Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/16/2017 4:05:37 PM EDT
A company that provides firearms to the movie industry has expressed interest in my Barrett 82A1. Tony White selected my rifle when he worked at Barrett for accuracy and it shoots extremely well for an 82A1. The company told me they would have to purchase another barrel, preferably one that is shot out, to modify for shooting blanks. I was wondering if swapping out barrels periodically would effect the accuracy of the original upper receiver barrel combination. I have been told that the fit of the barrel to the rear bearing in the upper receiver was key to accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
So they want to borrow it, swap in a blank firing barrel, shoot some scenes, then put the original barrel back in and send it back?
Would you receive any compensation?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The blank barrel would need to have the ring swell that goes into the barrel stop turned down in a lathe. That ring somewhat helps with accuracy and hurts function with blanks.

The bore would need to be nearly plugged near the muzzle to generate enough lressure to operate the recoilinv barrel.
Yes, you would be able to swap out barrels.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Tony
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You should probably get that company to borrow a previously blanked gun. They treat them pretty rough. I wouldn't want my personally owned rifle on a movie set.

Stenbridge Gun Rentals and another Hollywood armory should have an 82A1 that we had converted when I worked at Barrett.
We had done quite a few.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Tony,

Thank you. I am actually selling my 82A1 to the rental company. I have been thinking about selling it for over a year. The gun is so accurate I would hate to see it’s accuracy ruined by using it for blanks.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay. They can probably get a used barrel from Barrett to turn it into a blank firing gun then.
Rifle still looks good after these years.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Fire4, I just jumped in here to say that is one of the best groups I have seen from a Barrett fired at that range.  Most are NOT nearly that accurate.  Tony picked you a REALLY good one.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If I had one which shot that precisely, I think I'd have to find a different one to sell them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fire4, I just jumped in here to say that is one of the best groups I have seen from a Barrett fired at that range.  Most are NOT nearly that accurate.  Tony picked you a REALLY good one.
View Quote
When I worked there, I always hand selected the which barrels would go into which receivers then lapp them in for the most snug/almost too tight to function.
Some I would run the air gauge down the bore for the most consistent bore.
I got in trouble sometimes for taking too good a care of customers. That and taking care of their questions and concerns online after work.  Got in the most trouble for that. A lot.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When I worked there, I always hand selected the which barrels would go into which receivers then lapp them in for the most snug/almost too tight to function.
I got in trouble sometimes for taking too good a care of customers. That and taking care of their questions and concerns online after work.  Got in the most trouble for that. A lot.

Oh well.
View Quote
Tony,

The time and care you took was greatly appreciated.

Would you please send me you e-mail in a PM. The company that bought my 82A1 would like to talk to you if that is OK. BTW, they already got a request to use my 82A1 in an upcoming movie.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]
IM on the way
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Oh well.
View Quote
You know my opinion of that lying prick you used to work for.  Only the guy he screwed out of his partnership was the only one of the 7 of us that night at the Holiday Inn that got his 'promised' gun for designing the scaled up Auto 5 shotgun.

Next time you are in the Boro, yell and we will have lunch or dinner.........hopefully it is soon BEFORE I have this heart transplant.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll give you a yell when I'm in town again Mike.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#13]
We had a great time yesterday at the gun range. I let everyone who wanted to shoot the 82A1 get some trigger time and they all had big grins on their faces afterwards. The dealer that bought my rifle brought some 50 BMG blanks that he supplies to the movie industry when he rents firearms to them. After others and myself fired 50 plus rounds of my 50 BMG reloads a guest to the range fired two of the movie blanks that are loaded with flash powder.

It was good to spend some time with FCSA members I have not seen in seven years along with the new people I met at the range. I will miss my 82A1, but it is moving to Hollywood and I look forward to seeing it in the movies.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top