Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/26/2017 7:13:44 PM EDT
Looking to reload, but finding pulled ball bullets is proving to be difficult. Seems like API is much more common and at around half the cost. Why is this?
Do they just cause wildfires easily?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
They are more available than the others.

Supply / demand.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
And not many ranges allow them
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've thought about getting some API, but I wouldn't dare shoot it out here unless there was a blanket of snow on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's when I shoot them, or at some sandstone bluffs near the house. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've thought about getting some API, but I wouldn't dare shoot it out here unless there was a blanket of snow on the ground.
That's when I shoot them, or at some sandstone bluffs near the house. 
A few years ago we lost a barn to a fire. Lightning hit a pile of hay and it went up quickly. The fire department had been to about 20 or so grass fires that day.

I am probably more chicken about fire than I need to be.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Every time Joe allows API/tracers, no matter how much rain has hit the ground, we have to call a cease fire to put the fire out
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#7]
they are what I mostly shoot. My range is only 100 yards and in a pit with soft dirt backing or shoot trough open fields that have large trees at the 1000 yard mark
I have never had one go off in the soft dirt and if it did wouldn't matter or when hit the soft trees. i believe They have to hit something fairly solid to go off
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looking to reload, but finding pulled ball bullets is proving to be difficult. Seems like API is much more common and at around half the cost. Why is this?
Do they just cause wildfires easily?
View Quote

Mostly because they are banned at most ranges.  I shoot mostly API's for economy  but I'm shooting into a hillside where I have no worries of starting a wildfire. Some days they are very accurate and other days they are not.  For their ability to punch through steel or take out a hostile vehicle, they are quite a bargain.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ricky,
Are you sure that the ones you'be been shooting are good? The reason I ask is that when I was in the military, if API hit anything they would go off.

Even soft dirt would do the job and those trees at 1000 yards... make sure your car or truck is running and you have fire fighting equipment in it if you ever hit one.

API start fires and not just regular fires, anything and everything that gets hit with the incendiary mix starts on fire. Just something to think about while you're shooting them.
View Quote
I have shot several into a 12x12 by 1 inch thick  plate steel and they all went bang when hit.  but they where the only ones that ever went off granted it was only a few hundred.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ricky,
Are you sure that the ones you'be been shooting are good? The reason I ask is that when I was in the military, if API hit anything they would go off.

Even soft dirt would do the job and those trees at 1000 yards... make sure your car or truck is running and you have fire fighting equipment in it if you ever hit one.

API start fires and not just regular fires, anything and everything that gets hit with the incendiary mix starts on fire. Just something to think about while you're shooting them.
View Quote
Roger that 50 Shooter.  Even when I shoot API's into a dirt hillside I see some white smoke come out the hole.  Most, if not all, of mine are working as designed no matter what they impact.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top