Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/21/2016 9:04:08 PM EDT
Looking to get a dedicated 50 press for a bolt 50.  I don't plan on running it in huge volume, setting up my stock of rounds asap,  then 100 a year max.
Was looking at rcbs ammo master in 50 ~ damn 600$ for a press and dies...
The Lee 50 press is 240$

I hate the rcbs decapping pins, but it seems like a much better built press.
The Lee is more in my budget line, but you get what you pay for.  

Thoughts from users of either, problems or praises?
Anyone using something I'm not seeing?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Hornady.  This  I lucked up and found one used with enough components to load 400 rounds for $350.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the lee kit. The factory handle was junk, so I took a piece of solid bar, bent it made a roller handle. It completely changed the feel of the press.

The lee kit works fine for what it is. It's main drawback is that it uses non standard die diameter. But all on all it works good. I've loaded somewhere around 400 rounds with mine.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought the Lee press, have it mounted on an Inline Fab mount like my progressive.  Inline Fab roller handle.  Works well.  I use it with the Lee Bullet sizer, dies, primer ram.  Just use plenty of case lube (I use Hornady Unique and it's worked smoothly, but not TOO much or you will get case indentation).
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the RCBS AmmoMaster 50 bmg press. All I can add is you need lots of leverage sizing cases and pulling the expander back through the necks even with good lube. The RCBS has good leverage and sometimes you do need to put hard effort into operating the press handle. The Hornady press is the same press with Hornady Dies and the quick change bushing feature rather than screwing the die into the press. No experience with Lee but it doesn't look as strong as the RCBS-Hornady press?  I do have one tip to make sizing easier is to remove the primers before sizing. Pushing the spent primers out of the big crimped in pockets adds a lot of resistance at the end of the stroke. I have a punch with a pin and drive the primers out by hammering them out. I use Dillon Case lube sprayed onto a pad and roll cases to apply lube plus I use a nylon brush to apply lube to the inside of case necks. Have to lube inside the case necks. As for all bottleneck rifle cases I recommend some method to measure how much you push the shoulders back when sizing. Imperial Sizing Wax lube is also recommended.  My RCBS die set works great but mine came with a useless case trim die that you file the cases to length. Once fired military cases can be quite long. I do recommend a 50 bmg case trimmer.  I also recommend a 50 BMG primer pocket uniformer as I've found some cases with shallow primer pockets and makes it impossible to get primers flush or below. I use the K&M uniformer in my cordless drill. Once fired military has a heavy crimp and while they do make swagers I use a 45 degree countersink to cut out the primer crimp. Same procedure as smaller rifle reloading but heavy duty.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
there is only one 50 press.  Corbon.  I think that's the brand anyway... Mine is collecting dust. 
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the reasons for a full size press is the selections of dies and other accessories.

If you look at the thread I started about reloading tools, you'll see the primer punch tool. The pin on it is pretty close to being indestructible! It only fits a full size press though.

I'll have to look up the guy that has them as it was his father that made them but he passed away. Anyone that remembers GeoAZ from Biggerhammer knows his tools and the quality put in them.

As for lube, another vote for Hornady's Unique case lube.
View Quote

Nm
got it via google!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_3/467691_Reloading_tools.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've loaded thousands of rounds on my Lee Presses over the years.
The Lee press is a tank.
I hold my own against the big boys with the comp rounds I reload with them too.
I tried the RCBS, but sold it after breaking it too many times.
Like any press, there are some improvements to be made, but they are easy ones to accomplish.
Die sets are cheap and I have a set for all 3 of my 50's I own.
You can get the thread adapter and use the 7/8 puny die if needed.
I use it for the projo resizing die, for resizing the pulled projos I buy for plinking,blowing rocks up and trees down.
No matter what press you get, case lube is a real necessity.
I use one shot, or Dillon spray lube as backup.
I miss the Ol' Turkey.
Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have and use 3 RCBS AmmoMasterII presses, two of which are mounted on my bench in my ManCave (34'X48' heated garage), other one is mounted in my reloading trailer which is all equipped to reload any caliber at the range. I also have the LEE 50BMG press and dies available in trailer. Both presses are securely mounted to an inside 2.25" thick table mounted into walls using 3" aluminum Angle and self tapping screws. Between these two presses, I have the LEE mount for accessory tools to be clamped by Z-rails. (My shooting buddy brings his Hornady 50BMG press and it mounts to the LEE mount via an aluminum adapter I made for his use.)

