Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/16/2016 4:40:18 PM EDT
Hey guys, if you saw my other thread then you know I was having some light strikes with my LAR Grizzly when using Survival Ops Match ammo.

I blamed it on the Grizzly - cleaned it all up - and ended up trading it away at a local shop.  I supplied a box of American Eagle with it - as it seemed to run that flawlessly.

So fast forward - and I got myself a sweet COBB BA50 in the EE.  I took it out today to sight it in for the first time - and surprise - more light strikes with my Survival Ops ammo.

I fired 8 rounds - 5 failed to go off on the first trigger pull

So this is what is going on -

Light strikes (but the dent looks good in the primer) - so it fails to go off.

It usually goes off on the second time around - some took 3 hits to detonate.

The bolt is closing quite hard - which surprises me, because the BA50 doesn't have a match chamber - so it should be eating just about anything.  

The chamber is nice and clean - no problems ejecting, no stuck bolt after the round goes off.

So what is going on?

Are the primers not seated well enough causing an issue with strikes and the closure of the bolt?

Give me your thoughts.

Thanks.

Also -

I have emailed Survival Ops - I emailed them in August about the problem - but didn't get much back other than "we'll check on it" (in reference to new/different primers, as I have used their ammo in the past without issue) - hopefully they will get back to me about a solution/exchange, etc.

Has anyone had issues with Survival Ops ammo lately?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How deep are they seated? Could be they're seated to deep or possibly not flattened enough to arm the anvil.

If you're having problems with them in another rifle, I would say it's on their end.
View Quote

Yeah, both rifles.  Never had my bolts run so hard...

Something has to be up.  Too bad really, I really like their ammo - and the first 150rds were great.  Just this batch is acting funny.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
SurvivalOps says it is new Lake City brass.  Loaded to match grade specs, but less hot than military to save on the barrel.

It should be chambering easy.  

I'll check into it more today.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I called Bushmaster and got a new hammer spring on the way.  

Hopefully they are the same.  

Anyone know the differences between the COBB and Bushmaster BA50s?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SurvivalOps says it is new Lake City brass.  Loaded to match grade specs, but less hot than military to save on the barrel.

Thanks.

View Quote

I'm pretty sure it is used. New brass isn't as cheap. The prices are still the same as when I bought ammo from them over 2 years ago. What kind of headstamps are you seeing? Any colored sealant around the primer?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure it is used. New brass isn't as cheap. The prices are still the same as when I bought ammo from them over 2 years ago. What kind of headstamps are you seeing? Any colored sealant around the primer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

http://www.survivalops.com/product/50-caliber-steel-core-ball/

Check it out - This quote is right above the contact information -

"This is newly manufactured LC Brass."

I'm not seeing any colored sealant around the primer on this batch.  I will have to get back to you on headstamping - I'm not at home.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't seem to get a reply at all from SurvivalOps.  

Tried multiple emails, voicemail and even text.

He hasn't logged in here on ARFcom since like 2014.  (Gossett68)

Hopefully he's just on Vacation or something.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Still no word from Survival Ops - this is getting pretty frustrating.

I loved my first batch of their ammo and planned to buy more after this hiccup was taken care of...  this is a bummer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
So I might just chalk this up as a loss...  a $370 loss...  But a loss none the less.

Where else can I buy .50 ammo at a decent price?  I can't get any type of reply from SurvivalOps.

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Welp.  I give up.  SurvivalOps can suck a nut.  

No replies - they don't care - or they are gone.

He has a link to ARFcom as his one big review...  Too bad I couldn't put my two cents in that old thread.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I roll my own but id look for match the same as any other. Look on ammoseek or any good ammo search rngine and keep an eye out for good deals. Sorry for the bad ammo ya got. Buy a puller and break it down for reloading later. May just need a new primer or they may have cut the primer pocket to deep. Either way you have good bullets and powder just double check the brass and primers and your not gonna be at such a loss on it
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't yet.

Bushmaster is going to fit my BCG with their new firing pin system - it is a much lighter design that gets much more speed when it comes to striking primers - see if that gives it enough punch to send these down range.  If that doesn't work, I'll be looking to do something for sure.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I am having the same problem.  Around 1/3 of my rounds fail to go off on the first strike. All of them go off on the second strike. I am certain it is because the primers aren't seated.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am having the same problem.  Around 1/3 of my rounds fail to go off on the first strike. All of them go off on the second strike. I am certain it is because the primers aren't seated.
View Quote

Having any luck with contacting them?
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you contact MrBen?

If you want his contact info let me know, he will either fix your ammo or take it in and exchange it for new ammo.
View Quote

I just exchanged Emails with him - Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Just did some checking- primer seating depth varied- most were around .009" to .010".  But there was a goodly number between .003" and .005".
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 3:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just did some checking- primer seating depth varied- most were around .009" to .010".  But there was a goodly number between .003" and .005".
View Quote

I wonder what went wrong with Survival OPs - the first 150rds I got from them was perfect.

Too bad really.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I am not bashing- just relating.  I have heard nothing but good things about this company, and the ammo is very accurate.  I may try contacting in the near future. Stuff like this just happens.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am not bashing- just relating.  I have heard nothing but good things about this company, and the ammo is very accurate.  I may try contacting in the near future. Stuff like this just happens.
View Quote

Understood.

If you do try to contact them - Good luck.  

I've tried multiple times - emails, calls, messages, texts, etc.

I've gone from a hopeful and repeat customer to completely ignored and disregarded.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top