Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/17/2017 1:35:38 PM EDT
From 29" to 25".  Would this affect the operation or reliability of the rifle?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
"The M107CQ is 9 inches shorter in overall length (all in the barrel)"
That's quoted from wikithingy.
I shot both versions, but I didn't try to swap uppers, as the CQ was a 107 and the 29" was a 107A1 and they weren't mine to play with.
I have two barrels for my serbu semi and was also considering taking a few inches off of one of them, as the CQ was fun as all fuck and is perfect for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't answer your question but, I freaking love my CQ.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You can shorten it, but the flutes will come to an abrupt end at the brake if that bothers you. If you look at any A1 style barrel, the fluting ends about and inch or so before the shoulder.
If you shorten it, the flutes will just end. We did it a lot just experimenting with barrel lengths. It's just cosmetic. If that matters to you at all.

Wish I could remember the name of the outfit in Az or NM that would take your barrel extension and bolt and make you a new custom barrel.

Ken Rasmussen. I believe thats who it was.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"The M107CQ is 9 inches shorter in overall length (all in the barrel)"
That's quoted from wikithingy.
I shot both versions, but I didn't try to swap uppers, as the CQ was a 107 and the 29" was a 107A1 and they weren't mine to play with.
I have two barrels for my serbu semi and was also considering taking a few inches off of one of them, as the CQ was fun as all fuck and is perfect for concealed carry.
View Quote
I think your definition of perfect for concealed carry and mine are very different.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can shorten it, but the flutes will come to an abrupt end at the brake if that bothers you. If you look at any A1 style barrel, the fluting ends about and inch or so before the shoulder.
If you shorten it, the flutes will just end. We did it a lot just experimenting with barrel lengths. It's just cosmetic. If that matters to you at all.

Wish I could remember the name of the outfit in Az or NM that would take your barrel extension and bolt and make you a new custom barrel.

Ken Rasmussen. I believe thats who it was.
View Quote
What about shortening an M82a1 from 29" to
20" ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:33:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Same outcome. Will work, just look a little funky.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Same outcome. Will work, just look a little funky.
View Quote
I figured they had different parts. Had I known I could just chop the barrel I probably would have kept my 82
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top