Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 8/16/2016 6:11:42 PM EDT
Well shit.   That's just how my week has gone.

I was a bonehead and mounted my new Diamondhead sight onto my piston block on my New Adams Arms upper - yup, that thing melted like a soda bottle in a fire.

Then I look at my Samson rail and it has developed a crack, right near the piston block.

Then I cut myself on the charging handle, somehow.  

(Diamondhead is going to replace the sight, even though it was my fault.  Adams Arms is going to look at the upper and replace the rail - so it's not all lost)

So I setup with the old LAR Grizzly and start shooting some paper.  Hitting great, dead on.  I shoot a little Tannerite, a football that I found in the pit, etc

Then I start getting light strikes - not a huge deal with the LAR, just lift the bolt handle and put it back down to re-cock the action - and Boom, always on the second hit.  I'm using Survival OPS .50bmg - not sure if he changed his primers, or if I'm dealing with a worn out or light hammer spring.

Then, POOF.  I pull the trigger and after the boom, I realize my scope is all foggy.  The damn Leupold and Stevens 16x Mil Contract scope sprung a pressure leak.  It clears up over a few minutes - I try another round - still dead nuts accurate, but right back to cloudy.  Not like super foggy, but annoying foggy.  I'm sure it could use a good going over anyway.

TLDR -

My Leupold is going back for repairs - and what can I do about the light strikes on my LAR Grizzly?

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I wait.  I did it immediately the first time - then I thought about it.

No joke, that pressure would ruin your day - if not kill you.

Edit -

That's why I really want to fix my light strike problem.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Have not taken a LAR Grizzly bolt apart but it needs to be cleaned where firing pin meets inside bolt face to ensure a full stroke of pin. The firing pin itself needs to be checked to verify tip is not missing.

If your reloaded ammo has CCI#35 primers in them, there may be an issue causing your mis-fires. We as match competition shooters know that CCI#35 primers need to be "armed" before use. After primers are seated in case, we do an additional step of flattening the primer face to ensure an even pressure of firing pin will start the primer consistently. Rifles like my AR-50 will not have this problem, but my old State Arms Shorty would mis-fire almost every time unless CCI#35 primers were "armed" to a 70-80% flatness on face. (CCI#35 primers have a high dome in center.)
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Almost forgot, call LAR and talk to them. NEVER tinker with a shellholder, let the company that made it do repairs.

Late 90's to early 2000's saw a couple people get injured by tinkering with the trigger on their shellholder style rifles.
View Quote

I thought they were gone?

Edit -

Acquired by Remington and permanently closed - is what I can find.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I found a small clump of grass in the back of the bolt - gotta love a shell holder - it must have pinched it as I chambered a round/replaced the buttpad-bolt.

This could be enough to dampen the action.  I'll take it back out when my scope gets back.

The upper seems loose to the lower - or starting to become loose - I am going to re-torque all of the bolts and see if that helps as well, if there is any play, I would assume that would cause problems.

I will call Remington - but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Remington says they "bought LAR for their machinery" - no parts remain.  No product support exists.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind if mine is still messed up after the cleaning I gave it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
How long do you wait on a fire hang with one of these? I'm curious because I just won a gunbroker listing for a Grizzly Big Bore. I never gave a fire hang much thought. I've seen an M82 do light strikes too and now I wonder about that implication as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Update -

Leupold took care of me.  Said my Ultra 16X was "obsolete" and that they could not repair it.  

They shipped me a brand new MK4 6.5x20x50 with TS-29 X1 reticle, free of charge.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/mark-4-lrt-riflescopes/mark-4-lrt-6-5-20x50mm-30mm-m1/

Also, the light strike issue was caused by a small clump of vegetation that was pinched in the rear of the bolt.  I guess I must have picked it up during loading - we were shooting prone from a grassy hill/rocky hump.  All cleaned up and it works great again.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait about a minute.

DO NOT stand behind the gun when you lift the bolt and warn others around you. If by chance it does go off, you don't need the bolt stuck in your eye. Or any other part of your body that wasn't meant to hold it.
View Quote

To add to this, after waiting one minute move to the off side (Left side of gun for a right handed action) and use your left hand to raise the bolt. This way, if it fires the bolt will not be slammed into your hand or rip your thumb off as it would if you are using the right hand. Of course, this would be reversed for a gun with a Left Hand Action.  Also make sure everyone is clear from being behind or to the right side of the weapon, in case of the out of battery firing.

This is a main safety topic discussed at every FCSA Match I have attended. Always practice safety first. Especially, with the Big Guns
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top