that aren't on a 2 way range and don't want the weight of a ballistic helmet. As for being a budget helmet, People don't buy gen 3 NVG's cause they cost alot... They buy them cause they work well. How much should a plastic NVG helmet cost?
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 4:34:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CrazyWhiteGuy] [#5]
Originally Posted By the_great_mantis:
I'm not intending to hate, and I'm only a civilian, so this is just an honest question...

What's the primary market/demographic of a non-ballistic budget helmet? I can see mounting flashlights, but mounting NVGs doesn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't someone willing to drop $4k on NVGs drop some extra coin on a normal (read: not budget) helmet?

.mil helmets are not primarily intended to stop bullets. They are intended to eat high impact damage like when your truck gets fragged and you eat the sharp steel corner of a radio mount, or a loaded50 ammo can starts flying around inside the vehicle.  Like anything with an angle, it may deflect a round if it hits a sweet spot, but its more likely to stop debris or impact.

A polymer helmet might save you from smashing your dome into the dash of your jeep or something, or keep you awake if you fall out of it. It also gives a solid mount point for NVGS/LAMs. I would much prefer one of these to a kpot, even an ACH.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
I would guess there are alot of people buying NVG's that aren't on a 2 way range and don't want the weight of a ballistic helmet. As for being a budget helmet, People don't buy gen 3 NVG's cause they cost alot... They buy them cause they work well. How much should a plastic NVG helmet cost?

A ballistic FAST helmet is light as hell. And pretty available, even free if you know the right people and want one.

That basejump an others are used in .mil jumps and all other active training such as force on force where head protection is required by protocol.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Bringing this one from the way back... Does anyone know of a cover that will fit this helmet?  Been looking at the firstspear one.  I really like it but want to make sure it will fit.  Any ideas?

WP
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of these that sees moderate use, mostly for when I hunt off steep bluffs.  I wear it to my hunting spot in case I slip and fall.  Save the noggin'.  I have no cell phone signal out there, so more protection the better in case I fall.  Also acts as a quick pillow for a nice nap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top