The RCBS and the Hornady presses will handle just about anything 50BMG.
The LEE press is good for rounds limited to 5.45" basic length as required by any firearm that uses a magazine, unless custom made.
Anything longer than the 5.45" length and it becomes a real hassle getting loaded rounds out of seating die.

For you Match Shooters, the Hornady sizing die works best for me, the Hornady seating die needed modification to hold my neck-turned brass centered in die, and then a new seater stem was made to fit my 808 grain solid brass bore-riders. Run-out was still excessive so I made a new die using my chamber reamer and results are near zero run-out now. T.I.R is 0.0016 max so far. I may need to buy a chamber reamer that cuts smaller than my 0.554" necked reamer to tighten the fit even more. (I have 750 cases all neck turned to 0.0195"-0.0205" wall thickness 0.0205 X 2 = 0.041 +0.5105 = 0.5515 which gives me about 0.0012" expansion of brass per side upon firing, max condition.)

More details later if you have any interest.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Seeing as the Lee with dies and an upgraded handle is half the price of the rcbs 50 kit, I am thinking that might be the way to start.  If I go deeper down the hole I can always upgrade and use the Lee for sizing projectiles or another stage of reloading.  
I appreciate the thoughts and feedback.  Now to find where all the m33 fmj projectiles went...  .75 a pop is nuts.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
i have the lee kit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Get the Lee kit. probably find a cheap one in the EE section. Sold mine after I sold my 50BMG. It will get the job done cheaper than the rest. It works the same.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Try gunbroker for projectiles.  I've purchased most of mine from there.  Make sure you resize the bullets yourself - don't trust "already resized".  

Never too safe with 50 bmg!

I agree that you need to get all the case prep tools.  I use an LE Wilson 50 BMG case trimmer and primer pocket reamer/decrimper.  I use the Lyman 50 bmg tool as a backup primer pocket uniformer, but use it for primary case mouth deburring.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:49:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Is there a cheaper way than spending ~$150 on a LE Wilson setup just to remove primer pocket crimps? I already have a Giraud trimmer that I can get the 50BMG trimmer stuff for.

What powder do you guys reload 50BMG with?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is there a cheaper way than spending ~$150 on a LE Wilson setup just to remove primer pocket crimps? I already have a Giraud trimmer that I can get the 50BMG trimmer stuff for.

What powder do you guys reload 50BMG with?
View Quote

Just buy the reamer from LE Wilson, not the whole tool, that's what I use now. Much better than a chamfering tool.

I've used a lot of H50, but I'm liking R50 better.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I came here to post this very same question. Can anyone tell me what the differences between the RCBS Ammomaster and Ammomaster 2 are? I'm looking at one in the EE but it seems a little on the expensive side if there's a gen 2 out with significant improvements. Also, any opinions between the Lock n Load 50 BMG and the RCBS mode would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I came here to post this very same question. Can anyone tell me what the differences between the RCBS Ammomaster and Ammomaster 2 are? I'm looking at one in the EE but it seems a little on the expensive side if there's a gen 2 out with significant improvements. Also, any opinions between the Lock n Load 50 BMG and the RCBS mode would be appreciated.
View Quote

I've heard the Hornady dies are better than the RCBS, so if you're looking to get the whole kit (press and dies) you might want to research that some more. but like said before the presses themselves are almost identical, from what I've read.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top