Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/27/2017 8:24:05 PM EDT
I'm slowly getting things set up for my 50bmg addiction. I've got the rifle and a several hundred rounds of surplus ammo but I am going to reload for it soon. I'm still trying to find a supply of ball projectiles for reloading. I can find plenty of match projectiles but I'd like to find a supply for plinking too.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Luck finding Ball or AP projectiles.

You will find API or APIT which you need to be very careful with to prevent fires.

If you do find some - buy them all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. I did find the API's but saw where they can be an issue at the range. I have a private range but do not want to destroy my targets or worry about fire.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry - didn't want to sound negative, but sometimes reality hurts. Ball and AP projectiles have not been manufactured for a long time and with the up-surge of 50BMG shooters like us, they are near impossible to find at reasonable prices. In years past I bought 3000 AP's but sold about 2500 of them at a ridiculous low price to fellow FCSA shooters.

I bought a 50cal can full of API for $100, never counted them but think I got a good deal. As a responsible shooter, I am very careful on where I shoot them. Must be after a rain or with a very good backstop which will not have any burnable massterials in its construction.

A few years ago, South African ball which weighed 695 grains were available. I have a few left.

US Ball, SA Ball, AP, API, APIT, and other 50Cal projectiles almost always have a steel core of some type under the copper shell. Some ranges will not allow steel core projectiles as their way of restricting 50BMG on their ranges.

Brass ball projectiles are available from Lehigh Products. P/N: 510-120 which weigh 650 grains. I use them with 245 grains of H50BMG powder. A near max loading = be careful and work it up in your firearm.
Mostly for Match loadings I use the 510-170's which weigh 808 grains - they will not fit a magazine as length is in excess of 6".
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy cow, i havent tried to buy ball in awhile. I didnt know the market tried up with them. I have a couple hundred loaded and a ammo can of api thats unloaded. I to dont shoot the api very much because of the fire risk. What a shame ball is so rare now. Guess that forces the new guys and us to buy new when we run out.

So really the only reason to get into reloading now is to do match ammo
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Exactly. I figured up reloading costs compared to buying surplus and it's now cheaper to buy surplus than to buy the components to reload. I like to reload as much or more than shooting. I will get the gear to do it because those cold winter days are nice spent in my man cave making boolits!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Polygunbag has decent prices and selection.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Polygunbag has decent prices and selection.
View Quote

Nope, no fmj's.

50bmg supply has fmj but at 0.85€ a rd. :0  This is crazy, never knew it was this bad to get fmj's. Hopefully some will make it onto the market agian at some point
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope, no fmj's.

50bmg supply has fmj but at 0.85€ a rd. :0  This is crazy, never knew it was this bad to get fmj's. Hopefully some will make it onto the market agian at some point
View Quote

Just bought fmj's about 2 weeks ago. Their inventory turns over quick. You have to check often.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry - didn't want to sound negative, but sometimes reality hurts. Ball and AP projectiles have not been manufactured for a long time and with the up-surge of 50BMG shooters like us, they are near impossible to find at reasonable prices.
View Quote

Ball ammunition HAS been made in the recent past for the armed forces. I got out of the Army in 2010. When we would shoot the M2s stateside, we always used M33 ball. I remember seeing lot numbers that weren't that old-as in a year or 2. Now I don't know about API and I don't know what's been happening in the interim, but at least a few years back there was new M33 being produced and issued. Now as to why we're not seeing projectiles for sale right now, that I'm not sure about.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top